Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
What's the point of living if all your waking hours are for working, eating so you can work and sleeping so you can work.
C'mon. Do it for your Ma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:43 PM

78,407 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Lots of people I've worked with in the past used to say "I haven't had a real vacation in x number of years." They would say this proudly. I would always think to myself "that's sad."

You're not going to get that time back and who the hell looks back on life when they're older and wished they worked more hours?

But if people want to work themselves to death, more power to them!
My buddy did tax\financial planning for very wealthy people and had a client near retirement.

Guy wasn't even 60 yet, had a net worth over 50million and during a conversation about what he wanted to do in retirement he had no idea.

I'm probably not explaining it as well as my friend conveyed to me but in short, the guy had spent the last almost 40 years working his butt off so hard that he'd lost any interests he'd may have once had in terms of passions, hobbies etc. Guy was facing retirement and was utterly at a loss. I've heard about guys like that dropping dead within a year of retiring.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Guy was facing retirement and was utterly at a loss. I've heard about guys like that dropping dead within a year of retiring.
Extreme case, but not rare; the single best argument against the standard "retirement" model. It's a bit like the yuk "You can live forever by giving up everything that makes life worth living" - "You can quit working by spending your life working to make it happen."

Old 04-24-2019, 03:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I'm not defending this guy's philosophy, but I think it's often underestimated how much time a CEO or executive puts into the company. They might not be spending 12 hours hammering out code or spreadsheets, but they spend a lot of time in meetings, giving presentations, schmoozing for business, and promoting the brand on behalf of the company and shareholders. Say what you want, but it's an exhausting lifestyle. Note that I consider it a lifestyle, not just a job. Sure, the pay can afford you many comforts and influence in life. But there's absolutely no way I'd want to do it.

That's true but they are at the top controllling the course of the company, and many of them started the company. It's their baby. That's a lot different than 996 in the trenches and salt mines working for others. That will just make you old and broken.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Lots of people I've worked with in the past used to say "I haven't had a real vacation in x number of years." They would say this proudly. I would always think to myself "that's sad."

You're not going to get that time back and who the hell looks back on life when they're older and wished they worked more hours?

But if people want to work themselves to death, more power to them!

Many are workaholics because it's the only thing that gives their life meaning.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Many are workaholics because it's the only thing that gives their life meaning.
Often because they were told that only maximum income and consumption made life worthwhile. And they bought it.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Somebody needs to give ol' Jack a wake up call. The rest of us would be just as happy working fewer hours and fewer days and only get a million bucks a year. Who needs a billion dollars? It would be nice, but do you need it at the cost of not having a life?

Old 04-26-2019, 02:53 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
The only time I could see a schedule like this is if it's temporary. Ex high overtime, or working 2 jobs to save for a goal. Like moving out of state, a down payment on a car etc. Many of us have done similar.

As for long term, this is not the way to go at all. Work smarter, strive to have a life. You get only one. Once its over, its over.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:31 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Jack Ma is a sociopath.

Unpaid overtime = corporate welfare.

Also, wasn't he arguing for a 3 day workweek? He has no idea what he is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment