Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,582,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
I do not know why people keep ignoring this fact.
Because they "never heard of a job where the start date is non-negotiable," therefore such a job just can't possibly exist.

Honestly, I sometimes think the Work and Employment forum has some of the most narrow-minded, stubborn, and just plain useless advice on the entire site.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:27 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,575,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I would do, assuming that I have the job, and definitely want the job, is go to the HR manager and tell her that you have already paid for a vacation from xxx to xxx. While you would not do anything to jeopardize this opportunity, you wanted to make sure that the vacation must be cancelled before you do so.

Then you will need to perhaps work out a credit or a date change for the vacation.

Thank you. I've been looking for the correct wording for this when I do tell them. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to word it, I'd love to hear them.

And for the record, the training lasts 6 months. It's not a short training.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 PM

724 posts, read 523,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Thank you. I've been looking for the correct wording for this when I do tell them. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to word it, I'd love to hear them.

Oooof. Six months?

Dang - how good is this job? I think you’re just going to have to make the decision to either be in or out.

It can’t hurt to use the wording in a previous post and let them know that you have a two week window that you’ll be unavailable, and hope that would be workable.

What’s the worst that happens? You don’t get the job?

Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,342,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

Six months? So for six months they are going to pay you, no work at all, and just training?

That sounds suspect. What sort of training is this? Is this really training or is this on the job training? Even studying for certifications part-time usually only takes people a couple of months.

And what if you got the flu during those six months of training, would they fire you?

Is there something you've not told us. Are you joining the military and this is enlistment?

Old 04-19-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Nobody is dragging anything out.
They are dragging it out. Today is 04/19/19 and the job doesn't start until June 3rd? Why don't they make an offer to the OP now, so the OP and the rest of those who applied can get on with their lives?

Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I would do, assuming that I have the job, and definitely want the job, is go to the HR manager and tell her that you have already paid for a vacation from xxx to xxx. While you would not do anything to jeopardize this opportunity, you wanted to make sure that the vacation must be cancelled before you do so.

Then you will need to perhaps work out a credit or a date change for the vacation.
If the OP does that now without a real offer, they will say "thanks for telling us, but we have not made a choice yet". Then the HR person will drop the OP from consideration for the job, cause they don't like anything that requires work for them or to think. You are giving people in HR way too much credit. Then within a day or so, the OP will get an e-mail saying they are no longer pursuing their candidacy.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 PM

724 posts, read 523,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
They are dragging it out. Today is 04/19/19 and the job doesn't start until June 3rd? Why don't they make an offer to the OP now, so the OP and the rest of those who applied can get on with their lives?
Because June is when the training starts. Jesus. It’s not that hard. There are a ton of jobs that have detailed training cycles - heck, I don’t consider my new hires “trained” for at least a year and the first 3 months are very regimented. You can call that “suspect” but I call it giving the skills to succeed, which is why my turnover runs about 4-5%

Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,077,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would not want to work for a company who made me choose between them or a vacation (that is likely non-refundable).

That's a red-flag right there. If they are a company that cares about their people and value work/life balance, they will work around you.

Don't book non-refundable vacations without buying trip insurance. Life happens.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Companies should understand and respect people have lives outside of their jobs and these trips were likely booked before the job was even posted.

If they are a co who puts money before people, see ya!

Understanding an employee's needs and accomodating an employee's needs may be two different things. An employer is hiring in the first place because there is a job to be done, and it may not be within the employer's discretion to change the dates of that job (think contractor).

Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And I do think that employer does also have some responsibility here too, and if they considered the start date to be critical, they certainly could have confirmed OP's availability during the interview process.

Isn't that implied by the fact that the employer made clear the start date prior to making an offer and the candidate continued to interview? If I say we are hiring a new class and training starts May 1st, then I expect you to speak up if that is going to be a conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment