U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,158,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Have you even read any of the articles?

It's not B.S. at all.

It's actually very good advice. Regardless of what a PIP is, doesn't mean you can't play the game with professionalism while you start the job hunt in earnest.

If you get a PIP, sure, it never looks good, but if you don't want to quit and possibly lose unemployment, doesn't mean you have to act unprofessionally the rest of your time there.
There are a few posters here who believe the employee can do no wrong, the employer can do no right, and that employment is a sadistic game played for the amusement of cackling, monocle-wearing greedy rich guys who get off on screwing with people. That's it... there is no such thing to them as a business run on tight margins for profit, only greed and incompetence and unearned privilege.

There's absolutely no chance that a PIP is a way to get an employee to improve their performance to avoid firing them. None. The goal of employers is to fire employees, as quickly and in as great quantities as possible. The best, hardest-working, most loyal ones go first; and the toadies and bootlickers and least-competent ones are retained to cause as much discontent as possible for as long as possible to increase the stress on the few remaining decent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:47 AM

1,550 posts, read 403,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Really? It's completely impossible that s/he isn't that good at their job and has performance/attitude issues? No chance at all?

And sailing through life with the serene confidence that you're right and everyone else is wrong leads to narcissism and an inability to accept constructive criticism for improvement.
No, because good management doesn't use PIP as I described.

No one is sailing through life. They are living it, because they can't allow bad management to damage them for life because of it.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 AM

1,550 posts, read 403,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
There are a few posters here who believe the employee can do no wrong, the employer can do no right, and that employment is a sadistic game played for the amusement of cackling, monocle-wearing greedy rich guys who get off on screwing with people. That's it... there is no such thing to them as a business run on tight margins for profit, only greed and incompetence and unearned privilege.

There's absolutely no chance that a PIP is a way to get an employee to improve their performance to avoid firing them. None. The goal of employers is to fire employees, as quickly and in as great quantities as possible. The best, hardest-working, most loyal ones go first; and the toadies and bootlickers and least-competent ones are retained to cause as much discontent as possible for as long as possible to increase the stress on the few remaining decent people.
You really should spend more time reading what has been written in a thread because you entirely missed what this is about. But I have to admit, I find your word-salad humorous.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,199,676 times
I agree. Start looking NOW.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,986,698 times
Do you think you can survive the PIP? I have seen people who took the PIP as a wake up call, got their act together, and survived. I have also seen people get a PIP, continue on as if nothing was going to happen, only to get shown the door.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:47 AM

23 posts, read 10,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you think you can survive the PIP? I have seen people who took the PIP as a wake up call, got their act together, and survived. I have also seen people get a PIP, continue on as if nothing was going to happen, only to get shown the door.
I have a close friend who was in the same situation. She survived the PIP, but said the relationship with her employer didn’t feel the same so she left the company. She said they would’ve brought up something else after.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,540 posts, read 3,660,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Those articles are bogus written by HR types. A PIP is to signal to the employee to find another job before they are fired. Being fired costs the company money and exposes them to lawsuits. But if they get you to quit on your own, then they don't have to pay a severance package, unemployment or costs of a lawsuit.
Yes. This is exactly what a PIP is. We've had people on the forum, in the past, who tried to argue otherwise. But they are woefully ignorant of what PIPs are and what purpose they serve. About 95-99% of the time, the end result is getting fired.

A PIP is a legal tool used for the precise purpose of firing someone the cheapest way possible.

It's not a performance improvement plan. Not at all.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM

2,070 posts, read 600,385 times
Game over. You got about 30 days and 60 days if you are lucky depending on how long it takes the new guy to get up to speed. If you can't find a new job don't quit, make sure to document so you can get terminated and get UE. What state are you in? Best had start brushing up on the UE forum now so you know what you need to do to prepare to contest if necessary.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:49 PM

23 posts, read 10,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Game over. You got about 30 days and 60 days if you are lucky depending on how long it takes the new guy to get up to speed. If you can't find a new job don't quit, make sure to document so you can get terminated and get UE. What state are you in? Best had start brushing up on the UE forum now so you know what you need to do to prepare to contest if necessary.
I currently live in NC..Iíve read some things regarding unemployment here, and I know NC has one of the worst unemployment benefits compared to other states.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,469,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach21 View Post
Long story, short: I’ve worked at my current job for about 1.5 years. Recently, we hired a temp to take over my old duties since I was promised a promotion and I took over some of my supervisor’s duties. I caught on that my supervisor and the temp knew each other outside of work...They will talk about personal things for hours. My supervisor started changing her attitude towards me. I’ve made a few mistakes but my supervisor acknowledged that I wasn’t trained right. Just 2 weeks ago, reviews were going on and I asked my supervisor about mine. She said she was giving me a promotion and a raise. She showed me what she typed up for my review (or so she only wanted to show what she wanted me to see). She wrote I was a team player and always chips in to help. I asked if we would have a meeting. She said it’s corporate policy that the managers don’t meet with employees in person for reviews and only hand them the papers. The raise was only 1%, which is the standard apparently but I was willing to get anything higher than what I already make until I found another job. I am also graduating from my MBA and about to start paying the debt on that. I still haven’t received the documentation on the review or the raise.

Fast forward to today, I was called into HR’s office. I was told that I’ve been having performance issues regarding the stuff that she told me we would work on,since I had been incorrectly trained earlier. On top of that, somebody apparently complained about my attitude. I’m introverted and keep to myself, which really threw me off. I barely communicate with anyone in the company even via email, since most of my job entails printing off things. I told my supervisor I wish she pulled me into her office in person instead resorting to this. She stated this is corporate policy...but the last person I know who was given a PIP met with her manager before going through HR. She ended up being fired.

My supervisor made it seem like she’s on my side..but I don’t know what is the real deal since she will be super friendly to someone’s face and talk behind their back. I wasn’t given papers yet to sign regarding the PIP, but I’m assuming I’ll get it next week. I had an interview coming up on Monday and now I’m hesitant about calling in or coming in late, since I called this past Monday for another interview. I don’t know what I should do...I really need a job for bills and debt. I was thrown off about how slow it has been getting the said review/raise but was put on the PIP quickly.
Have you thought of checking the corporate policy to verify what your manager says is corporate policy? You seem to not care enough about your job to read the corporate policy. That's one of the simplest things you can do on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or