U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 PM

2,655 posts, read 3,047,705 times

Advertisements

Being in recruiting this sort of thing just happened to us and although we figured it out, the new hire was happy, the hiring manager/assistant was peeved because she felt the new hire didn't say anything at the interview (not a good impression) and that the recruiter didn't relay the info. The recruiter stated she was never told. So fingers are pointing away. Knowing that....here's my two cents.

Bring it up during the offer.

Maybe say something like this if speaking to a recruiter, "I verbally accept your offer. I know the start date is June 3rd and I wanted to inform you that I have a planned vacation for June 17-24. I realize I may not be paid any vacation time, but I wanted to make sure that isn't going to be a problem with the hiring manager nor will it interrupt my training too much." See what they say, then you can add in, "I'd like to be proactive about this, so would it be possible to have the HM contact me prior to my start date to discuss my time off, how it will affect my training, if there's anything I can do to ensure my training isn't affected too much, etc?".

If it's a HM making the offer, just address them directly. If it was the recruiter and you don't hear from a HM prior to your start date, be proactive and reach out a week before your start date (they could be waiting for your bg check and stuff to clear before calling you to discuss).

Old 04-20-2019, 07:00 PM

18,843 posts, read 7,328,222 times
If you get an offer OP, ask if you can attend training via Skype for Business or any other remote meeting share service.

If they agree, attend the sessions remotely, the full day.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:42 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,920,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Isn't that implied by the fact that the employer made clear the start date prior to making an offer and the candidate continued to interview? If I say we are hiring a new class and training starts May 1st, then I expect you to speak up if that is going to be a conflict.
^ Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I get businesses exist to make money, but morale and respect for employees is extremely important as well.
I think respect goes both ways. If I were an employer and I have told you the start date and you know you have a vacation plan that coincides with working--please speak up, don't waste my time.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:10 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If you get an offer OP, ask if you can attend training via Skype for Business or any other remote meeting share service.

If they agree, attend the sessions remotely, the full day.
Why bother to go on vacation then, if the OP is going to work through it anyway? May as well stay home and not get dinged for being "the guy who went on vacation during training"

Old 04-21-2019, 05:45 PM

18,843 posts, read 7,328,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Why bother to go on vacation then, if the OP is going to work through it anyway? May as well stay home and not get dinged for being "the guy who went on vacation during training"

I am implying paid as regular hours worked while attending training via Skype.

If they have a hard start date, hard training date, and OP gets an offer this may allow them to keep the offer.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:03 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am implying paid as regular hours worked while attending training via Skype.

If they have a hard start date, hard training date, and OP gets an offer this may allow them to keep the offer.
Unless the training is already being offered remotely to others, OP will still be the person who went on vacation. And that's even assuming it's training that could be done remotely and doesn't require hands on work, distribution of materials to work in that aren't given in advance, etc.

Canceling the vacation would also allow OP to keep the offer, if it's the job they really want and that's what it takes. Assuming they get an offer, of course.

And as I've posted up thread, I absolutely believe that for a typical position, an employer who won't accommodate an already scheduled vacation when an offer is made is not a good employer to work for. But this is clearly not a typical situation if it's a 6 month training class that is only offered once a year.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 354,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I agree. The time to discuss it is when the offer is extended. I don't think during the interview process would be the time to discuss it in any case.
Look how problematic that has become. This thread should be a cautionary tale to everyone. If you're job searching, keep your calendar free. Have nothing hanging in the balance. Upcoming vacations and a new job and/or training do not mix.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 AM

8,974 posts, read 8,096,455 times
It is very apparent, a lot of people on this thread, have no idea of having a required training class on just an occasional time frame. You train a group to do the job, and until they are trained, they are useless to you.

If they want to be gone the second and third week, they are of no value to you, so you will hire someone else for the position that can complete the training.

It is not the employers fault that they will not keep the job open for the employee, that cannot/will not take the entire training course because they prefer to take a 2 week vacation over being trained and having a job.

And taking those two weeks training via Skype, is not acceptable.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM

14,439 posts, read 17,358,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Being in recruiting this sort of thing just happened to us and although we figured it out, the new hire was happy, the hiring manager/assistant was peeved because she felt the new hire didn't say anything at the interview (not a good impression) and that the recruiter didn't relay the info. The recruiter stated she was never told. So fingers are pointing away. Knowing that....here's my two cents.

Bring it up during the offer.

Maybe say something like this if speaking to a recruiter, "I verbally accept your offer. I know the start date is June 3rd and I wanted to inform you that I have a planned vacation for June 17-24. I realize I may not be paid any vacation time, but I wanted to make sure that isn't going to be a problem with the hiring manager nor will it interrupt my training too much." See what they say, then you can add in, "I'd like to be proactive about this, so would it be possible to have the HM contact me prior to my start date to discuss my time off, how it will affect my training, if there's anything I can do to ensure my training isn't affected too much, etc?".

If it's a HM making the offer, just address them directly. If it was the recruiter and you don't hear from a HM prior to your start date, be proactive and reach out a week before your start date (they could be waiting for your bg check and stuff to clear before calling you to discuss).

Thank you for this. I may tweek this a little bit. I think it will most likely be the HM making the offer.

Last edited by srjth; 04-23-2019 at 10:27 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 04:53 AM

1,546 posts, read 399,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Thank you for this. I may tweek this a little bit. I think it will most likely be the HM making the offer.
You contact them before they made a real offer and tell them any version of this about your vacation, don't be surprised to get a form e-mail shortly after that they decided to go with another candidate. Because as they drag out this hiring process for months, they are looking to eliminate people from the list. Management is about solving problems. If training is six months, you can miss two weeks without a problem. People here are inventing ways for people to put their lives on hold at the promise of a job without any real offer, which is insane. They asked you about a June 3rd start date, sure you can do that. If they really cared about your vacation they would have asked you directly about it. No one can be expected to be there for six months without missing any days at all. If the management there is good, they won't have an issue with a vacation when the real offer comes in. If they won't hire you because of it, you should look for some place else to work because it is unreasonable to expect people to put their life on-hold for months like that.

I've hired people who had vacations within the first month they were there. We simply handled it and it was discussed when we made an offer. It would be rude and presumptuous as an employer to expect all the candidates to clear their calendar for a job they might not get that started months away that they won't take any time off for six months after that. We would never do that to anyone. So don't do this to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or