U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:13 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,116,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The main reason for contract work is freedom and ability to add value to yourself without depending on your employer. I often take training or leisurely read or watch videos then go talk to other pros to get some ideas to add some new skills. Whenever I'm in between projects, which can sometimes be from 2-10 weeks. If you get unemployment then you got a nice vacation until the next gig. I've had 3 months off one year during the summer and it was great. I went to several interviews and chose the best project and continued working for 18 months straight then I got another 5 months break afterwards. Still made more money than a lot of FT workers. Just make sure you pay into your own 401k.

Full-time employees typically are either too busy with their work or too pre-occuppied with their personal life they don't get to enhance their skills.

There are many FT job that pays $80-120k a year but the hours can be 35-60 hrs a week depending on what the projects are. If you're consulting you're most likely putting in only 35-45 hours and making about 20% more per hour than the FT workers. But you get paid every hour that you've worked.

The only major negative is health insurance costs a lot if you have a family. That's why I never give any discounts to clients.
^^ This has been my experience as well. I actually prefer contract work because at the end of a two year gig, I'm ready for another vacation. Can you share any reliable resources where I can look for contract work other than Indeed and Dice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM

5,341 posts, read 5,312,983 times
Contract work = consultant via an org. who takes a cut but offers security (i.e work). It is also a good way to test the waters of going completely on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or