Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times

Advertisements

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 04:23 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Success is 90% hard work and 10% brain power. Congrats on your success, I hope you continue enjoying the job, area and many friends...WOW just read that last part of you being 52, but looking 38. That certainly didn't hurt you....
Yes, while 52 is not 25, it's not ancient either. However, I know of some folks in their late 40s and up to mid-50s who look like they've been through hell and they look older than they are, and very much older than me. I have always exercised, and ate well and generally take care of my physical appearance. People are shocked and stunned, to my embarrassment, when they learn my age. They all speculate I'm at least 10 years younger and demand I prove it.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 PM

338 posts, read 617,050 times
A MAJOR accomplishment for Anyone over 45! Best wishes for your new life! It's GOOD to see Good News! Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM

494 posts, read 285,848 times
Congratulations! Not easy getting a good job in California! Enjoy!!!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:20 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
You have discovered the key to success: diligence, talent and an exemplary work ethic. Also, you took it in stride and didn’t seem desperate as if the the job were a natural fit. I hope you have a successful career there and advance in skills and performance. They probably have an excellent retirement package, also. Congratulations.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Thank you to each and every one of you for your positive and wonderful support! To answer one question, I'm 52 (but I totally look 38-ish ), and the position I have been offered is one that I have been doing since the other lady went on maternity leave. When she came back, they gave her some other projects while they slowly shifted her stuff onto me. My contract kept getting extended with the verbal acknowledgment in late January that they hoped to hire me permanently. Now that the other lady transferred to another department, I was the perfect candidate to be hired, but for legal reasons, they needed to post the job and I had to interview for it.

So yes, not only did I work hard in this role for nearly 16 months, but I also fit into the culture of the department very well, and they really like me and the skills I bring. I'm lucky and proud of myself for being able to hang in there and prove that I was the best person to be hired into this company. Not all long-term contractors are hired here; once their assignment ends, they have to interview for the next one.

Thanks again!
It’s been a great situation for you - a way to evaluate the company’s culture and vice versa prior to hire. When you are a “fit” it makes the hiring much smoother. Congratulations.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I've never understood people who feel that older people have a tougher time finding work than younger folks. I am almost 74, and I could walk into 4 places tomorrow and walk out with a job. I have experience and confidence in my abilities, and honestly believe any employer would benefit from those qualities. How old is the President of this country ?

People who do not think that way are shooting themselves in the foot. They are not some young kid who has a lot to learn, they already have crossed that bridge. They bring years of experience and learning to the table and simply have to convey that to any potential employer. Instead of seeing yourself as "old", start thinking of yourself as " having skills and education that only years can bring".

Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've never understood people who feel that older people have a tougher time finding work than younger folks. I am almost 74, and I could walk into 4 places tomorrow and walk out with a job. I have experience and confidence in my abilities, and honestly believe any employer would benefit from those qualities. How old is the President of this country ?

People who do not think that way are shooting themselves in the foot. They are not some young kid who has a lot to learn, they already have crossed that bridge. They bring years of experience and learning to the table and simply have to convey that to any potential employer. Instead of seeing yourself as "old", start thinking of yourself as " having skills and education that only years can bring".
If you don’t mind, please share your skills and what kind of job you’d walk in to apply for and walk out accepting it.

I haven’t had a corporate-level job in over 20 years where the decision was made on the spot, and where multiple layers of management and HR weren’t involved. One senior level position required nearly a dozen interviews over 2-1/2 months. A lot of opportunity for bias of any kind to creep in.

Now if you’re talking about working at McDonald’s or Walmart, or something else paying near minimum wage I agree that you can walk in and walk out with a job if they have an immediate opening.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you don’t mind, please share your skills and what kind of job you’d walk in to apply for and walk out accepting it.

I haven’t had a corporate-level job in over 20 years where the decision was made on the spot, and where multiple layers of management and HR weren’t involved. One senior level position required nearly a dozen interviews over 2-1/2 months. A lot of opportunity for bias of any kind to creep in.

Now if you’re talking about working at McDonald’s or Walmart, or something else paying near minimum wage I agree that you can walk in and walk out with a job if they have an immediate opening.
Exactly. I only have just under 10 years experience and it was like 6 interviews over almost 3 months.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,820 times
Congrats! It is especially good to hear about a contract job working out for someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment