U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 PM

17,656 posts, read 4,058,482 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I applied for a job.It had a strange question on the application that caught me off guard.The job application asked me what all my health conditions were.The job was working at a ballpark.I know I posted a thread about it a while back asking if I should apply.Well, I did apply.So was this a illegal question?I just do not know why they would need to know all my health conditions for working at a ballpark.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM

8,931 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Most questions on applications are not illegal per se. Acting in a discriminatory manner based upon the answer can be illegal. It is complicated.

With that being said, the question is incredibly stupid, and never should have been asked. The person who drafted that question is an idiot.

The sad part is that it is up to you to prove that an illegal act occurred based on your answers. What do you plan on doing about this? Are you going to sue based upon your answer? That will be a challenging lawsuit.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Most questions on applications are not illegal per se. Acting in a discriminatory manner based upon the answer can be illegal. It is complicated.

With that being said, the question is incredibly stupid, and never should have been asked. The person who drafted that question is an idiot.

The sad part is that it is up to you to prove that an illegal act occurred based on your answers. What do you plan on doing about this? Are you going to sue based upon your answer? That will be a challenging lawsuit.
They asked me to list all my health conditions on the application.I do not plan on doing a thing....I do not think it is worth the trouble.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:19 PM

736 posts, read 189,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
They asked me to list all my health conditions on the application.I do not plan on doing a thing....I do not think it is worth the trouble.
That gets into a HIPPA issue, are you sure the question wasn't if you had any health issues that would require a reasonable accommodation?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,829,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
That gets into a HIPPA issue, are you sure the question wasn't if you had any health issues that would require a reasonable accommodation?
It’s not a HIPPA violation for someone to release their “own” medical information. Nor do I believe that asking someone to voluntarily supply their own info is a violation. If they went to his doctor and his info was released...it would be a HIPPA violation.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
No....it just asked me to list all my health conditions on the application.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 PM

736 posts, read 189,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
It’s not a HIPPA violation for someone to release their “own” medical information. Nor do I believe that asking someone to voluntarily supply their own info is a violation. If they went to his doctor and his info was released...it would be a HIPPA violation.
Did I use the word "violation"? No. I said "issue". The storage of the medical information becomes the HIPPA issue for the employer. The potential improper dissemination of this would create a violation... thus, it's an ISSUE.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 11,806,344 times
Is the position connected to food services in anyway?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Is the position connected to food services in anyway?
No.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,829,163 times
Quote:
Did I use the word "violation"? No. I said "issue". The storage of the medical information becomes the HIPPA issue for the employer. The potential improper dissemination of this would create a violation... thus, it's an ISSUE.
Ok... where would the issue be? they're not asking for medical records so there would be no storage of medical records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or