Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times

Advertisements

I can't stand how the masses seem to take every single word of "advice" from these wealthy people as the Word of God. I really don't care if Donald Trump, Warren Buffet or Mark Cuban thinks what worked for them will work for me too. Some of these "billionaires" inherited money to start with, giving them a huge leg up on everyone else. Others were in the right place at the right time. But I certainly wouldn't take any life advice from a guy like Ma, who looks to me to be a serious social outcast. Probably from working all those 12 hour days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Which he was able to acquire by doing those ungodly hours. So I can see where he's coming from.

I don't agree with any of it through - hard work isn't only measured by the number of hours put in. And simply putting in hours isn't going to guarantee you anything.

At the end of the day - it's simply the perspective of an individual. Like anyone else, he's entitled to his. And he is free to run his company how he sees fit. I also know I will never work for a company that prioritizes "face time" over actual productivity.
Remember he started Alibaba via borrowed money from his friends and family. I believe it was 60K or so. Why didn't he do a 996 until he had 60K? LOL.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Remember he started Alibaba via borrowed money from his friends and family. I believe it was 60K or so. Why didn't he do a 996 until he had 60K? LOL.
Yep....That's the golden question.

And Mark Cuban got lucky in the dot com era screwing over Yahoo.

There's always a catch.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Of course he wants his workers to work more. I'm glad I don't live over there and work for his company.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Andrew Carnagie (U.S. Steel), J Edgar Thomson (Pennsylvania Railroad), and Charles M Schwab (Bethlehem Steel) would agree. Up through 1920 steelworkers worked 12 hour shifts including a 24 hour shift at changeover from day to night.

Yeah, that's how it was for most of human history. G-d rested on the 7th day, so if He worked 6 days a week then so did we. And of course the vineyard workers worked 12 hours a day in Matthew 20.

Until the late 19th century it was common to work 6 days a week. The 40 hour work week is a 20th century invention.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 AM

780 posts, read 425,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I can't stand how the masses seem to take every single word of "advice" from these wealthy people as the Word of God. I really don't care if Donald Trump, Warren Buffet or Mark Cuban thinks what worked for them will work for me too. Some of these "billionaires" inherited money to start with, giving them a huge leg up on everyone else. Others were in the right place at the right time. But I certainly wouldn't take any life advice from a guy like Ma, who looks to me to be a serious social outcast. Probably from working all those 12 hour days.
I think your point is valid. And maybe Ma is a social outcast. And maybe that pushed him to find comfort in his work. And hey, it made him rich, so can you blame him for having those sentiments?

I think you can respect what the guy stands for without buying into it yourself. A lot of people who throw themselves into their work, or anything for that matter, are compensating for the lack of balance they have across other areas (family, friends, hobbies, etc.). And if that's what makes them happy, then so be it. It's not hurting anyone else, and no one is being forced to work at Alibaba for this crazy '996' schedule. So let Jack Ma believe that his radical '996' schedule is a proper way of life. If he finds people that want to work for him, all the more power to his philosophy.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 04-16-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Attitudes like that will lead towards a push to unionize just like it did in the US.

Except here we had more than one political party.

In China it will be ruthlessly crushed. (It was in the US too but they found a political voice eventually)

Probably the best bitter irony I've ever seen in my life and a great lesson in concentrating power "for the good of the people" will eventually go perilously wrong.

The "peoples party" run by billionaire capitalists exploiting workers and using the communist party mechanisms to do so.

When that dam finally breaks, well it's going to be interesting times in China.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I think your point is valid. And maybe Ma is a social outcast. And maybe that pushed him to find comfort in his work. And hey, it made him rich, so can you blame him for having those sentiments?

I think you can respect what the guy stands for without buying into it yourself. A lot of people who throw themselves into their work, or anything for that matter, are compensating for the lack of balance they have across other areas (family, friends, hobbies, etc.). And if that's what makes them happy, then so be it. It's not hurting anyone else, and no one is being forced to work at Alibaba for this crazy '996' schedule. So let Jack Ma believe that his radical '996' schedule is a proper way of life. If he finds people that want to work for him, all the more power to his philosophy.
I don't necessarily blame these billionaires for these stories, with the news media 24/7 now they are always looking for new content and the "Billionaire claims you can makes millions by skipping this ONE thing every day!" clickbait stories. They could have mentioned something in an unrelated interview and the CNBCs of the world will make it into a news story.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:07 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
QFT

Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 AM

780 posts, read 425,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
QFT
The other side of that argument is that if you take on the risk that comes with starting a business, then you should be able to reap some of the rewards.

That's not to say that you should exploit your workers out of greed. Treat them right, and you'll likely find that you'll be able to comfortably reap a reasonable amount of reward for quite some time. Treat them bad, and you'll constantly have to deal with replacing them, which can very well hurt your reputation and brand as both an employer and a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment