U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 05:29 PM

29 posts, read 16,934 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working a contract accounting position. I've been there for four months and have been told the company is very pleased with my work. I have been trained on the duties of a long time employee who is partially retired. I have been told the employer doesn't start the conversation about transitioning to a permanent position until you have been there for six months, which I was fine with.

I recently found out the company has placed an ad for the position I am currently doing. I spoke with the staffing firm and they assured me everything is fine, and I shouldn't worry. The company is going to pay significantly less for this position, and they knew I wouldn't accept such a reduced wage. I don't know what another role would be unless a new position was created. I'm bummed because I had hoped this would work out, and I could stay until I retire in five years. There are many people in the accounting area that are older workers. I'm making a decent wage, and the majority of the accounting department are entry level employees. I have a bachelor's degree along with lots of experience.

I've started my job search again, but am wondering if others have had the same experience, and what was the outcome.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Couldn't speculate. Someone NOT working for that employer under the same sort of contract won't be having the same experience. Could be that a new permanent employee would start off a the lower salary (but receive benefits and insurance) then eventually work up to the pay you now get.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Staffing firms can sometimes not be truthful.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 PM

17,241 posts, read 10,169,578 times
Us humans have evolved over millenia to develop our own gut instincts. That red flag, or uncomfortable feeling in our gut about a situation.

Embrace and trust it. Never trust the word of anyone. The right mindset is to job search in earnest, that way it lessens the blow you may not get an extension or a position. And if in fact these people were right, works out then. But at least you were proactive.

OP is right to keep looking for other opportunities.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 PM

29 posts, read 16,934 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,054,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Beancounter View Post
I'm currently working a contract accounting position. I've been there for four months and have been told the company is very pleased with my work. I have been trained on the duties of a long time employee who is partially retired. I have been told the employer doesn't start the conversation about transitioning to a permanent position until you have been there for six months, which I was fine with.

I recently found out the company has placed an ad for the position I am currently doing. I spoke with the staffing firm and they assured me everything is fine, and I shouldn't worry. The company is going to pay significantly less for this position, and they knew I wouldn't accept such a reduced wage. I don't know what another role would be unless a new position was created. I'm bummed because I had hoped this would work out, and I could stay until I retire in five years. There are many people in the accounting area that are older workers. I'm making a decent wage, and the majority of the accounting department are entry level employees. I have a bachelor's degree along with lots of experience.

I've started my job search again, but am wondering if others have had the same experience, and what was the outcome.

Thank you.
I have been in the same contract position for EIGHT YEARS. People are hired all the time and others move on. As long as you are providing value, you are safe. I refuse to take a pay cut to become a permanent employee.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
I would definitely keep looking. The writing is on the wall that the client company wants to run permatemps at the lowest possible wage.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 AM

158 posts, read 40,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Us humans have evolved over millenia to develop our own gut instincts. That red flag, or uncomfortable feeling in our gut about a situation.
OP is right to keep looking for other opportunities.
I agree... OP should be concerned about the ad... shows they intend to have a non-contract employee who works for less money. If there are not multiple jobs in the company with the same description, that means the contract job will go away. Since OP is not willing to work for less they do not fit the pattern of what the company wants.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Beancounter View Post

Thank you.

This is the case always with contractors. I've been doing contract therapy for many years, and it sucks to watch people come in and be interviewed for your position. It's hard not to take it personally. In my case, my building supervisors have no control over it, corporate lets them know someone is coming in for an interview. Contractors are much higher rate so they are always trying to replace us.

In any case, you can only take it a day at a time, but you really can't expect a contract position to last 5 years.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:50 AM

85 posts, read 61,552 times
There are other cost besides salary to consider when hiring a direct employee as opposed to a contract employee like health, dental, life insurance etc. Part of those become an added cost to the price of an direct employee. Sometimes even with a lower salary, the total cost can exceed the cost of the contract worker.

I know engineering/construction companies that track how much they are paying out in benefits separately than salary. Benefits are considered overhead costs while salary can be billable hours to a customer. When the execs at these companies want to cut costs they always look at overhead cost. When word comes down that overhead needs to be cut... direct employees go out the door (layoffs)while contractors come in to replace them. Even though the contractors cost a lot more, their cost are all hourly/salary and don't count towards overhead cost so the books/numbers look better to execs and shareholders.

I know people who have been contractors at these companies for over 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment