Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:17 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,556 times

Advertisements

I work in the copywriting field, which pays well but isn't as writing- and research-heavy as I'd like.

Which areas in writing are heavily writing- and research-driven?

I've looked into it and it seems proposal writing may be a good fit. There's also medical writing, but I probably couldn't break into it without a medical background. (I studied marketing.)

Any others that you recommend checking out?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
University professors. That is the prime job requirement at top tier universities.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
As someone who's had a multifaceted career based on a lot on research and writing, I have to ask in all good humor if there isn't a certain oxymoron in the OP...

Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Explore your interests and create your own niche. People who write well are always going to be necessary. IMO (and I could be very wrong here) the need for good writers is going to increase in the coming years, especially with the younger generation so used to tYpInG LyKe THIS and using Wikipedia as a primary source. These kids are being ruined, but it's a wonderful opportunity for people who can spell and string a sentence together. The world is your oyster!

Old 04-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
People who write well are always going to be necessary. IMO (and I could be very wrong here) the need for good writers is going to increase in the coming years...
I'd like to think so. However, about 95% of "writing jobs" today are grinding out SEO-compliant "content." It's a bit like being a monk trained in very specific lettering and illumination techniques who may as well otherwise be illiterate.

Most such employers don't even care if you know anything about the field; it's not about research and writing craft, other than keyword cramming. There are many shops that just sell "content" to whomever signs up for it - legal, medical, RE, investment, home improvement, they don't care.

It's depressing.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:48 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Writing Biographies!

Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Grant writers for non profits.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:43 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'd like to think so. However, about 95% of "writing jobs" today are grinding out SEO-compliant "content." It's a bit like being a monk trained in very specific lettering and illumination techniques who may as well otherwise be illiterate.

I agree. I blame advertising. I look forward to the day advertising stops driving business decisions, but unfortunately I don't see it coming anytime soon.

People who focus on SEO are doing themselves a disservice. It's never a good idea to change your model to fit something trendy. They can (and probably will) program robots to write SEO content...and now you're out of a job.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I agree. I blame advertising. I look forward to the day advertising stops driving business decisions, but unfortunately I don't see it coming anytime soon.
Substitute the broader and more inclusive term "marketing" and you've got my agreement. Funny, I just read a long piece in the Financial Times about how the biz/ad/marketing world is discovering that "digital" and all these digitized forms of traditional advertising don't really benefit anyone but the ad platforms. Funny how that is. But then, my whole focus could be reduced to eliminating consumer marketing...

Quote:
People who focus on SEO are doing themselves a disservice. It's never a good idea to change your model to fit something trendy. They can (and probably will) program robots to write SEO content...and now you're out of a job.
Oh, no question. SEO is somewhere between voodoo and cargo cult, and the number of otherwise sensible people who are obsessed with it is staggering. But that's not what this thread is about, so.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Have you considered technical writing -- manuals, documents, etc? Besides consumer products like software, pretty much every government contract requires deliverables, tons and tons of documents describing everything about how to operate and maintain whatever was purchased.

Or paralegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment