U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM

2,109 posts, read 714,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Yes, I think we are work obsessed. Take for example France in which a woman gets unlimited days with her infant for maternity leave. I'd have given anything to be have been able to spend time with each of my beautiful babies. I believe they also have a 32 hour work week.

I'd give anything to have, not even unlimited, but adequate time off.

I had a job where the day was 8-4, and most didn't even follow that (I did- had too much work), and would work more like 10-4. Further, we got a ton of holidays where business was closed, and then 20 days off each year. I had way more than a normal share of work for my job title, so I would sometimes work from home to get it done. But it sure was nice when the market exploded and I was trying to buy a house to be able to rush out of the office and go see a house before someone put an offer, or to see my kids' sports or music competition, or family reunions. Do you think on our death beds we will be saying "thank God I worked 60 hours a week for 40 years", or do you think we will be saying "I sure wish I had gotten to see my son's first steps or state championship game rather than giving my life away to that company"
Almost no one works 60 hour weeks for 40 years. We work less now than ever before in the history of the US, and the average hours worked is less than 40 hours/week.

You can absolutely work a 32 hour week. You'll just get paid for 32 hours of work as well. No one is stopping you from doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 01:37 PM

4,287 posts, read 2,936,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It’s usually unlimited vacation that you can never take.
Agree. I think a set number of vacation days is a much better situation. My guess is people with "unlimited" vacation days usually end up taking fewer days than people with a limited number of days.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM

400 posts, read 230,299 times
I currently have unlimited vacation and it's great.. but I agree, depends on the company. I think the average employee takes about 4-5 weeks off at my company.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:14 PM

987 posts, read 301,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Almost no one works 60 hour weeks for 40 years. We work less now than ever before in the history of the US, and the average hours worked is less than 40 hours/week.

You can absolutely work a 32 hour week. You'll just get paid for 32 hours of work as well. No one is stopping you from doing that.
In my industry no way you could keep your job if you chose to work 32 hours, or even 40 hours. Yes, I hope to change industries soon, just have to get a passive source of income going first

Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM

987 posts, read 301,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Not true...ask your employer's tax folks. There are limits to working while on vacation if you're in another jurisdiction. For example, a colleague of mine absolutely CANNOT work (can't even check email) when he's visiting family in India. It comes down to where a company may have to pay taxes based on where its employees are located when working.
It's funny how people always point that out -- as if I just cannot do math, read a book, or watch TV or anything. I obviously know how it works. The people there are very happy. We do not have droves of people from Scandanavian countries, Canada, or most of western Europe coming here, and part of it is our work obsession (though a smaller part than other political matters, but to talk about it will get us shut down)

Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 PM

2,816 posts, read 880,294 times
"unlimited PTO" is a scam. An utter fraud.

This is how to test.

On your first day of work, immediately ask for a 40 year paid vacation.

Watch them say no, so clearly there are limits.

Another thing: If you quit your job, you're supposed to have your untaken vacation days paid out. If you have unlimited PTO, theoretically that should mean you're getting a nice check - but they don't do that.

Clearly a scam.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 PM

2,154 posts, read 853,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

This is how to test.

Another thing: If you quit your job, you're supposed to have your untaken vacation days paid out. If you have unlimited PTO, theoretically that should mean you're getting a nice check - but they don't do that.

Clearly a scam.
It is a scam. A marketing gimmick with a pretty "unlimited" name to help attract potential employees. It is a wonder that companies don't lose more credibility by having such a misleading and dishonest vacation policy.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:30 PM

21,899 posts, read 12,683,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

This is how to test.

Clearly a scam.
I hope this is intended to be sarcasm and not an actual belief that unlimited vacation is supposed to mean getting paid to never work at all.

I'm not saying I think it's a wonderful thing, I think it's mostly a benefit to the employer so they don't have to pay out accrued time or carry that as a liability on the books. But I also think that it can be a good thing in terms of increased employee flexibility as well, as long as there is reasonableness and respect on both sides.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 PM

2,154 posts, read 853,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I hope this is intended to be sarcasm and not an actual belief that unlimited vacation is supposed to mean getting paid to never work at all.

I'm not saying I think it's a wonderful thing, I think it's mostly a benefit to the employer so they don't have to pay out accrued time or carry that as a liability on the books. But I also think that it can be a good thing in terms of increased employee flexibility as well, as long as there is reasonableness and respect on both sides.
If something is labeled as "unlimited vacation", then the presumption is that it is truly unlimited. If it isn't, then that is deception. There were many names that could have been chosen for this policy, yet "unlimited" was chosen, even though it had no basis for it in reality. Thus it is a scam. Seriously.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:19 PM

2,109 posts, read 714,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It is a scam. A marketing gimmick with a pretty "unlimited" name to help attract potential employees. It is a wonder that companies don't lose more credibility by having such a misleading and dishonest vacation policy.
a "unlimited vacation" policy means they treat you like adults and don't need to track your vacation. They expect you to act like adults and not take an inordinate amount while getting your work done. If you're the kind of person who would try to take advantage of it, then you are proving you can't be trusted.

You don't need to tell someone not to take half a year off. Its similar to a company saying they have no dress code, but still getting upset if someone shows up naked. You assume people act like adults and don't need to be told not to show up to work naked. Unlimited vacation policies are great in healthy companies where employees and the employer trust each other. They can be poor when that trust doesn't exist.

Last edited by Lekrii; 04-18-2019 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or