U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 AM

5,034 posts, read 3,220,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, let's say her name again - Senator Maureen Walsh of Washington State, Republican, will one day end up in a hospital bed and look up and see the nurse grab her clipboard and read her name and then do a double take and look at the name on the clipboard again and slowly.....smile....
So you think it's ok for nurses to take revenge? How shallow your life must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM

159 posts, read 255,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's about time we stop sanctifying nurses!

I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 17 years and, thru the years, my opinions of nurses fell year after year.

In the facility I worked at, a good number of nurses, and the Charge Nurse, and the CNA's as well, spent an inordinate amount of time on their Smartphones, any chance they got. Charge Nurse loved to play Candy Crush. Some would pass their meds with ear buds in their ears, listening to music.

Their big concern was head count. For if the head count went below a certain number, one nurse would have to go home and use up some of her PTO. Yes, it's heads to these people! That's all they are, a paycheck! And where on earth is the compassion? Compassion Fatigue is not uncommon in the entire health care field, and some never had any compassion from the gitgo, and the attraction to the high wages is what put them there.

I used to love to scare these nurses, occasionally, and bring up Physician Assisted Suicide. That would sometimes turn them whiter than ghosts! So many nurses are so annoyingly smug: They will always need nurses, the most secure job you can find! So that's why I use to enjoy bringing that up, like telling them that Canada instituted a nationwide physician assisted suicide law. And let them squirm!

Nurses are too selfish to start a movement to bring physician assisted suicide to their state, and so what, many are kept alive, like in the Vent/Trac unit, with tubes and tubes, with no chance of recovery.
Wow! I wish I worked there. The LTC facility I worked at, I had 38 patients and barely time for a bathroom break. CNAs don't do wound care, blood sugars, insulins, tube feeds, meds, assessments, skin checks, communicating with physicians as well as family members, dealing with falls, deteriorating conditions, not to mentions the screeds of documentation that never ends.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 PM

17,412 posts, read 21,254,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Lol I don’t think nurses were playing with their smartphones in the sixties.
There could be 4 call lights on in my hall, and there's my nurse, on her Smartphone, telling me I had 4 call lights on in my hall. I answer one, and who knows, I could be in there for 10 minutes and no one answering the other 3 call lights, and do you think this nurse would put down her Smartphone and answer a call light. I've heard it too often. "That's not my job!"

There used to be an Administrator that would do surprise visits at 1-2am on the night shift. And, seeing call lights on, she'd point to the nurses at the nurse's station: Answer those call lights! In that situation, they didn't have the luxury of saying: "That's not my job!"

I used to laugh when there'd be Nurse's Day and these Nurse's would wear these I Care buttons. I Care? Only care about their paychecks!

Old 04-28-2019, 04:54 AM

6,043 posts, read 11,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Yes, she apologized also and she plans to shadow a nurse for 12 hour shift. At least she's willing to see what it's really like as a nurse.
The totality of her comments- along with the “apology” refute any sincerity.

Following a nurse won’t help, she’s a tool of corporate for-profit healthcare and nothing she says will prove different.

“My mom was a nurse “ is on the same level as telling us how many black friends you have.

She’s obviously never worked a real job in her life and can’t possibly understand the concept.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 AM

What's really changed the world of nursing is the higher and higher wages, which attracts a whole different type of nurse, motivated largely by the higher wages. Some RN's are making up to $40 an hour. At the LTC/Rehab facility I worked at, they employed mostly LPN's, and they were being paid $20-$22 an hour. And too many of them would jump at the chance of working extra shifts a week, for the overtime. I knew of LPN's who would work 6 12-hour shifts a week.

Owning a BMW or Mercedes doesn't come cheap!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
There could be 4 call lights on in my hall, and there's my nurse, on her Smartphone, telling me I had 4 call lights on in my hall. I answer one, and who knows, I could be in there for 10 minutes and no one answering the other 3 call lights, and do you think this nurse would put down her Smartphone and answer a call light. I've heard it too often. "That's not my job!"

There used to be an Administrator that would do surprise visits at 1-2am on the night shift. And, seeing call lights on, she'd point to the nurses at the nurse's station: Answer those call lights! In that situation, they didn't have the luxury of saying: "That's not my job!"

I used to laugh when there'd be Nurse's Day and these Nurse's would wear these I Care buttons. I Care? Only care about their paychecks!
Call-lights are logged and tracked by computer, even in roach-infested nursing homes - admistrators don’t need to visit at 2am to know how many lights are on, or how long they take to get answered. They know and they absolutely don’t care. If they did care, they wouldn’t routinely staff 1 nurse and 2 aides for 35-40 patients during overnight shifts. By one am, your patients that are reluctant to go to bed are just getting there, and at 3-4 am, they’re demanding to get up again.

Lpn paychecks are maybe $20 an hour- in some areas much less. Hardly worth acting like they’re moguls or something. The administrator at hacienda healthcare (where the comatose patient got raped & had a baby) made a $500,000 bonus. At a “non profit” facility.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
What's really changed the world of nursing is the higher and higher wages, which attracts a whole different type of nurse, motivated largely by the higher wages. Some RN's are making up to $40 an hour. At the LTC/Rehab facility I worked at, they employed mostly LPN's, and they were being paid $20-$22 an hour. And too many of them would jump at the chance of working extra shifts a week, for the overtime. I knew of LPN's who would work 6 12-hour shifts a week.

Owning a BMW or Mercedes doesn't come cheap!
$20 an hour is $40,000 a year - that was a respectable wage in 1990, today, not so much.

Rn’s that work the floor in nursing homes make closer to $30 an hour today.

Overtime is only necessary because the working conditions are so hellish that no one wants to accept the liability of working in a nursing facility. That’s a management problem, not a nursing problem.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 14 days ago)

9,563 posts, read 3,670,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

Lpn paychecks are maybe $20 an hour- in some areas much less. Hardly worth acting like they’re moguls or something. The administrator at hacienda healthcare (where the comatose patient got raped & had a baby) made a $500,000 bonus. At a “non profit” facility.
$10 an hour to CNAs and LVNs get $15 an hour, they claim they can't possibly afford to pay more; but the administrator gets a 500K bonus? And I'd bet anything that patient wasn't the only one who was raped. There were likely other victims.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
$10 an hour to CNAs and LVNs get $15 an hour, they claim they can't possibly afford to pay more; but the administrator gets a 500K bonus? And I'd bet anything that patient wasn't the only one who was raped. There were likely other victims.
AT the facility I worked at, the Administrator gets a sizeable bonus for the money she saved the corporation during the year, and this corporation ran over 400 homes. That should be outlawed! Since these places are dependent , largely, on Medicare/Medicaid payments from the government, then why not make these place government run?

Old 04-28-2019, 09:59 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Watch the karma bite the "senator" if she ever needs to stay in a hospital. She's getting up there in age and that probability keeps going up.

The question is not IF karma will hit her, it is WHEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or