U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 PM
 
4,882 posts, read 1,553,062 times
Reputation: 1437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Yes, I know.

I'm saying that the OP should initiate a WC filing, find out if it's too late, or if there are any other steps he can take.
Oh, well I don't know if I would get anything for it now, as they might say I received paid days on my days off to heal, and I am fine now with no disabilities or handicaps because of it, so would I really get anything really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There are lots of dangers in manufacturing - anywhere there are moving conveyor belts, chemicals being used, hot temperatures, sharp metal parts - there's a bigger chance for injuries unless the company is scrupulous in following regulations. And when inspections are few, self-policing is relied upon, and penalties are low - we all know the cost-cutting that occurs. Self-regulation doesn't work - just like the fox guarding the henhouse doesn't work.
That's another thing about the factory job I had before as well as my current one is chemicals. There are chemical fume smells that I am scared of, and I feel those paper masks they give us, are not enough to block them out, but maybe that is just my fearful thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2019, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Erie, PA
2,871 posts, read 1,266,014 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh, well I don't know if I would get anything for it now, as they might say I received paid days on my days off to heal, and I am fine now with no disabilities or handicaps because of it, so would I really get anything really?



That's another thing about the factory job I had before as well as my current one is chemicals. There are chemical fume smells that I am scared of, and I feel those paper masks they give us, are not enough to block them out, but maybe that is just my fearful thinking?
Any chemicals used in manufacturing facilities are required to have a SDS (safety data sheet) for all chemicals used. This includes everything from the relatively mundane things such as the window cleaners they might use up to the chemicals they are using as part of their manufacturing process. They are also required to do Right-to-Know training where employees are given training on the location of the SDS sheets, what the symbols on them stand for, and what information is contained on an SDS. The format of SDS sheets has been standardizes so no matter who the chemical manufacturer is, the sections are in the same order and they are relatively easy to read.

The SDS and right to know (HAZCOM) requirement for manufacturing facilities is also a part of the OSHA standard. Here is a description of the standard plus a description of what is on the sections of a SDS sheet :

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3514.html

Also, simply because there is an odor does not mean it is toxic. Some of the most toxic chemicals have little to no smell. Still since you are concerned you should ask about the chemical(s) and ask to see the SDS of the chemical(s) being used in this factory's processes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2019, 07:28 PM
 
4,882 posts, read 1,553,062 times
Reputation: 1437
Oh well the container of the chemical says do not inhale fumes, but I feel that those masks they give us are not doing the best jobs, cause I can still smell it, unless I am wrong, and it's perfectly normal to still smell a toxic fume through a mask that is suppose to block it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:02 PM
 
91 posts, read 232,701 times
Reputation: 106
Back in the 70's, I used to work in factory that made paper bags for grocery stores. Lots of high-speed, moving machinery, lots of rollers, gears, lots of steel and cast iron with lots of momentum. Injuries were not uncommon. I myself got my fingers
mashed a bit one time(bot not TOO badly, although I required a trip to the ER). There were people there that lost 1 or more fingers at a clip, and after I got promoted to machine parts purchasing agent, one of my unwritten job duties was to play ambulance driver for injured workers. This factory left off a lot of "guards" (physical diamond-plate type screens) off of gear-trains in the interests of "efficiency" - putting them back in place only when (pre-scheduled OSHA inspections were expected).

Working in US factories might be quite a bit safer today, but working in a Chinese factory(with lots of rollers, gears, ect) is not very safe at the present time - here's a link to a disturbing video of an industrial accident in a Chinese factory:

(WARNING! Graphic, gruesome and brutal video of Chinese worker getting caught up in a roller - this video may be distressing for some viewers, so use your judgment as to whether to view it):

Worker Spun for Over Three Minutes After His Hand Gets Caught in Roller

CCTV video from what looks like a factory in China shows a worker getting spun after his hand gets apparently caught in the spinning roller.

Seems like he was the only worker on shift, as nobody came to his aid, so he kept spinning for over three minutes until his beat up body slipped off. You can see that after less than a minute of spinning, there was a notable blood stain on the floor from his getting repeatedly slammed over and over.

https://www.bestgore.com/workplace-a...t-roller-cctv/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Kansas City North
4,056 posts, read 7,338,995 times
Reputation: 5938
I think more than half of industrial accidents in the US are caused by either the company “modifying” the equipment (like removing guards,etc.) or worker carelessness or not following written protocols. Nothing is foolproof, but when a company does not put an emphasis on safety, and does not deal immediately with unsafe conditions or employee practices, the chances are much greater for injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 PM
 
4,882 posts, read 1,553,062 times
Reputation: 1437
Yeah that machine that almost killed me there was definitely modified a lot. I suggested ideas that I thought would help make it safer, but my ideas were rejected on account that it would cost too much money, cause it would have involved more electromechanics and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,636 posts, read 3,687,967 times
Reputation: 19770
FWIW, I think working in convenience stores (7-11, gas stations, etc) is more dangerous than factory work. There's a high chance of becoming a robbery victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 06:07 AM
 
20,625 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Reputation: 38771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Any chemicals used in manufacturing facilities are required to have a SDS (safety data sheet) for all chemicals used. This includes everything from the relatively mundane things such as the window cleaners they might use up to the chemicals they are using as part of their manufacturing process. They are also required to do Right-to-Know training where employees are given training on the location of the SDS sheets, what the symbols on them stand for, and what information is contained on an SDS. The format of SDS sheets has been standardizes so no matter who the chemical manufacturer is, the sections are in the same order and they are relatively easy to read.

The SDS and right to know (HAZCOM) requirement for manufacturing facilities is also a part of the OSHA standard. Here is a description of the standard plus a description of what is on the sections of a SDS sheet :

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3514.html

Also, simply because there is an odor does not mean it is toxic. Some of the most toxic chemicals have little to no smell. Still since you are concerned you should ask about the chemical(s) and ask to see the SDS of the chemical(s) being used in this factory's processes.
Just FYI, OP is in Canada not the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 06:08 AM
 
20,625 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Reputation: 38771
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
FWIW, I think working in convenience stores (7-11, gas stations, etc) is more dangerous than factory work. There's a high chance of becoming a robbery victim.
I always wonder if being a hairdresser is dangerous LOL. It can’t be good to breathe hairspray and perm solution all day.

I believe I read once that statistically, driving a taxi is the most dangerous profession. At least in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 PM
 
4,882 posts, read 1,553,062 times
Reputation: 1437
Well I've suggested things to the factory to make things safer, but they are never open to knew ideas, or don't seem to like the idea of any change.

I feel that this will be my last factory job, and I want to avoid working in any from now on, as all three seem to be the same now, and not very hopeful of any being any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top