Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 322 times

Advertisements

I was approached by a family friend and he asked if I would join his company in a management role. It woul be managing the company as a whole along side him. He runs a midsize company and needs help. I am struggling with the idea of taking the leap out of law and into this new venture. Its a solid company that has been around for over 20 years and on paper has a solid future. However, I am aware that can always change. I have wanted to leave the legal field(litigation) for and these seems like a solid opportunity to do so. I will also be named general counsel - so will still have some legal capacity.

I am just struggling with the idea of making a change - I know there is no reward without taking a risk. I would also be leaving my firm which is run by my inlaws. My wife is on board and thinks we need to break away from her family. Has anyone left the law here and moved into a management role? any tips or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,537,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfeitDuck View Post
I am just struggling with the idea of making a change
Separate the two ideas. 1) Management generally. 2) This specific company.
Deal with each set of questions/issues on their own.

Quote:
My wife is on board and thinks we need to break away from her family.
That's 90% of the battle right there.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,588,689 times
Go for it. Most people I know who left litigation for management are much happier. I had one coworker who came into my department (from management) for about a year and then she went back to management. I had one friend who was in a management job and while he was stressed about it, I asked if he wished he was back in his old job and he said absolutely not... so I think that generally most people are happier to have left.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 AM

497 posts, read 417,344 times
You weren't specific to say you are a lawyer or a law clerk.

I would ensure with this company that you get a title so that you keep your lawyer title (if you are one) and stay licensed and make sure the employer will pay for your lawyer renewal. Make sure you will earn the amount that you make at the law firm and there is growth in pay.

Perhaps you need to work at this company and live a less stressful life or move to a different law firm.

There is something else, what ties and obligations will this job affect relationships with your family, your in-laws? Could it be that you end up being someone else's b*tch and you are not in a better situation compared to working at your in-laws law firm?

Please update us.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 AM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
It sounds like this post from last month.

Stay in Law or go Management?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment