U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:31 PM

5,908 posts, read 2,284,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Well, it certainly was hard work to get himself to that position where he could do that. A lot of people look at the end of the journey and neglect what it took to get them there.
And most of us have no desire to achieve that end. And most of his employees will never be in his position no matter how many hours they work. Yes I have worked 70 to 84 hour weeks both for myself and for others. Just not worth it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM

1,856 posts, read 714,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I'm not defending this guy's philosophy, but I think it's often underestimated how much time a CEO or executive puts into the company. They might not be spending 12 hours hammering out code or spreadsheets, but they spend a lot of time in meetings, giving presentations, schmoozing for business, and promoting the brand on behalf of the company and shareholders. Say what you want, but it's an exhausting lifestyle. Note that I consider it a lifestyle, not just a job. Sure, the pay can afford you many comforts and influence in life. But there's absolutely no way I'd want to do it.
Yes, I think that you are right. But when you reach that level and have all that money, you can retire anytime and live comfortably. You don't have the pressure that the ordinary middle class Joe or Jane faces. To put in all that overtime but live on a limited paycheck, shaking in your boots if you get fired, not sure if you can get another job.

But for these billionaires and multi-millionaires, if anything goes wrong, they can just walk away. It's not like they are going to be homeless or starve to death. That makes working those hours more pleasurable, since their personal lives are set.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:14 AM

3,992 posts, read 1,806,395 times
I don't mind working a lot of hours if I'm getting time and a half over 40.
But working over 40 hrs for free? Stick that where the sun don't shine...

Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 AM

5,261 posts, read 3,311,295 times
When I worked down in Antarctica for a contractor, we worked 6 days a week, 9 hour days, Monday through Saturday, so 54-hour weeks. We still had to pay US taxes, federal and state (unless your permanent mailing address was in a state with no state income tax), since the US Supreme Court ruled, nobody "owns" Antarctica and it's therefore not a foreign country, like say US citizens working in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. But ironically, the US Department of Labor says, since you are not working in the United States, overtime laws/rules don't pertain to us, so no time and a half after 40 hours.

We do get a completion bonus, once you finish your contract and depending on how many seasons of "ice time" you have, you can get up to a 20% bonus, which is nice. Lots of my coworkers wished it was an either or situation, like allow us to not have to pay federal income tax but we get no OT pay over 40 hours or we pay federal income tax but we get OT pay over 40 hours. The one good thing about working in Antarctica, is there's not that much to spend your money on, except for alcohol!

Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 AM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
When I worked down in Antarctica for a contractor, we worked 6 days a week, 9 hour days, Monday through Saturday, so 54-hour weeks. We still had to pay US taxes, federal and state (unless your permanent mailing address was in a state with no state income tax), since the US Supreme Court ruled, nobody "owns" Antarctica and it's therefore not a foreign country, like say US citizens working in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. But ironically, the US Department of Labor says, since you are not working in the United States, overtime laws/rules don't pertain to us, so no time and a half after 40 hours.

We do get a completion bonus, once you finish your contract and depending on how many seasons of "ice time" you have, you can get up to a 20% bonus, which is nice. Lots of my coworkers wished it was an either or situation, like allow us to not have to pay federal income tax but we get no OT pay over 40 hours or we pay federal income tax but we get OT pay over 40 hours. The one good thing about working in Antarctica, is there's not that much to spend your money on, except for alcohol!
Funny how it's always alcohol that manages to get to the remotest corners of the earth...

Old 04-17-2019, 01:36 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,558,065 times
996= indentured servant.
Better be it after 7 hr work day,and double ot on weekends.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

They have liquor stores in Antartica?

Old 04-17-2019, 03:20 PM

5,261 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
They have liquor stores in Antartica?
More like a "gift shop/store" that sells souvenirs (T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, stickers, patches, etc.), some toiletries (toothpaste, shampoo, floss, etc.) and then alcohol as well include, beer, wine and hard liquor.

My first winter at Palmer Station (the smallest of the 3 US stations) the summer Admin ordered way too much Guinness in the cans, so to get rid of the leftover cases (14.9 fl. oz. can, 24 pk.) she was selling a can of Guinness for $0.50, a case for $12.00. The soda in our store, at that time, was $0.75 a can!

Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM

2,404 posts, read 684,967 times
Unpaid overtime = corporate welfare.

And didn't this out of touch creep tout the 4 day workweek?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/59273171.cms

Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,010,942 times
And hey, look, it's not just losers on an internet forum who think Ma is full of [how do you say 'crap' in Chinese?]!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/o...ck-ma-996.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or