U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:08 PM

102 posts, read 95,086 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current company for 8 years. In my eight years I have applied for and been selected for various positions which have been promotions. In this time period, I have received great evaluations and commendations. I am in a new position which I have been in about 6 months. In the beginning my boss was telling me about how well I was doing and I got several compliments. This is a completely new position for me. I noticed early on that the guy I report to was not very competent. He has to sign off on my work and he would make suggestions and I would take them because well he is very educated and they would be wrong. He would make mistakes on lots of things but he is higher up than me and I am getting blamed when I am support staff. A day before my probation ends (probation starts back up when you start a new position) my boss requests to extend it by a few months. (It is also easier to terminate an employee in probation) She claimed that it was my work product and that I needed to have a happier demeanor and collaborate. Mind you in my personnel file, all reviews for previous jobs have been wonderful.

In this same meeting she said that I am competent, I told her that it may just be that I am a bad fit and that I would prefer to transfer or take a demotion but she DENIED me. Here's the thing, if my work product is bad and I am a bad employee why is she refusing a transfer or let me taking a demotion. I feel that she knows the issue is the guy I report to and she knows that if I leave and they hire a new person it is going to be the same problem. I feel like I get blamed for everything and I am still really new. I would catch this guys errors and started to feel that he is not competent and therefore would not go to him.

I am not saying I never make a mistake, but very frequently, the other department sends work to us wrong and I was not trained to check their work because it should be correct. I was putting together these documents and I would get the blame if they were done wrong although my higher up boss was reviewing them. I am stressed to the max.

What should I do? I have never had performance issues in a department in my entire life. The big boss of the office said that she could terminate me but she wants to give me another chance, but I just honestly want to be transferred because the office is toxic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
Do you know what he’s telling you is wrong? If a lot of stuff is happening wrong in the department I would be looking and evaluating everyone.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:31 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
-- Document (save copies) -- of how the work comes to you, and the corrections you make.

-- Get a paper trail of any improvements you make. (This note is just confirming that you'd like me to XYZ.) So when XYZ turns out to be wrong, your boss told you to do it.

-- Ask that manager what s/he'd like you to do when work comes to you that is unacceptable? Send it back? Get approval to correct it?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:07 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
In many cases, something like this may have nothing to do with your performance. In a transfer situation, the department you're leaving probably has to approve. It sounds like the manager has singled you out and would rather fire you than fix whatever is wrong or let you leave.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 AM

OP, to be honest, I don't know why you were so quick to say that you may be a bad fit and that you would prefer to transfer or take a demotion.

You've been with the company for EIGHT YEARS, never had any issues and you kow-tow like that?

I've never had any issues as you describe so maybe I'm off base, but I really think it was ill-advised for you to describe yourself as a possible bad fit and offer to take a demotion. Are you crazy?

To me you just validated everything she said that was bad about your work. When you know it's not you.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 931,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, to be honest, I don't know why you were so quick to say that you may be a bad fit and that you would prefer to transfer or take a demotion.

You've been with the company for EIGHT YEARS, never had any issues and you kow-tow like that?

I've never had any issues as you describe so maybe I'm off base, but I really think it was ill-advised for you to describe yourself as a possible bad fit and offer to take a demotion. Are you crazy?

To me you just validated everything she said that was bad about your work. When you know it's not you.
Never ever volunteer to your supervisor that you are a bad fit. Even if it is true, donít do it. Even if management told you that you are a bad fit, contest it. Make them show proof of it. Same with taking a voluntary demotion. If management thought you were worthy of being promoted and you come along and ask to be demoted, you have just said to them they didnít know what theyíre were doing when they promoted you. In such a scenario, management will not honor your request because it confirms their mistake, and let me tell you that wonít happen.

Iíve seen dozens of people promoted who had no business being promoted, yet they met the criteria for a certain position and moved up the ladder. These same people were absolute failures, yet management refused to demote them because it would make them look like they didnít know what they were doing. Their solution instead was to do a lateral move into another area where they now become someone elseís problem.

OP, do the best job you can possibly do and as someone already pointed out, document everything. Itís a pain to do all of that, but worth it in the end should you be called on the carpet over your performance.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Never ever volunteer to your supervisor that you are a bad fit. Even if it is true, don’t do it. Even if management told you that you are a bad fit, contest it. Make them show proof of it. Same with taking a voluntary demotion.
I fear that damage has been done. There's no un-ringing that bell. Unless, eventually, the OP can prove her worth more than she has been. And really knocks their socks off with her performance from here on out. But that's going to be tougher because she's already said from her own mouth that she may not be a good fit and would take demotion.

OP, I take it you were caught off guard by the bad evaluation. Maybe you were stunned and didn't know what to say. So I'll ask...why didn't you defend yourself -- or at least point out to the manager -- what you've said here. That they were not your mistakes.

By not doing that, and saying what you did, you -- in their minds -- validated and accepted their opinion that you (and your work) are the problem.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do you know what heís telling you is wrong? If a lot of stuff is happening wrong in the department I would be looking and evaluating everyone.
I do clerical work and I report to an attorney. He gets in his feels when I have to point out things. You see, I am in a bad spot because it is a huge shot to his ego. I have started to figure out that there are organizational issues in this department that existed long before I got this transfer. There is a a certain department who sends paperwork to us. On many occasions the paperwork is not completed. I am new in the field and my training consisted of this is how you will draft these documents, not you should look for a. b. and c. Now what is happening is when I complete said document and send to the other department they will say I changed the order or I trashed something which is not true. My boss refuses to stand up for us. From my understanding this dynamic has existed before me.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I fear that damage has been done. There's no un-ringing that bell. Unless, eventually, the OP can prove her worth more than she has been. And really knocks their socks off with her performance from here on out. But that's going to be tougher because she's already said from her own mouth that she may not be a good fit and would take demotion.

OP, I take it you were caught off guard by the bad evaluation. Maybe you were stunned and didn't know what to say. So I'll ask...why didn't you defend yourself -- or at least point out to the manager -- what you've said here. That they were not your mistakes.

By not doing that, and saying what you did, you -- in their minds -- validated and accepted their opinion that you (and your work) are the problem.
Oh I did do that. But during this little pow wow I was said I was being defensive and from now on she does not want to hear anything else about it. If a mistake occurs and it is not my doing, I am just supposed to eat crow and correct. (not her words) but essentially this is what she wants. I sad that I was not a good fit because in my mind I did not take this job to be abused and used as a scape goats for other's work.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Let me explain. I have been at the company for this many years but have worked in different departments. Just for example, lets just say in years 1-3 I worked in Accounting, years 2-6, Human Resources and so on and so forth. In each dept. I had different supervisors and have had nothing but excellent performance evaluations by different people. IN this current department I am having some issues and rather than stay in this disaster I would rather transfer out because there are issues that need to be resolved but my boss, for whatever reason, has chosen to just keep things as they are. I even have a letter in my personnel file with a letter from the CEO commending me. I have never had my probation extended in my life and I feel this is happening because I refuse to just shut up accept what is going on. When I show my boss proof, I am called being defensive. I pretty much do my work, be cordial to my colleagues. My boss said that I was cold and intimidating. When I say bad fit I mean in the sense that because I am a more introverted employee. Tbh I am just at a point at which I would rather move to a different department than remain here. In my previous job, my boss would go to bad for her employees, this one does not.

Last edited by tigergirl87; 04-22-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or