U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 PM
 
23 posts, read 10,290 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Long story, short: I’ve worked at my current job for about 1.5 years. Recently, we hired a temp to take over my old duties since I was promised a promotion and I took over some of my supervisor’s duties. I caught on that my supervisor and the temp knew each other outside of work...They will talk about personal things for hours. My supervisor started changing her attitude towards me. I’ve made a few mistakes but my supervisor acknowledged that I wasn’t trained right. Just 2 weeks ago, reviews were going on and I asked my supervisor about mine. She said she was giving me a promotion and a raise. She showed me what she typed up for my review (or so she only wanted to show what she wanted me to see). She wrote I was a team player and always chips in to help. I asked if we would have a meeting. She said it’s corporate policy that the managers don’t meet with employees in person for reviews and only hand them the papers. The raise was only 1%, which is the standard apparently but I was willing to get anything higher than what I already make until I found another job. I am also graduating from my MBA and about to start paying the debt on that. I still haven’t received the documentation on the review or the raise.

Fast forward to today, I was called into HR’s office. I was told that I’ve been having performance issues regarding the stuff that she told me we would work on,since I had been incorrectly trained earlier. On top of that, somebody apparently complained about my attitude. I’m introverted and keep to myself, which really threw me off. I barely communicate with anyone in the company even via email, since most of my job entails printing off things. I told my supervisor I wish she pulled me into her office in person instead resorting to this. She stated this is corporate policy...but the last person I know who was given a PIP met with her manager before going through HR. She ended up being fired.

My supervisor made it seem like she’s on my side..but I don’t know what is the real deal since she will be super friendly to someone’s face and talk behind their back. I wasn’t given papers yet to sign regarding the PIP, but I’m assuming I’ll get it next week. I had an interview coming up on Monday and now I’m hesitant about calling in or coming in late, since I called this past Monday for another interview. I don’t know what I should do...I really need a job for bills and debt. I was thrown off about how slow it has been getting the said review/raise but was put on the PIP quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 PM
 
17,260 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Reputation: 28783
Recommendations for Dealing with a PIP
Are you on a PIP? Here's how to deal with it


Your Boss Put You On A Performance Improvement Plan, Now What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Reputation: 2896
Those articles are bogus written by HR types. A PIP is to signal to the employee to find another job before they are fired. Being fired costs the company money and exposes them to lawsuits. But if they get you to quit on your own, then they don't have to pay a severance package, unemployment or costs of a lawsuit.

A PIP is a red flag you are going to be fired and just think of it as a heads-up to get out of there if you can before you are fired.

A PIP is bogus, because that is a very poor management style to use that direct employees to improve. That's what goal setting is for, and there should be no need for a PIP. A PIP is an HR device invented at the request of manage to be able to terminate someone so it is documented and to hopefully encourage the employee to quit finding another job before they have to fire you.

There are far too many people who have been placed on a PIP who have stories where they met or exceeded the PIP requirements only to be fired anyway. And before anyone says, "They can't fire you, if you met the PIP requirements..." that's not true. They can always say "We don't like the way you did things...".

I know some have shared where they used PIP on employees to get them to improve, and that's a poor management tool to use, that's what the annual goal settings is for. If you are placed on a PIP, find another job immediately even if you think you will survive the PIP, because you don't want to work in a place with poor management that jerks people around like that.

It is cheaper for the company to put people on a PIP than have a layoff, because layoffs cost the company money in severance and unemployment. It would be foolish to expect you are going to come out of the other side of the PIP with some kind of new respect from your management, like they show in fictional military themed movies. So management consults HR on how to reduce the staff cause they want to hire someone cheaper for the role, and this is the only way to do it.

Anyone who is conscientious about their work feels they have some area to improve on, and that's normal. So the PIP is used to exploit that in people to make them feel the whole thing is their fault and it isn't. If there is any real fault and a legit beef, it is a failing of management to put people on a PIP to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach21 View Post
Long story, short: Iíve worked at my current job for about 1.5 years. Recently, we hired a temp to take over my old duties since I was promised a promotion and I took over some of my supervisorís duties. I caught on that my supervisor and the temp knew each other outside of work...They will talk about personal things for hours. My supervisor started changing her attitude towards me. Iíve made a few mistakes but my supervisor acknowledged that I wasnít trained right. Just 2 weeks ago, reviews were going on and I asked my supervisor about mine. She said she was giving me a promotion and a raise. She showed me what she typed up for my review (or so she only wanted to show what she wanted me to see). She wrote I was a team player and always chips in to help. I asked if we would have a meeting. She said itís corporate policy that the managers donít meet with employees in person for reviews and only hand them the papers. The raise was only 1%, which is the standard apparently but I was willing to get anything higher than what I already make until I found another job. I am also graduating from my MBA and about to start paying the debt on that. I still havenít received the documentation on the review or the raise.

Fast forward to today, I was called into HRís office. I was told that Iíve been having performance issues regarding the stuff that she told me we would work on,since I had been incorrectly trained earlier. On top of that, somebody apparently complained about my attitude. Iím introverted and keep to myself, which really threw me off. I barely communicate with anyone in the company even via email, since most of my job entails printing off things. I told my supervisor I wish she pulled me into her office in person instead resorting to this. She stated this is corporate policy...but the last person I know who was given a PIP met with her manager before going through HR. She ended up being fired.

My supervisor made it seem like sheís on my side..but I donít know what is the real deal since she will be super friendly to someoneís face and talk behind their back. I wasnít given papers yet to sign regarding the PIP, but Iím assuming Iíll get it next week. I had an interview coming up on Monday and now Iím hesitant about calling in or coming in late, since I called this past Monday for another interview. I donít know what I should do...I really need a job for bills and debt. I was thrown off about how slow it has been getting the said review/raise but was put on the PIP quickly.
Sorry you are going through this. Play along with it, cause you don't want to appear unprofessional and don't let anyone else know you are on a PIP. Gather your best references (NOT your supervisor!), update your resume and begin your job search immediately. Do NOT say you are leaving the job because you are on a PIP. No one will know unless you tell them.

I've known people who got glowing reviews from their supervisor and then placed on a PIP to improve in 6 months, they did everything asked and were fired anyway cause they couldn't find another job in time. Please don't think of this as a personal failing on your part, because management that uses PIP is poor management.

If you have to take off time from work to interview for another job, call in sick if you have to, but go on the job interview! Also, take the whole day off, don't come into work all dressed up for an interview. Besides you are going to need the time to prepare for the job interview.

As I mentioned in another posting on this thread, anyone who is conscientious about their work feels they have some area to improve on and the use of the PIP makes the employee feel they are to blame.

Company policy, what hogwash, not to meet with people and discuss things. This is because they don't want you to improve anything, they just want to document they gave you the PIP and hope you find another job before they have to fire you. Play the game, keep up appearances on the job, but don't tell others about it, because they can't help you.

Ignore any advise and article telling you that management is doing you a favor by telling you what is expected of you now, that's crazy! That's what a manager should be doing all the time.

Again, sorry you are going through this, please don't accept this as your fault because it has nothing to do with your work. Which you already knew that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 04:22 AM
 
281 posts, read 123,994 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
As I mentioned in another posting on this thread, anyone who is conscientious about their work feels they have some area to improve on and the use of the PIP makes the employee feel they are to blame.

Ignore any advise and article telling you that management is doing you a favor by telling you what is expected of you now, that's crazy! That's what a manager should be doing all the time.

Again, sorry you are going through this, please don't accept this as your fault because it has nothing to do with your work. Which you already knew that!
This is very sound advice indeed. The OP needs to be his own advocate and know that he's not to blame. Otherwise, he'll end up with low self-esteem and lacking in self-confidence leading to anxiety and depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 AM
 
5,340 posts, read 5,300,572 times
Reputation: 12489
This is a weak manager but...he/she is getting rid of you so just know that. Look for another job. If it comes down to you being fired, negotiate with the org. that you will go peacefully if...(insert demands here). They will likely at least entertain the demands especially if you bring up past performance being good (assuming you have documentation of reviews, etc) and hint at a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
This is a weak manager but...he/she is getting rid of you so just know that. Look for another job. If it comes down to you being fired, negotiate with the org. that you will go peacefully if...(insert demands here). They will likely at least entertain the demands especially if you bring up past performance being good (assuming you have documentation of reviews, etc) and hint at a lawsuit.
Don't hint at a lawsuit. They know you are bluffing if you do that. That's the nonsense people see on TV, and management knows you aren't serious making a threat like that. Because if you could make money from the whole situation in a lawsuit with a strong case such as sexual harassment, race, religion or age discrimination, you wouldn't clue them into avoiding those mistakes. As for going peacefully, they really don't care, cause that would only hurt you and it just supports their reason for firing you. By the way, HR doesn't care about lawsuits, because it doesn't come out of their pocket anyway and it will be years before anything happens.

Just act professional, play the game you are following the PIP. Don't discuss it with any co-workers. Because you don't want word to get out for your new job that you are leaving cause you were on a PIP. The new employer would never know about that unless you tell them yourself. Meanwhile, you are still employed and looking for a new job just like anyone else.

There isn't anything to negotiate with being fired, cause they will have the severance package already put together. HR knows what they are doing here, because they have done it countless times before.

Being fired even though you did nothing wrong is still upsetting, but no one should make a bad situation worse by trying to be difficult or threatening on the way out. You will only regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:05 AM
 
17,260 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Reputation: 28783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Those articles are bogus written by HR types. A PIP is to signal to the employee to find another job before they are fired. Being fired costs the company money and exposes them to lawsuits. But if they get you to quit on your own, then they don't have to pay a severance package, unemployment or costs of a lawsuit.

A PIP is a red flag you are going to be fired and just think of it as a heads-up to get out of there if you can before you are fired.

A PIP is bogus, because that is a very poor management style to use that direct employees to improve. That's what goal setting is for, and there should be no need for a PIP. A PIP is an HR device invented at the request of manage to be able to terminate someone so it is documented and to hopefully encourage the employee to quit finding another job before they have to fire you.

There are far too many people who have been placed on a PIP who have stories where they met or exceeded the PIP requirements only to be fired anyway. And before anyone says, "They can't fire you, if you met the PIP requirements..." that's not true. They can always say "We don't like the way you did things...".

I know some have shared where they used PIP on employees to get them to improve, and that's a poor management tool to use, that's what the annual goal settings is for. If you are placed on a PIP, find another job immediately even if you think you will survive the PIP, because you don't want to work in a place with poor management that jerks people around like that.

It is cheaper for the company to put people on a PIP than have a layoff, because layoffs cost the company money in severance and unemployment. It would be foolish to expect you are going to come out of the other side of the PIP with some kind of new respect from your management, like they show in fictional military themed movies. So management consults HR on how to reduce the staff cause they want to hire someone cheaper for the role, and this is the only way to do it.

Anyone who is conscientious about their work feels they have some area to improve on, and that's normal. So the PIP is used to exploit that in people to make them feel the whole thing is their fault and it isn't. If there is any real fault and a legit beef, it is a failing of management to put people on a PIP to begin with.
Have you even read any of the articles?

It's not B.S. at all.

It's actually very good advice. Regardless of what a PIP is, doesn't mean you can't play the game with professionalism while you start the job hunt in earnest.

If you get a PIP, sure, it never looks good, but if you don't want to quit and possibly lose unemployment, doesn't mean you have to act unprofessionally the rest of your time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Have you even read any of the articles?

It's not B.S. at all.

It's actually very good advice. Regardless of what a PIP is, doesn't mean you can't play the game with professionalism while you start the job hunt in earnest.

If you get a PIP, sure, it never looks good, but if you don't want to quit and possibly lose unemployment, doesn't mean you have to act unprofessionally the rest of your time there.
Who said you should act unprofessional about it? Did I say to do that? No. I think you need to read what I wrote.

Last edited by rummage; 04-19-2019 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
2,280 posts, read 1,154,679 times
Reputation: 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
This is very sound advice indeed. The OP needs to be his own advocate and know that he's not to blame.
Really? It's completely impossible that s/he isn't that good at their job and has performance/attitude issues? No chance at all?

Quote:
Otherwise, he'll end up with low self-esteem and lacking in self-confidence leading to anxiety and depression.
And sailing through life with the serene confidence that you're right and everyone else is wrong leads to narcissism and an inability to accept constructive criticism for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top