U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)

9,636 posts, read 3,682,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
PriscillaVanilla DID say "probably" multiple times. That indicates that she doesn't know for a fact, and she never said otherwise, and therefore isn't required to provide proof.

Thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Nurses noticed and the protest has begun...
Can't say I blame them. They were insulted.

I'd be curious to know how many senators and congresspersons have ever worked in healthcare fields.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:45 PM

9,255 posts, read 8,323,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's about time we stop sanctifying nurses!

I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 17 years and, thru the years, my opinions of nurses fell year after year.

In the facility I worked at, a good number of nurses, and the Charge Nurse, and the CNA's as well, spent an inordinate amount of time on their Smartphones, any chance they got. Charge Nurse loved to play Candy Crush. Some would pass their meds with ear buds in their ears, listening to music.

Their big concern was head count. For if the head count went below a certain number, one nurse would have to go home and use up some of her PTO. Yes, it's heads to these people! That's all they are, a paycheck! And where on earth is the compassion? Compassion Fatigue is not uncommon in the entire health care field, and some never had any compassion from the gitgo, and the attraction to the high wages is what put them there.

I used to love to scare these nurses, occasionally, and bring up Physician Assisted Suicide. That would sometimes turn them whiter than ghosts! So many nurses are so annoyingly smug: They will always need nurses, the most secure job you can find! So that's why I use to enjoy bringing that up, like telling them that Canada instituted a nationwide physician assisted suicide law. And let them squirm!

Nurses are too selfish to start a movement to bring physician assisted suicide to their state, and so what, many are kept alive, like in the Vent/Trac unit, with tubes and tubes, with no chance of recovery.
Aren't you just a joy to be around?

FWIW, hardly anyone employs CNAs any longer.

Yes, the 1960s were very different in the medical field than it is today.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

CNAs are employed like crazy almost everywhere. It is the ultimate job security to be a CNA.

There might be some hospitals that use fewer CNAs and LVNs, but they are still hired constantly in rehabs, nursing homes and clinics. CNAs do not have problems finding jobs.
The last time I was in the hospital I saw plenty of CNAs working (although they are often referred to as a Patient Care Technician, same thing, pretty much).

There are more than 1.5 million CNA positions in the USA now. That number is projected to increase by 21%.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM

9,255 posts, read 8,323,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
CNAs are employed like crazy almost everywhere. It is the ultimate job security to be a CNA.

There might be some hospitals that use fewer CNAs and LVNs, but they are still hired constantly in rehabs, nursing homes and clinics. CNAs do not have problems finding jobs.
The last time I was in the hospital I saw plenty of CNAs working (although they are often referred to as a Patient Care Technician, same thing, pretty much).

There are more than 1.5 million CNA positions in the USA now. That number is projected to increase by 21%.
Let me rephrase, in South Florida, CNAs do not make more than minimum wage and are not hired for hospitals or doctors offices. They are used in rehab and retirement homes because they are cheap labor.

And this is the point you got out of tijlover belittling health professionals??

Old 04-23-2019, 05:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 486,582 times
This state Senator, whose name is Maureen Walsh is not doing doing control now that she's gotten national media attention.

Out of touch, politico.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:15 PM

36 posts, read 16,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Can't say I blame them. They were insulted.

I'd be curious to know how many senators and congresspersons have ever worked in healthcare fields.
Here’s a wikipedia article that covers just that subject (caveat lector, as always with web sources):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phys...tates_Congress

Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM

9,603 posts, read 17,192,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Aren't you just a joy to be around?

Yes, the 1960s were very different in the medical field than it is today.
Lol I don’t think nurses were playing with their smartphones in the sixties.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
Yeah, let's say her name again - Senator Maureen Walsh of Washington State, Republican, will one day end up in a hospital bed and look up and see the nurse grab her clipboard and read her name and then do a double take and look at the name on the clipboard again and slowly.....smile....

Old 04-24-2019, 11:26 AM

5,038 posts, read 3,224,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Washington state senator has drawn the ire of nurses after remarks she made suggesting that nurses in smaller hospitals "probably play cards for a considerable amount of the day."

The Washington State Senate considered a bill Tuesday, SHB 1155, that would provide nurses with uninterrupted meal and rest periods.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/20/polit...rks/index.html
Yes, she apologized also and she plans to shadow a nurse for 12 hour shift. At least she's willing to see what it's really like as a nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or