Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

In terms of low wages, high stress and low job security; well at least according to Detroit Free Press.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...rica/39364439/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 PM

801 posts, read 547,514 times
As a guy who had to grow up with a parent who drives a taxi for a living, i'd say #1 is spot on.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Theres no "job security" for anyone in the private sector. (most all will be outsourced or just eliminated at the end of the day and merged with another position) They're all tied for #1 unless you have the security of the federal/public sector jobs

Unless you're a well paid executive with a guaranteed golden parachute, I would strongly refrain from the private sector PERIOD these days. All private sector jobs suck by and large today. Its just what the level of suckage is. Its fine for people that weasel their way to the top and run the companies. Not good for anyone else left with table scraps

Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I saw this earlier today. The worst jobs were ranked so by projections of future job growth (or contraction, in those cases).

Old 04-20-2019, 11:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
What is not being said is for many working at those jobs, is many people do not have mental ability, education, or have other problems, holding them back from high paid and executive type jobs.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Eh, #17 is my profession of choice. I made about 1.5 times that at my current company. That's just the start, though, and will increase into the lower 6 figures within a couple years. Money like that doesn't come without experience and a proven record for safety. People with a crappy MVR often end up driving dump trucks. Have you seen how they drive? They tend to drive like maniacs.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 AM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In terms of low wages, high stress and low job security; well at least according to Detroit Free Press.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...rica/39364439/

I'm really surprised bya few jobs on the list, like roofer and welder. I thought welders especially were in demand, but I thought both paid better. I don't agree about firefighter, though. Their base pay may not be that high, but it pays enough to live well and the pension and benefits are great, at least in Jersey. I understand they are using other criteria than money, but to me there are other jobs that could be in that slot.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
I’m surprised by a few of these jobs as well. A friend’s wife was a buyer (she is still one, but not in the US) and she made quite a bit more than the wage suggested in the article in a city with a sensible cost of living. She moved to the UK and took a pay cut to work for a large grocery chain there, but I think she found her job to be better over there.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I am surprised about photography. It can be a great career for people, they can make their own hours and be self-employed. Many professional photographers get training, certifications and have to purchase expensive camera equipment, so their results can't be duplicated by an amateur using a cell phone to take pictures.

I'd be willing to be the person who wrote this article has little or no idea what many of these occupations actually do or what's involved in them.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Theres no "job security" for anyone in the private sector. (most all will be outsourced or just eliminated at the end of the day and merged with another position) They're all tied for #1 unless you have the security of the federal/public sector jobs

Unless you're a well paid executive with a guaranteed golden parachute, I would strongly refrain from the private sector PERIOD these days. All private sector jobs suck by and large today. Its just what the level of suckage is. Its fine for people that weasel their way to the top and run the companies. Not good for anyone else left with table scraps
Job security comes in degrees. Of course anyone can be fired or laid off. I've personally seen this in private and public sectors, though much more in private. But all private sector jobs are NOT tied for #1. That's just a ridiculous statement. And they don't "all suck by and large today". Another ridiculous statement. How anyone can make such a blanket statement about the literally millions of jobs out there is beyond me. I've worked in both public and private sectors and each working situation was different.

Regarding the list, I'm surprised commercial fisherman wasn't listed. Fairly low pay, one of if not the most dangerous jobs out there, stressful working conditions. Then again, there are plenty of people who work in those jobs listed who like their jobs based on what I've read. People are different, a job suitable for one may not be suitable for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment