Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,284,755 times

Advertisements

I've still gotten job offers when I told them about a planned vacation.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,571,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I agree that if the start date/first month was critical they should have stated that. I don’t think they needed to confirm OP’s availability, just as they shouldn’t need to confirm that OP has transportation to/from work, is able to work a full day, etc. Table stakes.

I also agree that the interview isn’t the place to mention vacation, unless the start date/cohort/etc. was deemed important and inflexible and communicated during the interview. Then the prospective employee needs to bring it up then.
And this is really the key to the whole question, but 90% of the people posting here don't understand that at all. I don't even think the OP fully understands it.

The function of the job interview is not simply to ask questions of the candidate and give the candidate opportunities to ask questions of their own; it's also a time for the employer to communicate vital information to the candidate about the qualifications required for the position. If the candidate realizes that they don't meet some of those qualifications, then it's incumbent upon them to bring that up at the time.

For example, if I mention during an interview that the job requires occasional overnight travel, or a valid driver's license, I'm not going to be happy if I hire them and then find out they don't want to travel or don't have a license. If that happens, I'm almost certainly going to terminate them on the spot, because they're not capable of performing the job I hired them to do. I can't use them.

Now, granted, when I'm interviewing, I always make it a point to list all of the essential requirements in one block, and then specifically ask them if any of that would be a problem, just so there's no mistake. And we don't know for sure whether this employer was thorough enough to do that. If they didn't specifically ask, then the OP has at least some wiggle room there. But the fact that they considered it crucial enough to mention during the interview at least implies that if it were a potential problem, that was the point at which they expected to be told. If I were the employer, and I hired the OP and then found out they were going on a vacation during the training period - after I specifically told them about the training dates during the interview - I would feel that the OP had not acted in good faith, and I wouldn't be happy about it at all. I can't say for sure how I'd handle it, but at the very least, it would not be a good start to the relationship.

But at any rate, this will all probably get resolved at the next step of the process anyway. Assuming the OP is selected, the next step will probably be someone from HR contacting them with an official offer, which - if they have their act together - should include specific details about start dates and training schedules. At that point, the OP really needs to make clear that they have a vacation scheduled, and then the ball is in the company's court. It's up to them to decide whether that works for them or not, whether they want the OP badly enough to work around the schedule. If so, then everything's fine. If they don't want to go ahead with it, then they withdraw the offer, hire someone else, and everyone moves on. Either way, no harm done. If they withdraw the offer, they haven't invested anything in the OP yet, and they'll almost certainly have at least one or two fallback choices who they can call an hour later.

Short version - the OP may or may not have made a blunder by not bringing it up in the interview, depending on the exact wording of the conversation, but in the end it won't matter much. If it's a problem, it will get solved at the offer stage, and if it's not a problem it's not a problem.

Edit: To the OP - if you do receive an offer, and the subject of the vacation comes up, it's probably a good idea to mention that you just didn't know whether it was appropriate to bring it up during the interview. HR may have to call the hiring manager to discuss whether they want to go ahead with you, and the first question the hiring manager will probably ask is "why didn't they say anything during the interview?". It's better for you if HR can tell them, "they didn't know whether that was an appropriate thing to mention in an interview" as opposed "I dunno." If I were the hiring manager, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the first answer than the second.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 04-17-2019 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
If it is a company starting several people in a department and holding a training class that is really needed to handle the particular job, it is reasonable, to not put you to work, and hire another person instead of you. You know it is a group training class and required, so not being available shows they cannot rely on you, so you will not be employed there

Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, it's a group training program. They don't do it individually, they train as a group of all the new hires. If training starts 4/25 all new hires need to be there 4/25.

When I worked in home care for a hospital, you couldn't start before you went to orientation, which they had once per month. If I was going to miss the date due to a vacation, I probably would have lost the job, because I would have had to wait an extra month for orientation, and my department couldn't wait that long (I was hired due to someone being out on a medical disability). They'd have had to go to someone else not because they expected me to value work over my life, but because my vacation would simply have made the timing impossible to work around.
They should have told that to the OP then. If they had, he would have probably mentioned his vacation.

Also, I get what you are saying. but not all travel is for fun. Sometimes a relative is sick or something and you are making a trip to see them before they pass. I understand dates are dates, but companies really need to be understanding of some circumstances.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,556,724 times
Facts:
-The start date is firm
-I knew of the start date before the interview
-I did not tell them of my planned vacation, which is 2 weeks after the start date.

All I can do is tell them if/when I receive an offer and see what they say. You guys can continue to debate this topic but I will not come back to it until there is an update with an offer or rejection.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,000,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So I had a final interview for a job and I didn't mention that I have a planned and already paid for vacation about 2 weeks after the start date will be. I've read after the fact that this should be mentioned during the interview but I didn't do that. Now I'm wondering if I get the job offer, how I bring this up and if this can be saved or am I doomed?
The reason you mention this is because if they still decide to hire you, they would be prepared knowing that you would be gone for these certain amount of days. Businesses know that people could have things already planned way ahead of time..they should know to at least get a heads up so they will know how to plan for your absence.It's a courtesy as well. Now if you get the job you will have to tell them this piece of info and they might be wondering why you didn't tell them at the interview...

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,196,989 times
iff during the interviews, the employer mentions that there is a strict start date becuase of training classes, and the OP failed to bring up that he had vacation during that time. that looks bad on OP since that would have been the time to mention he had booked vacation.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
It's unusual for the start date to be pre-determined, but that puts the burden on you. Inform the employer ASAP by whatever method you've been using to communicate with them. It's their call whether they have you not start, start on time and take time off or start later. Under the circumstances, you should expect that any time away for this vacation won't be paid time off.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,334,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Facts:
-The start date is firm
-I knew of the start date before the interview
-I did not tell them of my planned vacation, which is 2 weeks after the start date.

All I can do is tell them if/when I receive an offer and see what they say. You guys can continue to debate this topic but I will not come back to it until there is an update with an offer or rejection.
Exactly, because they could drag this out for months. Unless you were interviewing for a job bagging groceries or delivering pizza, it isn't reasonable in 2019 to expect most employers to make a decision and extend an offer so quickly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in 2 months you have still not heard anything about this job and might be asking you to come back in for another round of interviews.

You also need to pass a background check and drug screening? So you wouldn't be accepting a start date until those things have cleared to their satisfaction.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,334,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
There's no right answer to this -
Yes, there is. You wait until you have a real offer and if it the vacation time hasn't already passed, you ask them for a start date when you return from vacation. I can't imagine any serious job with a good employer simply telling you no, you can't do that.

Discussing your vacation plans during the interviewing process is silly, and presumptuous that they will move that quickly because you are such as great candidate that they must move at lighting speed to hire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment