U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2019, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,902 posts, read 3,582,163 times
Reputation: 7180

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
[how do you say 'crap' in Chinese?]!
Phonetically it's "Gway’tsuh"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2019, 11:09 AM
 
51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Well la de da!

He can do what he wants, I liked my time off when I worked!

Why the hell work when you don't have time to enjoy the money you made?
The China employment model has already solved that. They also underpay you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 AM
 
1,560 posts, read 775,725 times
Reputation: 6794
This bonehead likely doesn't give a damn, but death by overwork is epidemic in China and Japan. Who cares though, as long as the top tier make buckets of money on the backs of their obedient little worker ants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 PM
 
3,270 posts, read 845,371 times
Reputation: 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
This bonehead likely doesn't give a damn, but death by overwork is epidemic in China and Japan. Who cares though, as long as the top tier make buckets of money on the backs of their obedient little worker ants.
People don't realize Jack was his CHOSEN name upon coming to America. Chosen because "it is the most popular first name among CEOs" or was, at one time.

Many billionaires are eccentrics, not because they're so far out of touch with the hourly worker, but because they're just so far out of touch in general. They cannot be reasoned with, but have themselves together enough that they still possess a certain amount of credibility. This works to their advantage at the negotiating table, and more than a few get their start with promises on paper by projecting their delusions when they really have nothing in their pocket and even less in the bank.

The ones who aren't too aloof to respect that opportunity, will become successful.

Those who don't respect the chance or money invested in their ideas, go bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,480 posts, read 4,220,336 times
Reputation: 9780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Funny how it's always alcohol that manages to get to the remotest corners of the earth...
LOL I needed that post on a boring working afternoon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 PM
 
4,023 posts, read 7,672,212 times
Reputation: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, that's how it was for most of human history. G-d rested on the 7th day, so if He worked 6 days a week then so did we. And of course the vineyard workers worked 12 hours a day in Matthew 20.


Until the late 19th century it was common to work 6 days a week. The 40 hour work week is a 20th century invention.


As are careers to quote the legendary Christopher McCandless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 01:52 PM
 
601 posts, read 436,053 times
Reputation: 560
Lots of people I've worked with in the past used to say "I haven't had a real vacation in x number of years." They would say this proudly. I would always think to myself "that's sad."

You're not going to get that time back and who the hell looks back on life when they're older and wished they worked more hours?

But if people want to work themselves to death, more power to them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 02:17 PM
 
3,771 posts, read 5,472,107 times
Reputation: 2990
What's the point of living if all your waking hours are for working, eating so you can work and sleeping so you can work. It would be better to be a bum living off of welfare, food stamps and gov healthcare. You wouldn't have any time to enjoy the money you made, so you might as well get to enjoy your free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM
 
1,828 posts, read 739,571 times
Reputation: 3009
996 isn't even accounting for commuting time. Maybe everyone lives close to their workplace in China. I have no idea.

Terrible idea. That means people have even fewer hours at home to rest or be with their families. And I know for sure the Chinese have children at home (at 1 billion people?)

Working longer hours doesn't even mean eventual high pay or however you're defining success. It just means you're doing more work because you have more hours available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 03:05 PM
 
1,828 posts, read 739,571 times
Reputation: 3009
996 isn't even accounting for commuting time. Maybe everyone lives close to their workplace in China. I have no idea.

Terrible idea. That means people have even fewer hours at home to rest or be with their families. And I know for sure the Chinese have children at home (at 1 billion people?)

I don't know how Jack Ma defines success, but working more hours sometimes simply means you're doing more work because you have more hours available. Whatever happened to working smarter, not harder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top