U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes, there is. You wait until you have a real offer and if it the vacation time hasn't already passed, you ask them for a start date when you return from vacation. I can't imagine any serious job with a good employer simply telling you no, you can't do that.

Discussing your vacation plans during the interviewing process is silly, and presumptuous that they will move that quickly because you are such as great candidate that they must move at lighting speed to hire you.
She just stated that the employer told her of of strict and firm start date during the interview. And then she failed to mention the vacation even though she knew it would make her unavailable for that date. If the employer tells you the group training for new hires begins on May 1, and you know you’re not available to start then, you need to say something.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 AM

14,439 posts, read 17,355,312 times
Quote:
Exactly, because they could drag this out for months. Unless you were interviewing for a job bagging groceries or delivering pizza, it isn't reasonable in 2019 to expect most employers to make a decision and extend an offer so quickly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in 2 months you have still not heard anything about this job and might be asking you to come back in for another round of interviews.

You also need to pass a background check and drug screening? So you wouldn't be accepting a start date until those things have cleared to their satisfaction.

Start date is June 3. My vacation is June 17-24.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:46 AM

1,244 posts, read 820,042 times
If they seem pretty firm on the start date and this is your dream job you may just have to bit the bullet and cancel the vacation. If they seem more relaxed I'd just ask to start on July 1st since its the start of a fresh month.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 AM

736 posts, read 187,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She just stated that the employer told her of of strict and firm start date during the interview. And then she failed to mention the vacation even though she knew it would make her unavailable for that date. If the employer tells you the group training for new hires begins on May 1, and you know youíre not available to start then, you need to say something.
I do not know why people keep ignoring this fact.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 AM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She just stated that the employer told her of of strict and firm start date during the interview. And then she failed to mention the vacation even though she knew it would make her unavailable for that date. If the employer tells you the group training for new hires begins on May 1, and you know youíre not available to start then, you need to say something.
There is no real offer. Giving them a problem to solve before you even work there during the interview process is just going to get the OP eliminated from consideration, because they have nothing vested in the OP yet.

I have always moved the start date regardless of what they said and it was never a problem. Because I didn't discuss this until the offer was real.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Start date is June 3. My vacation is June 17-24.
When you get the real offer, ask if the start date can be after you can back from vacation on June 25th. This is months away, you can't be expected to put your life on hold, they might not even offer you the job. They are going to drag this process out for months, they can't expect you to not get on with your life. Besides, someone might be planning a wedding who has reserved a block of rooms, and you had to say yes now, book your flight and all that. You can't very well contact them before they made an offer and ask if this is OK, cause they will drop you from consideration because they didn't select you yet. That's just like contacting them now because you have another offer and you want to know if they will counter it, they just drop you from consideration.

Even if they had training starting on June 3rd, that is more than enough time for you to do that before you leave on June 17th.

And seriously, if the company isn't going to be reasonable you need to ask if you really want to work there after the honeymoon period is over.

If they want you to cancel, I'd ask for a signon bonus as compensation for any costs you might have that you'd lose out on. But I wouldn't do a thing until a real offer came in.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
I do not know why people keep ignoring this fact.
You can't expect everyone interviewed to delay their life plans for months the company drags out this process. If it was that important to the company, they would make a real offer to the OP today so everyone who interviewed including the OP could get on with their life. Just because they want to freaking drag this out for months doesn't mean everyone who interviewed has to take it on the chin. The OP and perhaps 20 other people were told the same start date, they aren't all going to get an offer.

These days, companies say a lot of things, but start dates get delayed all the time cause of background checks, office space isn't ready, a work station hasn't arrived for them, etc.

The only real hard dates would be to represent the company at a trade show on your first day, and that simply isn't going to happen, not with any good company.

It is also a tactic to tell those interviewing about a start date months away, so that you don't apply for other jobs and wait to hear from them. After a few months of waiting by your phone and e-mail, that can soften anyone up to accept the offer without any negotiation.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:25 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Quote:
There is no real offer. Giving them a problem to solve before you even work there during the interview process is just going to get the OP eliminated from consideration, because they have nothing vested in the OP yet.

I have always moved the start date regardless of what they said and it was never a problem. Because I didn't discuss this until the offer was real.
Again hopefully for the last time, this job requires you go through training classes, as a group with all the new hires. They canít change the start date.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:00 PM

736 posts, read 187,929 times
Quote:
You can't expect everyone interviewed to delay their life plans for months the company drags out this process. If it was that important to the company, they would make a real offer to the OP today so everyone who interviewed including the OP could get on with their life. Just because they want to freaking drag this out for months doesn't mean everyone who interviewed has to take it on the chin. The OP and perhaps 20 other people were told the same start date, they aren't all going to get an offer.

These days, companies say a lot of things, but start dates get delayed all the time cause of background checks, office space isn't ready, a work station hasn't arrived for them, etc.

The only real hard dates would be to represent the company at a trade show on your first day, and that simply isn't going to happen, not with any good company.

It is also a tactic to tell those interviewing about a start date months away, so that you don't apply for other jobs and wait to hear from them. After a few months of waiting by your phone and e-mail, that can soften anyone up to accept the offer without any negotiation.
Nobody is dragging anything out. They clearly communicated a hard and fast start date for this position. The OP has a vacation during that training. At the time they said "This class starts June 3rd" - that's when the correct time to disclose something like this is.

We're not talking rocket science here. It's simple reading.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
What I would do, assuming that I have the job, and definitely want the job, is go to the HR manager and tell her that you have already paid for a vacation from xxx to xxx. While you would not do anything to jeopardize this opportunity, you wanted to make sure that the vacation must be cancelled before you do so.

Then you will need to perhaps work out a credit or a date change for the vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or