U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM

108 posts, read 38,304 times

Advertisements

I am a sensitive person. Now that I realize I wonít be able to find a decent job I am scared of returning to a job where I will be or feel mistreated by customers, management, and coworkers. Iím an easy target because I donít often stand up for myself. I am wondering if others have felt similar apprehension before and how theíve dealt with it. Iíve gotten call backs from Walmart but I have a feeling working there might break me. Maybe I will come out more resilient. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,359,091 times
Psychiatric counseling is what you need.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:17 PM

17,274 posts, read 10,200,031 times
Help us match you to the right counselor.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:21 PM

60 posts, read 22,517 times
All that you can do is get over the fear of getting mistreated because it WILL happen. One of the best skills that you can learn is to detach yourself emotionally from work.

Another method that you should try is to be as considerate as possible and always think before you act; so you can greatly reduce the chances of people getting upset at you. Therefore, if somebody does get upset at you then at least you knew that you tried everything in their power to do the right thing so you wouldn't feel guilty about anything.

- If their anger seems to be coming from a rational place then take it as a learning experience and constructive feedback to grow (tough love). Never take it personal b/c they may not actually even be lashing out at you but maybe at an unorganized store location or a long line that is out of your control; or maybe they had a rough day and just need to vent. It's never okay to be mean but try to put yourself in their shoes. Calmly explain to them (in your own words) how you will try everything in your power to improve whatever the issue is.

- If their anger is coming from what you believe to be an irrational place then try to pull them aside and calmly express your feelings. If you can email them then consider this too. Attempt to understand where they're coming from. Luckily, most people are pretty reasonable when all is said and done. Maybe there's just a big misunderstanding.

- If they're being verbally abusive then first pull them aside and talk about it like adults (unless it's really severe where you should seek help immediately). If it persists a 2nd time then you need to alert management or HR immediately.

BTW- Walmart is notorious for being one of the worst workplaces out there. I used to work there and I was treated poorly pretty often. Ask anybody who works for Walmart and I guarantee that 9/10 will say the same thing. I've worked at a lot of retail and service type places and these are the worst. Try to improve your skill set as much as you can so that you can find work within a better type of industry.

To increase your odds of working around respectful people then try to work around educated people in white-collar office settings at large companies (these are usually the least-abrasive types of people); and usually these places have strong office policies and good work cultures where people rarely shout or act crazy. However, no workplace is 100% safe.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 04-23-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 01:58 PM

5,029 posts, read 3,216,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I am a sensitive person. Now that I realize I wonít be able to find a decent job I am scared of returning to a job where I will be or feel mistreated by customers, management, and coworkers. Iím an easy target because I donít often stand up for myself. I am wondering if others have felt similar apprehension before and how theíve dealt with it. Iíve gotten call backs from Walmart but I have a feeling working there might break me. Maybe I will come out more resilient. Who knows.
I can fully assure you that you'll be treated miserably in retail, it doesn't matter if it's the local liquor/condom/chips and dip shop or Macy's. The customers will demand perfect service and ream you out if they feel you're not fulfilling THEIR expectations....I'd go with a manufacturing....

Old 04-25-2019, 02:15 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Psychiatric counseling is what you need.
I have to second this.

You've convinced yourself that you won't ever get a good job. Also, you lack the emotional wherewithal to stand basic everyday work interactions.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 10 days ago)

9,517 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I work from home so no longer deal with co-worker drama. I would recommend starting a career where you can work from home. Wal Mart does not have a good track record of how they treat their workers.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 PM

1,834 posts, read 740,978 times
I agree with the person who said you WILL be mistreated in retail. Most are nice, but even that 1-2 angry customer will ruin anyone's day. Try for a job with minimal contact with the public? An office job doing A/P or A/R? It's fully trainable.

Management and co-workers. Unfortunately, if you want to earn money, you cannot escape them. Ever. You WILL be judged. Your boss WILL tell you what you're doing wrong. Your co-workers WILL walk over you. Maybe see how long you can tolerate a place before you change jobs? I don't know. Or give yourself pep talks like, "It's not personal." Being judged (they call it evaluation in employment vocabulary) is part of having a job. But you have to keep working and don't quit and hide at home. Keep facing your fears and little by little, you'll be able to tolerate a working environment more (maybe never be fully comfortable, but at least better) or get used to (sort of) what people say to you.

Or if you are lucky enough, find a small company in which the people actually have feelings and a conscience who will treat you nicely. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:27 PM

2,067 posts, read 599,290 times
I have some unfortunate news for you.

You will be mistreated in some way, shape or form at all levels including when you are an entrepreneur and "your own boss".

Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I work from home so no longer deal with co-worker drama. I would recommend starting a career where you can work from home. Wal Mart does not have a good track record of how they treat their workers.
Sure, but I'm sure you've had unpleasant interactions with your boss or your client/customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment