U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM

36 posts, read 11,078 times

Advertisements

I accepted a role recently and I'm 1 day into the new job.

When negotiating salary I included my requested range plus signing bonus. They countered within my range but did not include the signing bonus.

I admit that I somewhat hastily took their first counter as I was exhausted by the multi-month interview process but I'm kind of curious still.

The sky isn't falling over this but I kind of would like to know why that was so casually ignored.

Should I inquire with my recruiter about why this was an impossibility or should I just drop it?

Is there some off chance of renegotiating that back into my compensation? (Huge reach, I know).

Thoughts?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Drop it. You missed the chance to address it.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 AM

1,550 posts, read 403,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design It View Post

When negotiating salary I included my requested range plus signing bonus. They countered within my range but did not include the signing bonus.

I admit that I somewhat hastily took their first counter as I was exhausted by the multi-month interview process but I'm kind of curious still.

The sky isn't falling over this but I kind of would like to know why that was so casually ignored.

Should I inquire with my recruiter about why this was an impossibility or should I just drop it?

Is there some off chance of renegotiating that back into my compensation? (Huge reach, I know).

Thoughts?
It was your job to be more active about the signing bonus than merely requesting it. They didn't bring it up, because they don't feel the need. It was their job to make you forget about it. If during the negotiation you brought it up again, then it would be addressed. Live and learn.

They use the number of times they have contact with you as a strategy to wear you out, so towards the end of this you will accept less than you should because you have your time and most importantly feel emotionally invested in the prospective opportunity. HR knows exactly what they are doing. They drag the process out for a reason and it is for their benefit.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:22 AM

4,349 posts, read 7,994,008 times
Flip it around. Lets pretend you countered with another number and added the signing bonus back in and it was accepted.
Now - they come back to you and say, "yea, we didn't see that it was added back in. Can we not pay it?".

How would you respond?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:26 PM

Even if a signing bonus cannot be retroactively applied regardless of the merit behind the request), perhaps the rationale behind their decision to not include a signing bonus could provide valuable insight behind how the company views compensation.

This could be useful in negotiating raises or future promotions.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:52 PM

1,550 posts, read 403,540 times
Quote:
Even if a signing bonus cannot be retroactively applied regardless of the merit behind the request), perhaps the rationale behind their decision to not include a signing bonus could provide valuable insight behind how the company views compensation.

This could be useful in negotiating raises or future promotions.
You want insight? I'll give you the answer right here. "You asked for something which we don't normally provide and didn't feel it would be a deal breaker for you. So we waited to see if you would bring it up again. Since you didn't, I was able to save X amount of money for the company, and still was able to hire you."

If you're expecting some thoughtful explanation of their process, they don't have one. They distracted you and you didn't bring it up again, so they won, and you lost. Learn from it. They can't give you the answers you want, like I provided for you as the highly likely answer above. If you do ask, they will likely give you a good dose of corporate double-talk about budgets, team-work, synergies and aligning this position with the current market, and how they are experiencing tremendous growth that they have bigger and better plans for you making you feel it will more than make up for that missing signing bonus. So if you want to be "handled" by someone in HR, then go ahead and ask, but I doubt the answer will be useful to you for the future.

Why did you think you should be getting a signing bonus? Were you missing out on restricted stock units or being able to exercise stock options from your previous employer? Or were you missing out on a company performance bonus?

Old 04-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Increased my commute time by about 35-40%. Will need to change from single car to two car household.

Will also be missing out on bonus at previous employer had I stayed about 30 days longer.

Not the end of the world as pay increase was very large and will iron out in about 2 pay periods.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM

4,568 posts, read 6,651,857 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Increased my commute time by about 35-40%. Will need to change from single car to two car household.

Will also be missing out on bonus at previous employer had I stayed about 30 days longer.

Not the end of the world as pay increase was very large and will iron out in about 2 pay periods.
Why would you not negotiate staying 30 days longer then and get a bonus? you could have easily said then " i am expecting a bonus of xxx.xx amount come june 1. Can We delay my start date so i can get this earned bonus or will you match it?"

Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 601,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why would you not negotiate staying 30 days longer then and get a bonus? you could have easily said then " i am expecting a bonus of xxx.xx amount come june 1. Can We delay my start date so i can get this earned bonus or will you match it?"
Yeah for my company I believe you have to be here when the bonus check is issued. So if I don't make a move by say June, I'm basically forfeiting more than 50% of my bonus from this calendar year. So more likely than not I will be asking for a sign-on bonus for my next move which additionally would show commitment on part of the new employer. I have no problem signing something saying "I won't voluntarily leave for at least a year" if they grant it. The sign-on bonus is to more financially buffer my risk in case THEY decide one sidedly it's not a good fit.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,797,310 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
They did address it. Their counter was 0 for the signing bonus.

You accepted their counter.

You will not come out ahead if you try to negotiate for it now, same as you would if you went back to them and said "I know I accepted a salary of X but I really wanted X+5% so you won't mind just adding that in now, right?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment