U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:10 PM

8,589 posts, read 3,019,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well maybe I should just get out of factory work for good then, cause after a couple of accident's one nearly killing me, and scaring my neck and face for life now, I am too afraid to work in these jobs anymore now, especially after the recent incident with my hand.
We had a young family friend who lost a finger in a pharmaceutical blender. He got a modest settlement for it. I suppose it would have been a bigger problem had he not, about two years later, become AIDS patient number 300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 PM

4,835 posts, read 1,536,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How were you compensated for your permanent disfigurement?
Nothing, just got a few paid days off to heal up. I suppose maybe I could have gotten a lawyer to fight for it, but I just wasn't in that frame of mind and just wanted to get out of there, and not look back.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:45 PM

4,363 posts, read 3,236,554 times
Quote:
Nothing, just got a few paid days off to heal up. I suppose maybe I could have gotten a lawyer to fight for it, but I just wasn't in that frame of mind and just wanted to get out of there, and not look back.
^^^^ That's ridiculous. The least you should have gotten was a few weeks off, and a payout from Worker's Compensation.

You may still be able to sue, depending on the statute of limitations. I certainly would look into it.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 PM

4,835 posts, read 1,536,403 times
Oh well sue for what? I mean they might look at the scar and think it's just the scar and not worth getting much out of, unless I'm being pessimistic.

Plus I still have references from that place that say good things about me which helped me get a couple of jobs since, so maybe it's better to take advantage of them that way more?

Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 PM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Depends on the factory and their safety protocols.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 AM

4,363 posts, read 3,236,554 times
Quote:
Oh well sue for what?
- OSHA violations
- Negligence
- Compensation for a permanent disfigurement
- To legally ensure that they implement better safety measures for employees in the future

Your employer has a duty to protect you. If they don't protect you, you have the right and duty to report them and make certain that they are penalized for their negligence.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM

33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
A note for the advice on Workmen's Comp, litigation, etc., I may be mistaken but I believe that ironpony is Canadian so US rules won't apply.

To the original question, yes, factory work can be dangerous. Some is less than others. I worked in the plastic molding and glass container divisions for the same US based international company. Overall the plastic plant was less "dangerous" than the glass. Temperatures were lower, there were less sharp pieces, there were fewer production machines and they were running at slower speeds.

People could get hurt but, usually, not as severely as working with glass (burns, cuts, amputations, etc.).

Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,259,672 times
1-A guy put his eye out when pulling a pair of pliers toward his face, he was trying to pull a spring into place and hook it when the pliers slipped.

2- Worker cut off a finger when operating a large metal cutting shear. Six months later cut off another finger, got a safer and better job.

3-Just days before retiring, a crane operator drove a bridge crane off the rails and landed on the floor. sixty feet below. DOA at the local hospital..

4- A worker in Seattle fell into a large vat of acid when preparing parts for strip cleaning, died a few weeks later..

Yes, factory work is very dangerous, even in those companies that have good safety education in place. Most of the accidents could have been avoided, but stats show that those with years of experience and those with very little seem to be the prime candidates for being injured on the job. The fact of overconfidence on the part of more experienced workers, and the lack of experience in the case of newbies seems to be a huge problem. Respecting the ever present potential for severe injury seems to be the order of the day.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,259,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
- OSHA violations
- Negligence
- Compensation for a permanent disfigurement
- To legally ensure that they implement better safety measures for employees in the future

Your employer has a duty to protect you. If they don't protect you, you have the right and duty to report them and make certain that they are penalized for their negligence.
Unfortunately, you forgot to mention that the legal term which has to be proved is "willful negligence," a much more difficult thing to prove than the fact of simple negligence due to claimed ignorance of the potential harm.

Workmen's comp was a trade off garnered by America's large corporations, workers can't sue their employers but they can address their injuries through the state's dept of Labor and Industries. Compensation is part of the settlement of workers claims, but the system is structured as a protection for the company not the worker..

https://www.upcounsel.com/willful-negligence

Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,211,192 times
It can depend on the job and the employee.

I worked in retail and you'd be surprised how often they get hurt lifting and it's like 20-40 lbs. Basic lifting is taught, but damned if the employees follow the method.

Then you have the supervisor who tells their 130 lb worker to lift that 300 lb cart up the stairs. Then complains when it comes down on the worker.

Heck I've gotten blisters at the job I am at and got them while working the deli. Thing is, if you can stand office work and the pitfalls that are inherent with it, then by all means, go for it. Thanks but I'll stay with my low brow job where I usually don't have to be careful with what I say 90% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment