Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
There's a setting in LinkedIn to hide your email address.

You should also have a spam email address to use for sites like this. Only change it to your active email address when you are looking for a job. Once you land a job change the email back to the spam address.

Also, never give them your real phone number. They will try to trick you by saying its for "account recovery" or "additional security". What they are really looking for is a primary key to connect you to all kinds of external marketing databases to build a more complete profile to offer to advertisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 04:07 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I am not in the hunt for a position.

Truthfully, I don't need any more clients than what I have now. I'm at a position in my career where clients come to me.

Yet I am bombarded with every spammer on the planet trying to sell me SEO, web site construction, you name it. And I suspect that LinkedIn is where they're getting my e-mail address.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth deleting my profile entirely. Unfortunately, I have a couple of opportunities coming up where my bona fides might get looked over. So I feel kind of stuck at the moment.

Anyone else?
You are the one who put the info out there.

No one twisted your arm, so blame yourself-not the platform

Old 04-17-2019, 04:11 PM

780 posts, read 425,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I don't hate LinkedIn. I have actually gotten a job from connections made on LinkedIn. It is a tool and used correctly can be a great aid to making professional connections.
I feel the same. There is a term for people who power use it, I think they're called LIONs (LinkedIn Open Network). They can be a little obnoxious by trying to connect with anyone and anybody, even if they've had no past relationship with you. They even creepily comment on your posts and congratulate you on anniversaries. I don't know, maybe they turn into something down the road. But I've yet to gain anything from it.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
You should also have a spam email address to use for sites like this. Only change it to your active email address when you are looking for a job. Once you land a job change the email back to the spam address.
No real need for that. Everyone should have a disposable alias account, easy to filter and readily discarded when it gets polluted. Just point it to your main account.

Quote:
Also, never give them your real phone number. They will try to trick you by saying its for "account recovery" or "additional security". What they are really looking for is a primary key to connect you to all kinds of external marketing databases to build a more complete profile to offer to advertisers.
Excellent insight and advice.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
LinkedIN was instrumental in me getting my first few roles out of college around 2010-2011

Now it's almost worthless. The Microsoft acquisition hasn't helped things.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
I am not in the hunt for a position.

Truthfully, I don't need any more clients than what I have now. I'm at a position in my career where clients come to me.

Yet I am bombarded with every spammer on the planet trying to sell me SEO, web site construction, you name it. And I suspect that LinkedIn is where they're getting my e-mail address.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth deleting my profile entirely. Unfortunately, I have a couple of opportunities coming up where my bona fides might get looked over. So I feel kind of stuck at the moment.

Anyone else?
I set my profile to hide my address and phone number, unless they are in my network. I only add people to my network, if we worked at the same company or they worked with a friend.

I don't get any of that.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
When I was still in business I used to get people all the time wanting to connect with me. Since I had no need to connect with someone I did not know and knew I would never do business with, I rejected their requests.
I deleted my account when I retired and just recently got back on and what do you know, here come the requests again. Not gonna happen.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:32 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
For each spammer who sends me spam and I know it is from Linkedin this is how I handle it.

* search for them on LI and see if we're connected. If yes, report their profile for spamming and unlink.

* forward their spam to his email provider, and internet provider, report them for spamming.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Don't know. But mine is hidden.
Then the spam you are getting doesn't have anything to do with Linkedin. So deleting your Linkedin profile would solve your problem.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM

515 posts, read 360,151 times
When I retire one of the things on my list is deleting my Linkedin account. Other than it being a business facebook, I found it useless. Sometimes you can get an idea of what people are doing in their career but I can't see much value in it. I thought I might put "retired" on it for a few months and then delete the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment