U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:32 PM

4,070 posts, read 1,555,548 times

Advertisements

I'm retired now, but as I recall, making coffee was done by the first chick that got to the office that day. Not a written rule, just understood by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 1,015,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I'm retired now, but as I recall, making coffee was done by the first chick that got to the office that day. Not a written rule, just understood by all.
I'd prefer my coffee w/o feathers, but whatever worked there I guess.

Our office it's anyone who drinks it, first pot made by the earliest arriving imbiber.

Anyone who empties the pot starts the next. Occasionally someone might sneak off leaving an empty but most everyone is pretty good about it.
Brewing coffee is not a hierarchical or sexist thing with us and I'm surprised that's still the case with some offices.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM

3,072 posts, read 3,186,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
We have Keurigs around so there's no issue. When you want coffee, you grab a k-cup and make your own.

That has become the standard in most offices I worked in recently.

In the Air Force it was a rotating extra duty for junior airmen. But we were doing 100 cup coffee urns at a time 24 hours a day Day shift would go through 3-5 urns a day, swing shift 1-2 and Mid shift 2-3. two urns constantly cooking, when one got empty the shout would go up 'COFFEE' and the two airman assigned for the week would take the urn down to the latrine where the big sink was rinse it out (don't dare use soap or scrub it) fill it with water bring it back and put several cups of grounds in the basket, plug it in, write the time it was filled on the plexiglass over it with chinagraph pencil and go back to the break area until you were sent to the flightline for a job. Everyone did it whether you drank coffee or not. You could opt out but the coffee fund was a major way to fund things like the squadron picnic. I don't remember the 'charge' for coffee (you could run a tab by marking the note pad or pay cash) but soda drinkers also paid a 'service charge' of a nickle in the jar when they bought soda from the machine (instead of running our own soda fund since it was a large shop) It worked an

d there weren't many complaints (unless we ran out of coffee)

Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 118 times
Mostly, Our office boy makes coffee for us. In case, he (office boy) is not available and someone told me to make coffee though I don't drink it. I will make it for him or her pursuant to his/her imperatives or taste of the coffee.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:45 AM

763 posts, read 276,512 times
Whomever arrives first who drinks coffee.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 AM

33,883 posts, read 42,105,179 times
The school Librarian and I used to, the urn was located in a teacher workroom beside the Library. Did it for years, then we got some slob staff members, creamer, sugar and coffee spilled from one end of the counter to the other every day (not to mention the two staff members whose mugs were so big that the two of them would empty the urn before anyone else got any).

That went on for a year and the Librarian retired, her replacement wouldn't do it and I told people I wasn't cleaning up after their slob asses. No more group coffee at work.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,987,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Who is responsible for. Asking coffee in the morning? Is it an administrative assistant type position, or just whoever come in first? If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning and you didnít drink it, what would you think?
I've never worked anywhere where someone is "responsible". I don't habitually drink coffee, but will have it on occasion. I typically like to get my day started early. A few jobs ago, I was the first one in by a good hour. Since I'm in the kitchen making my breakfast, I'd started to make the coffee. I also started to clean the coffee pot after a while. Wasn't really doing it for anyone else, I just wanted to make sure that when I have coffee, it's to my taste (strong) and from a clean pot.

I can't imagine "ordering" someone to make the coffee. I had folks request that I make it because they liked the stronger coffee. But that was about it.

In OP's situation, I'd think that's a sure way of making sure it doesn't get made....

Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 AM

763 posts, read 276,512 times
Most operations that I've seen or worked at, managers and sale teams are there long before any admins show up. So whomever gets there first. Whining isn't allowed....

Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
I work from home now but when I was at the office there was a german cleaning lady that came in and made awesome coffee and she always cleaned the snack /lunch room as well . I don't think she is still there from what I heard . I think she was of retirement age and probably must have retired .

Old 04-16-2019, 06:51 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,548,773 times
Whoever wants it first...but we also have keurigs in addition to regular coffee machines so it just depends. I don’t drink or make coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or