U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 03:53 PM

6,219 posts, read 2,879,696 times

Advertisements

I work hospitality.
Our facility carries precise guidelines for 99% of guest concerns.
Recently a guest declined to have an alleged incident report written up. He insisted he was getting his injury looked at by a urgent care facility. There was no witness to this incident or verification it occurred on property. He said he was playing basketball and slipped . He was very stern on not making this an issue. I respected his decision. My boss though said I had to write it up. I said I could not as A: I did not witness it. B: I have no data to confirm it happened on property. Therefore I refuse to write it up without the full cooperation of the guest.
My boss is obviously looking at it from a legal stance. In which I said...our policy is to write up what is true and verifiable. The only true thing I know is the guest had a swollen knee.
My boss is now weighing in on whether I was negligent in not filing a report. Which is automatic termination. My stance is...the guest declined vehemently to file the incident.
I'm stuck between two policy matters...one is documentation ..the other is always regarding the guests decision. It happened not on my shift as we keep the courts locked during then.
How to proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,405,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I work hospitality.
Our facility carries precise guidelines for 99% of guest concerns.
Recently a guest declined to have an alleged incident report written up. He insisted he was getting his injury looked at by a urgent care facility. There was no witness to this incident or verification it occurred on property. He said he was playing basketball and slipped . He was very stern on not making this an issue. I respected his decision. My boss though said I had to write it up. I said I could not as A: I did not witness it. B: I have no data to confirm it happened on property. Therefore I refuse to write it up without the full cooperation of the guest.
My boss is obviously looking at it from a legal stance. In which I said...our policy is to write up what is true and verifiable. The only true thing I know is the guest had a swollen knee.
My boss is now weighing in on whether I was negligent in not filing a report. Which is automatic termination. My stance is...the guest declined vehemently to file the incident.
I'm stuck between two policy matters...one is documentation ..the other is always regarding the guests decision. It happened not on my shift as we keep the courts locked during then.
How to proceed?
CYA. I would write it up how it was told to you, and the exchange you had with guest. While the slip and injury is not verifiable, the actual exchange you had with the guest is true and verifiable.

On 4/17/19 at 3:15pm, Mr. X came to/called the front desk and claimed to have slipped while playing basketball resulting in injuring his knee. There were no witnesses to the accident. His knee was visibly swollen. However, Mr. X insistently declined to file an incident report, and stated he would have the knee examined at an urgent care facility.

Signed, Nov3

Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM

2,078 posts, read 604,678 times
Did you get the guest signature to verify his statement?

How did you find out he was injured to begin with if he didn't want to file a report against the hotel?

Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)

9,636 posts, read 3,682,460 times
You can file a report although the employer can't force you to lie about what you know. For example, the employer can't force you to say you witnessed the incident, if you did not.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,863,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Did you get the guest signature to verify his statement?

How did you find out he was injured to begin with if he didn't want to file a report against the hotel?
Exactly! Why is it even a known issue if there were "no witnesses" to the incident? Somebody said something!

I wonder how many employees are scratching their head when they got canned because some lawsuit alleges an incident the employee never reported because the "customer" said to "forget about it"!

Old 04-18-2019, 12:36 AM

8,980 posts, read 8,120,601 times
Company policy said wright it up, which you failed to do. You may be fired.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
CYA. I would write it up how it was told to you, and the exchange you had with guest. While the slip and injury is not verifiable, the actual exchange you had with the guest is true and verifiable.

On 4/17/19 at 3:15pm, Mr. X came to/called the front desk and claimed to have slipped while playing basketball resulting in injuring his knee. There were no witnesses to the accident. His knee was visibly swollen. However, Mr. X insistently declined to file an incident report, and stated he would have the knee examined at an urgent care facility.

Signed, Nov3
Thank you for this clarity!!

. As a person who in job or in life I maintain the level of integrity and honesty in transaction.
In discussion with a supportive member of management he said to think of it as an officer coming upon the scene. While he didn't witness it, he is there to take the information and file it. thats it!
To the kind posters who had questions: It was 5 AM when I was called ( telephoned) by the guest requesting a wheelchair. From there it went to him stating he had an injured knee. Part of our training in ADA is to respect the guests immobility and NOT ask questions. I had NOT met the man at that time ( Point of initial conversation) . It wasn't til he SPOKE and said in a general way that he hurt it playing basketball The evening prior. . Which in law equates to Play at your own risk....Our company was not at fault when the adult chose to participate and fell off balance. It had nothing to do with faulty floor or equipment. His leg did that on its own.

to the other poster, We have lots of policies that conflict . I was seeking clarity since this conflicted with the ADA policy of drilling a guest who has a mobility issue.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 AM

9,791 posts, read 17,006,304 times
It is your obligation to report -- it is not your obligation to be a fact finder.

"On April 18th at 5:30 AM guest Johnny Rocket approached me at the customer service desk and said that he fell down while playing basketball on Basketball Court #2. He said he injured his right knee. His right knee appeared to be red and slightly swollen. Mr. Rocket said there were not any witnesses to the accident. He declined to write a statement. He declined having the local ambulance to come and access his injury, stating that he would see his family doctor when he got home. I asked Mr. Rocket if there was anything I could do for him, and he stated that he just wanted to report that he slipped and injured himself."

That is your responsibility. You are formally relaying what was told to you. It is not your job to interpret law or determine fault. Your manager and corporate do not want to find out about an on-site injury from someone's attorney -- they want to know about it in the moment.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is your obligation to report -- it is not your obligation to be a fact finder.

"On April 18th at 5:30 AM guest Johnny Rocket approached me at the customer service desk and said that he fell down while playing basketball on Basketball Court #2. He said he injured his right knee. His right knee appeared to be red and slightly swollen. Mr. Rocket said there were not any witnesses to the accident. He declined to write a statement. He declined having the local ambulance to come and access his injury, stating that he would see his family doctor when he got home. I asked Mr. Rocket if there was anything I could do for him, and he stated that he just wanted to report that he slipped and injured himself."

That is your responsibility. You are formally relaying what was told to you. It is not your job to interpret law or determine fault. Your manager and corporate do not want to find out about an on-site injury from someone's attorney -- they want to know about it in the moment.
Great ideas! Thanks !
Our company isn't getting sued for this incident.
And yes it is my job to interpret law. Underage drinking on property...they are ousted. Harassing or hostile behavior. Ousted. So do tell..how is that for being " just the messenger". Hoke fan said it more formal. I think your response was a bit abrasive.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,120,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Great ideas! Thanks !
Our company isn't getting sued for this incident.
And yes it is my job to interpret law. Underage drinking on property...they are ousted. Harassing or hostile behavior. Ousted. So do tell..how is that for being " just the messenger". Hoke fan said it more formal. I think your response was a bit abrasive.
YOU ARE NOT INTERPRETING THE LAW. THAT IS DONE BY AN ATTORNEY. You are following company policy, which comes about, based on the law.

Your problem is you are not following policy, but making decisions which parts you follow and which you do not. That is a firing offence with any company, plus can prevent getting unemployment money.

The remark "I think your response was a bit abrasive" shows you still don't understand how serious a potential problem you have created for your employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or