Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 05:40 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

I was just reading about the Chinese High Tech workers, where it's not unusual at all to be working 9am-9pn, 6 days a week and no overtime paid. That was the U.S. over a 100 years ago, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. And what, pray tell, would you do on that one day off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 06:22 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was just reading about the Chinese High Tech workers, where it's not unusual at all to be working 9am-9pn, 6 days a week and no overtime paid. That was the U.S. over a 100 years ago, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. And what, pray tell, would you do on that one day off?
I work with Chinese from China (but I don't work and live in China).

They've been talking about Jack Ma's recent statements and I've been asking them questions.

No one agrees with him, and I don't either.

If someone works 996,

how do they relieve stress, be with family, start a family, try to get healthy?

Who benefits? Only the corporation.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:28 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
That's a schedule that kill you. But some fields are like that (IT startups, banking, medicine, law, etc.). If you want to be part of them, you have to play the game.

I had a schedule like that (it was actually worse 12/12/8) for seven years. It wasn't "officially" imposed by the company. But it was an unofficial rule. Everyone who wanted to get ahead knew they had to do it. I just resigned myself to having no life until I'd attained my career goal. On my days off, all I did was sleep.

All of us who became successful were able to do it until we were 30 years old. Suddenly at 30, what had been a pain in the a** simply became impossible. Our bodies could no longer cope. This was routine in the industry. At that time all of us were promoted to positions with regular hours.

I don't see how anyone can survive with a 9/9/6 schedule into middle age.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:10 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Unpaid overtime = corporate welfare.

Didn't Jack Ma talk about all corporations going to the 3 day workweek? He clearly doesn't believe what he is saying.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
That's a schedule that kill you. But some fields are like that (IT startups, banking, medicine, law, etc.). If you want to be part of them, you have to play the game.

I had a schedule like that (it was actually worse 12/12/8) for seven years. It wasn't "officially" imposed by the company. But it was an unofficial rule. Everyone who wanted to get ahead knew they had to do it. I just resigned myself to having no life until I'd attained my career goal. On my days off, all I did was sleep.

All of us who became successful were able to do it until we were 30 years old. Suddenly at 30, what had been a pain in the a** simply became impossible. Our bodies could no longer cope. This was routine in the industry. At that time all of us were promoted to positions with regular hours.

I don't see how anyone can survive with a 9/9/6 schedule into middle age.
As I understand it, 996 is 9am-9pm, 6 days a week. 12/12/8 would be noon-midnight (maybe midnight-noon?) 8 days a week.

Obviously we are using different nomenclature here.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On any day that you got off, or even a few hours off, you slept. You had to be as rested and as sharp as possible when you got back to the grind. Analysis, coding, documentation, or support, you had to be with it so you could keep up with your work and talk to clients, coworkers, and management rationally. Any time you were able to go home, you crashed and rested as much as you could.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:24 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
I'd verify that information before proceeding any further. All we have here is "I was just reading about..." with no source and no references.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:49 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
All we have here is "I was just reading about..." with no source and no references.
You just described 90% of these forums.

Whatever someone reads online that supports their preconceived notions is what they will choose to believe as a source, regardless of those annoying facts.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You just described 90% of these forums.

Whatever someone reads online that supports their preconceived notions is what they will choose to believe as a source, regardless of those annoying facts.
Sad but true. Most people have a conclusion then search for something to support it, discarding anything contrary. Exactly the opposite of what should be done when trying to determine the truth.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:30 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Labor protection law is very weak in China.

Jack Ma pays a living wage, but the schedule is crazy. Not every employer in China is that ruthless, but they don't pay a decent wage.

China is a dystopia is every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment