Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:43 PM

400 posts, read 361,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Never ever volunteer to your supervisor that you are a bad fit. Even if it is true, don’t do it. Even if management told you that you are a bad fit, contest it. Make them show proof of it. Same with taking a voluntary demotion. If management thought you were worthy of being promoted and you come along and ask to be demoted, you have just said to them they didn’t know what they’re were doing when they promoted you. In such a scenario, management will not honor your request because it confirms their mistake, and let me tell you that won’t happen.

I’ve seen dozens of people promoted who had no business being promoted, yet they met the criteria for a certain position and moved up the ladder. These same people were absolute failures, yet management refused to demote them because it would make them look like they didn’t know what they were doing. Their solution instead was to do a lateral move into another area where they now become someone else’s problem.

OP, do the best job you can possibly do and as someone already pointed out, document everything. It’s a pain to do all of that, but worth it in the end should you be called on the carpet over your performance.
I said this because I was becoming frustrated with my situation and am willing to take a pay cut to get out. For Christ sakes, my boss extended my probation ONE day before it was going to end, lol. Prior to this she told me that she had been bragging to others about my work. This is a bit suspicious because if I had performance issues why did she wait a day or so before my probation to end before telling me this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- Document (save copies) -- of how the work comes to you, and the corrections you make.

-- Get a paper trail of any improvements you make. (This note is just confirming that you'd like me to XYZ.) So when XYZ turns out to be wrong, your boss told you to do it.

-- Ask that manager what s/he'd like you to do when work comes to you that is unacceptable? Send it back? Get approval to correct it?
I do such high volume work so this is very possible but can be extremely difficult. As I mentioned in previous posts there are some type of internal politics going into play because the department head will NOT take the other department to task. From what little I Know, I am not the only person that has had issues with the other department and the unacceptable work they provide. However in each instance my boss ALWAYS takes the other departments side. She had done this to other people in the office who are higher up than me.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 PM

10,592 posts, read 12,019,283 times
Providing more context is fine.
But I still don't think you helped yourself by admitting you could be a bad fit, and offering to take a demotion.

You've been there 8 years, and moved up, so this shouldn't be a career killer.
But I'd never say what you did, again.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Providing more context is fine.
But I still don't think you helped yourself by admitting you could be a bad fit, and offering to take a demotion.

You've been there 8 years, and moved up, so this shouldn't be a career killer.
But I'd never say what you did, again.

Good luck!
I was just frustrated because I didn't want to be there anymore.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 AM

12 posts, read 17,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post

What should I do? I have never had performance issues in a department in my entire life. The big boss of the office said that she could terminate me but she wants to give me another chance, but I just honestly want to be transferred because the office is toxic.

Hate to say it is a common problem, but you need to take steps to protect yourself and not just rely on what is already in your personnel file. There is the saying that points out that people are promoted past their level of competency and your boss or who ever oversees her is going to probably take that tact as they'll be looking to put the blame on the lowest level employee. As already pointed out, document every assignment your given, instructions, where you get your information to do your reports. I almost had a supervisor do that to me, but I was still doing CYA paperwork documenting everything and my supervisors boss looked it over before removing my supervisor and putting me in his position.

I was going through almost the same situation for about a month before the plant recieved a new plant manager due to all the issues. And after a month or so of reviewing, he got out his skinning knife and the blood started to flow as he removed all but one department supervisor (14 or 15 lost their positions) and numerous shift supervisors for departments that ran more then one shift. Went from one of the worst positions I worked to one I stayed at for over 8 years before my health turned bad. I do admit I miss it though.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,757,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I was just frustrated because I didn't want to be there anymore.
You are getting emotional and that won't work in your favor.

When you catch these mistakes can you just fix them and send the document on, or is this out of your scope? It is annoying to constantly fix others mistakes but sometimes you just gotta do what you need to and move on.

The general adage of just doing things the way the boss wants applies here.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:16 PM

5,122 posts, read 4,452,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
When you catch these mistakes can you just fix them and send the document on, or is this out of your scope? It is annoying to constantly fix others mistakes but sometimes you just gotta do what you need to and move on.

The general adage of just doing things the way the boss wants applies here.
^^^^ I would advise the bolded above, too.

In addition, when emailing in your completed work, add a message listing all the corrections you had to make. Highlight the corrections on the page, and in the body of the email indicate the page numbers where the corrected information is. Copy your supervisor and the supervisor of the other department on these mailings.

The goal is to go along with what your supervisor wants, yet getting recognition for all the extra work you're doing. Yes, it's annoying.

A cooperative attitude and good work will get you out of that place--and with less stress and perhaps a promotion.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:33 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,838,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
A cooperative attitude and good work will get you out of that place--and with less stress and perhaps a promotion.
This could not be further from the truth. A cooperative attitude and good work won't save you from politics and departmental budget issues. I have experienced this directly as well as with multiple close colleagues who are all very talented in the field.

1) Politics/Social Club/The Clique/The Frat
2) Money (How much you're being paid and the budget of your department)
3) Your Effectiveness as an Individual

In that order.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,191,556 times
You are good at what you're doing.

They don't want to lose that.

Time to do a stealth job search (don't tell anyone at work you're looking for a new job, and tell recruiters not to contact your current employer). The only way to get a promotion is if you go to a new company that actually gives them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment