U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 06:21 PM

4,841 posts, read 1,540,193 times

Advertisements

In my old factory job, I was working on a machine which shot out metal rods when it was not suppose to, and it stabbed in the neck, sending me to the hospital. I was told that if it was an inch lower, I would have been killed. And I have a scar on my neck and face as a result. So I ended up getting out that job. I posted about it here before about two years ago.

I took another factory job, and on the second day, I hurt my hand. Basically we have to drill through windows, and we put a blanket, around the window so it doesn't scratch, but the drill took the whole blanket with it, spun it around, causing it wrap around my hand and arm, and through me over, spraining my wrist and fingers in the process.

And I am thinking maybe I should just avoid factory jobs, and aim for something else, if it's just going to be this dangerous. I have had minor scraps and cuts and minors soars, but then being stabbed in the neck, in one job, and a sprained wrist and fingers, in the next, may be a sign.

Also I don't like how in both jobs, there is chemicals floating around airborne, and all they give you is a paper mask, yet I still get the urge to cough, which makes me think the masks are not a 100 percent, unless I'm wrong?

Unless it's generally safe, and I have had just some bad luck? Or is it actually dangerous?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 932,574 times
The two examples you give are of workplaces that place little value on employee safety. I spent over 40 years working in manufacturing and Iíve seen my share of dangerous companies and situations.

The first situation you described should have resulted in a call to OSHA. There is no excuse for operating equipment like that, and I would be concerned about the next employee that works on that machine.

The 2nd situation was a catastrophe waiting to happen. Just goes to show you that the days of employers abusing their employees by ignoring basic safety rules are far from over.

Just so you know, you can check out a potential employers safety record on the OSHA website.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM

Oh thanks, actually one of the other workers called OSHA in the job with where I got the neck injury, like right after. The machine was modified but still sprung metal rods out once in a while, even so, afterwards.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:09 PM

8,957 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Statistically, factory work isn’t all that dangerous. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf, scroll down to page 8 and you see that manufacturing has a mortality rate of 1.9 per 100,000, which is lower than retail, and much lower than construction, landscaping, transportation and resource extraction.

It does sound as if you have an aptitude for choosing terrible employers.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,468,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Statistically, factory work isnít all that dangerous. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf, scroll down to page 8 and you see that manufacturing has a mortality rate of 1.9 per 100,000, which is lower than retail, and much lower than construction, landscaping, transportation and resource extraction.

It does sound as if you have an aptitude for choosing terrible employers.
If you dig down further, metal manufacturing, what OP seems to be talking about, is 4.3/100k. Not the most dangerous industry, but far from the safest.

But Is factory work normally dangerous? Define normal. It was very dangerous - that's why unions and OSHA exist in the first place. These things and others have made it safer.
It's much safer than grounds maintenance, firefighting/EMS/police work, or driving for a living.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 PM

8,624 posts, read 3,037,542 times
It depends someone on what state you're in. There are many stories of factories and manufacturing plants, mostly in the south, with safety records that sounds like something from the middle ages. One iron casting plant routinely had horrific injuries that led to no penalties or fixes because they were so politically powerful. The story I recall is a worker who was made to routinely go beneath high-speed conveyor belts to clear jams while they were running. He was finally found jammed in a position where the belt basically ground him away for hours.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:07 AM

Well I noticed how in meetings in factory jobs I had before, is that about every couple of weeks, another injury would have happened in one of their company plants around the world, where a worker had to go to the hospital, or had to go home and wait to heal for some time. There was also two fatalities in my years, in other countries, in the plants that were run.

However, when I worked in a grocery store, there were no fatalities, and not near as many injuries were mentioned in meetings. So it seems that retail work was definitely more safe.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:47 AM

1,093 posts, read 628,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
He was finally found jammed in a position where the belt basically ground him away for hours.
Guess you could say that's a wrap!

Old 04-21-2019, 08:06 PM

Well maybe I should just get out of factory work for good then, cause after a couple of accident's one nearly killing me, and scaring my neck and face for life now, I am too afraid to work in these jobs anymore now, especially after the recent incident with my hand.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,542,431 times
How were you compensated for your permanent disfigurement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment