Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 PM

1,487 posts, read 775,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So I had a final interview for a job and I didn't mention that I have a planned and already paid for vacation about 2 weeks after the start date will be. I've read after the fact that this should be mentioned during the interview but I didn't do that. Now I'm wondering if I get the job offer, how I bring this up and if this can be saved or am I doomed?
What do you want more, a vacation or a job? Yes you'll be losing money, but you'll be making money. Maybe you should have waited to job search until after the vacation was over, or you should have mentioned it in your interview.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,106,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes, there is. You wait until you have a real offer and if it the vacation time hasn't already passed, you ask them for a start date when you return from vacation. I can't imagine any serious job with a good employer simply telling you no, you can't do that.

How about an employer who is under contract to provide personnel for a project starting on a fixed date and failing to do so amounts to breach of contract? The employer is needing people who can do the work when it must be done not when it is convenient for the employee.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:40 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,591,666 times
Any more suggestions on how to word this when I tell them?

Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 AM

9,317 posts, read 8,233,164 times
Quote:
"I'm sorry, I failed to mention my planned vacation that is scheduled at the same time as my start date and I know that coincides with the training courses. Is there any flexibility with my start date or the classes? Do you, perhaps, have other classes scheduled either before or after that date?"

Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,591,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
"I'm sorry, I failed to mention my planned vacation that is scheduled at the same time as my start date and I know that coincides with the training courses. Is there any flexibility with my start date or the classes? Do you, perhaps, have other classes scheduled either before or after that date?"
Thanks.

FYI - The training start date is firm and the next training is not for a year (starts every June).

Old 04-20-2019, 11:36 AM

29,457 posts, read 22,419,950 times
OP has been given plenty of good advice already, including what to say. Nothing more needs to be mentioned in regards to this.

At this point it's beating a very dead horse, and there's not even a firm job offer even.

Also, if the training dates are set, then cancel the time off or find another date to take time off. Setting a good first impression is more important than trying to negotiate time off.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:47 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,082,638 times
Quote:
Thank you. I've been looking for the correct wording for this when I do tell them. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to word it, I'd love to hear them.

And for the record, the training lasts 6 months. It's not a short training.
Quote:
Thanks.

FYI - The training start date is firm and the next training is not for a year (starts every June).
Based on this additional information, it sounds like if you get an offer, the choice will be whether to accept the offer and cancel the vacation or to decline the offer.

At best, you could ask whether any time off is allowed during the training, but still make it clear that you can cancel the vacation if you need to, and see what they say.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:04 PM

50,339 posts, read 35,989,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Based on this additional information, it sounds like if you get an offer, the choice will be whether to accept the offer and cancel the vacation or to decline the offer.

At best, you could ask whether any time off is allowed during the training, but still make it clear that you can cancel the vacation if you need to, and see what they say.

Yes. And while most trips aren't refundable, some or many parts of the vacation (travel, hotel, excursions) may let you change dates for a fee if they won't let you cancel. I had to cancel a trip before. The hotel was easy, for the flight I had to pay $100, but it was then an open-ended ticket and I had a year to re-book it. I think some airlines charge up to $200 now.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:22 PM

33,828 posts, read 16,841,023 times
Quote:
No.

All you can do is hope for the best, but brace for the worst, assuming an offer comes.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:10 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,906,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Because OP apparently isn't as perfect as you are.

OP - wait until you get a formal offer. When you receive the offer, contact the HR person (or hiring manager) who did the final interview letting them know about your planned vacation. Most companies will be flexible with respect to this as long as you let them know up front.

Interviews are not the time to be talking about planned vacations unless it is mentioned casually.
I agree. The time to discuss it is when the offer is extended. I don't think during the interview process would be the time to discuss it in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.