U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,716,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I think a lot of answers like this stem from that most of us can't get our minds around having that much money. We work for a living, and sometimes time off either means 'staycations' (because you can't really afford to go anywhere), or, "I have to take care of this, that, and the other around the house."

When the lottery hit that 1.3 billion awhile back, my coworkers and I had gone in on tickets together and joked about what we'd do if we won. I like to window shop houses (even ones I definitely can't afford) just because I find it fun. I'd mentioned there was a beautiful Victorian home that I'd be tempted to buy if I had the money, and then said, "But it has all this fancy carved woodwork that would be a pain to keep clean, and I'm not sure I'd want to spend time doing that." One of my coworkers pointed out that if I had the money to buy such a house, then I'd have the money to *hire* somebody to clean the woodwork for me. And that thought just really stunned me, because I'm so used to having to do my own cleaning that the thought of *really* being able to hire somebody to do it for me didn't enter my mind right away.
Reminds me of a documentary I saw once on the lifestyles of the wealthy (no, not that one about famous people partying, but working wealthy). One of the things it pointed out was what you just said. The wealthy pay people to do those mundane jobs of cleaning because it literally isn't worth their time. One of them said "I make $7000 an hour. If I take an hour to clean the bathroom, I lost $7000. It's cheaper to pay someone to clean the house than do it myself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:00 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,709,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
Say tomorrow, 10,000,000 was deposited in your checking account, would you still work?

Best not quit your job. The bank will quickly discover the mistake and pull it back out of your account.

$10 million is enough to retire on. Only if you are careful. Investment returns aren't that high. You could live on the interest and not touch the capital, but you would have to be disciplined about it. Money spends really fast and disappears into indulgence if you don't watch it.

More than one lottery winner has discovered that millions don't last forever.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:05 PM

15,230 posts, read 8,523,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Best not quit your job. The bank will quickly discover the mistake and pull it back out of your account.

$10 million is enough to retire on. Only if you are careful. Investment returns aren't that high. You could live on the interest and not touch the capital, but you would have to be disciplined about it. Money spends really fast and disappears into indulgence if you don't watch it.

More than one lottery winner has discovered that millions don't last forever.
Only if you're a CURRENT millionaire might you have much trouble living on the properly invested returns from $10 million! Even at a very conservative 3% annual withdrawal rate that gives you $300k - that works for me! I mean, you'll always have SS too!

Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 PM

12,914 posts, read 8,744,614 times
20 years ago, I was in the office of the CEO that had 400 million $ in personal wealth. He told me that being a CEO means coming to work at 7am and leaving at 7pm. He gets only 4 hours of sleep before he gets up at 5am and goes to the gym and goes straight to work. He puts in over 10-12 hours a work a day.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:53 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,762,134 times
If you were given millions of dollars, would you still work?

Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM

935 posts, read 1,056,753 times
No because I’d be afraid of someone finding a way to try to sue me for my winnings.

Idk how they’d do it, but I have faith that someone would attempt it. So I would not continue to work.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:31 PM

1,185 posts, read 406,528 times
Inflation is accelerating. A fortune today may be lunch money later.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 PM

5,340 posts, read 5,302,061 times
No, not in the sense the OP likely means anyway.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 PM

203 posts, read 74,664 times
I would do nothing. I would sit on my ass. I would relax. I would do nothing.

Nothing, huh? You don't need a million dollars to do nothing. Look at my cousin. He's broke. Don't do ****.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM

203 posts, read 74,664 times
Office space if you don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or