Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times

Advertisements

I read that some firms are hiring even though they have no work for the new hire, just so they have a "bullpen" for when the work comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 AM

235 posts, read 157,454 times
If you look on Indeed regularly you may notice the same jobs disappear and reappear regularly.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
If you look on Indeed regularly you may notice the same jobs disappear and reappear regularly.
True. I've seen jobs re-posted three times in five months. Are a lot of places just hiring the wrong people who eventually quit?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
True. I've seen jobs re-posted three times in five months. Are a lot of places just hiring the wrong people who eventually quit?
Some of it is just endless fishing for perfect hires. Costs little to keep looking; no motivation to hire anything but some idealized candidate. Keeps HR busy and productive.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 AM

235 posts, read 157,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
True. I've seen one job re-posted three times in five months. Are a lot of places just hiring the wrong people who quit?
On Snagajob there is a disclaimer that there is not necessarily openings for the positions on the website. Some of those places have such high turnover I can see why Papa John’s, for example, would want to keep something on the site.

I think a lot of the perpetual job ads on Indeed may be from staffing companiees. Like me and thousands of other Americans I spend a lot of time every day carpet bombing my resume to positions I feel I may be qualified for. I do not know much about the organizations I apply to work for, because beggars can’t be choosers. This is probably how staffing companies build their database of resumes.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
I see a lot of companies love to pile on the layers of management while at the same time cutting their workforce to bare bones

A lot of those positions aren’t real. A lot of companies love to give the “impression” there hiring to swindle the stockholders etc. with how business is so good

Old 04-19-2019, 02:30 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Some of it is just endless fishing for perfect hires. Costs little to keep looking; no motivation to hire anything but some idealized candidate. Keeps HR busy and productive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I see a lot of companies love to pile on the layers of management while at the same time cutting their workforce to bare bones

A lot of those positions aren’t real. A lot of companies love to give the “impression” there hiring to swindle the stockholders etc. with how business is so good
I'm just wondering when the jigg will finally be up?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I read that some firms are hiring even though they have no work for the new hire, just so they have a "bullpen" for when the work comes.
Sounds awful--you'd be the first one laid off during budget cuts.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
I had a job like that I've heard of people saying the same thing. Makes me wonder why the company would waste money like that? Salary is a huge expense.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:28 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,914,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

How does claiming to be hiring lead to increased financials that stockholders would see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment