Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:18 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

Who is responsible for. Asking coffee in the morning? Is it an administrative assistant type position, or just whoever come in first? If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning and you didn’t drink it, what would you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Whomever arrives first and wants coffee.

If someone asked me it would depend on the situation. If I arrived really early I’d see it as maybe they just want some help since I arrive so early. If others arrive at my time or earlier it seems like part of your job duties are now coffee maker.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Whomever arrives first and wants coffee. The person who kills the pot is supposed to make more. Ask me how often that happens.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Whomever arrives first and wants coffee. The person who kills the pot is supposed to make more. Ask me how often that happens.
I had a job years ago where I'd have to try to beat the senior software dev to the coffee pot. He made coffee so strong a sip made you feel lightheaded. He'd complain about the weak, watery brew us mere mortals could tolerate, and said we could water his coffee down, but he couldn't make ours stronger. So if he got there first, and made it his way, we'd wind up chasing purple unicorns through the halls.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:53 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
If someone above you asked you to make coffee in the morning and you didn’t drink it, what would you think?
That I wasn't a barista or an assistant. I'd tell that person they could go make it themselves.

But a lot of people are too afraid to stand up for themselves, and would be worried that "Oh, I might get fired, I better subordinate myself to this person or else!" In that case, the passive way of fixing the problem would be to make them the worst pot of coffee they've ever had in their life, and shrug helplessly if questioned and say, "I don't drink coffee, I don't know anything about it". Then they'll never ask again.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That I wasn't a barista or an assistant. I'd tell that person they could go make it themselves.

But a lot of people are too afraid to stand up for themselves, and would be worried that "Oh, I might get fired, I better subordinate myself to this person or else!" In that case, the passive way of fixing the problem would be to make them the worst pot of coffee they've ever had in their life, and shrug helplessly if questioned and say, "I don't drink coffee, I don't know anything about it". Then they'll never ask again.
That’s how I feel about it. Make your own coffee. I’m trying to justify making it, but I don’t even drink coffee, so why would I make it for someone else? My actual boss would never ask me to make coffee. The two that are passively asking i loosely report to.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,092 times
Tell those two that you can't make coffee because you can't stand the smell of it. It makes you feel dizzy and feel like to vomit. They want coffee, they can make it themselves.

Don't ever volunteer to set up tables for potlucks by yourself. If everybody does together, that's okay. Potlucks mean everyone brings their food in and eats together. But when everybody finishes eating, everyone has to take their own belonging and clean up the tables together. When you are too nice, too kind, volunteer to do lots of extra work, eventually everybody thinks that is your job. Don't offer to buy lunch for someone, or else they will get used to it and ask you often. Don't bring candies and baking goods in all the times, someone will call you an *ss kisser.

Just be nice reasonably, professional with everyone and have good knowledge about your job, you will be fine.

Help others sometime, but not too much. If you help too much, they will rely on you. Everyone should be responsible and accountable for his/her job. You are there to do your job; you don't have to please everyone. Don't be a doormat, or else someone will step on you.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 04-14-2019 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 01:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Tell those two that you can't make coffee because you can't stand the smell of it. It makes you feel dizzy and feel like to vomit. They want coffee, they can make it themselves.
It is always wise to establish your work reputation by telling transparent lies and being confrontational.

Every place that I have worked have had some people use the group coffee pot, and others do not. Coffee duty has been taken on by those that participate, with no expectation for others to set up, clean up, or anything else.

If you not quite bosses ask you to set up the coffee, simply state that you would rather not as you never drink it. No need to go overboard. Your not quite bosses may not realize that you aren't part of the coffee culture.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Couldn't agree more, jnojr. I personally can't stand the taste or smell of coffee, but have a lot of friends and family who love it. It's just not my thing, and I would politely refuse to make it if my boss asked.

If I get fired for that, then I'll happily tell that story at my next interview.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
We have Keurigs around so there's no issue. When you want coffee, you grab a k-cup and make your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment