U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,835 posts, read 54,521,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
B/c when I apply for a job that wants 10-15 years experience and some 27 year old gets it, what am I to think? Employers say they want this or that, but really they want to hire the person who will cost them the least.

@ 15 years experience, I am not going to accept the same salary a 27 year old likely would.
How would you know that a 27 year-old got it? Did they call and say sorry, but we decided to go with a 27 year-old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM

3,794 posts, read 1,384,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well....if you are claiming years of experience, certifications, advanced degrees from continuing education received during previous positions don't you think they'll count on their fingers and figure it out? You could still feel the brush of age discrimination from all those previous positions listed in your cv anyway, right?
Exactly.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
it's easy to figure it out on LinkedIn (but this only works if the candidate has actually updated their profile).

Go into the co page. Click 'see employees @ **company name**' it will show you all the people who work there or who have worked there. Look for the person who job title matches what you applied for. Look @ their hire date.

That is how you figure it out. If they haven't updated their profile then you cannot possibly know unless like you said, you have insiders filling you in.

Stalkerish maybe. But I want to know who are getting the jobs I am passed up for so I can see what it is they have that I don't (do they have a masters, do they have some kind of certification, have they worked at better companies than I have etc etc)

The internet leads to finding out many many things
And this post right here is why I deleted my Linkedin profile

Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How would you know that a 27 year-old got it? Did they call and say sorry, but we decided to go with a 27 year-old?
He said that he went to the person's linkedin profile and noticed by the hire date the position was filled that he was trying to get. So I am assuming he guessed the person's age by looking at their linkedin photo.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:53 AM

52 posts, read 20,260 times
All I know is that I never thought twice about age discrimination until i was over 50. I hate feeling vulnerable and expendable which is exactly what is going on in my workplace. I love my work, which is in software development. However I am self taught and all the young whipper snappers make it extremely difficult to defend my value, even though my work speaks for itself. I do have a graduate education but not in software engineering. I have been here 10 years. I suppose I need to jump ship before I get too much older. I have never ever had an issue getting a job or being compensated for my expertise but I am definitely afraid that I will have little to no future prospects because I am older. I will focus on the positive if possible and try to reflect on what I can offer rather than expose my fears.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:08 PM

9,522 posts, read 13,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I explained it to you on the previous page.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM

9,522 posts, read 13,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
He said that he went to the person's linkedin profile and noticed by the hire date the position was filled that he was trying to get. So I am assuming he guessed the person's age by looking at their linkedin photo.
yes they had their college grad date as well when they started their first job .. you can kind of guess.

Maybe he was 28. Maybe 26. maybe 29. ROUGHLY in his mid-late 20's. It's not hard to figure out how old someone is by their resume/profile.

Also, good-looking and a male. That never hurts either.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-25-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 PM

8,662 posts, read 3,067,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Many jobs also require background checks--at least in the self-employed contractor world. My most recent background check required my degree transcripts. It's on there.
BG checks typically aren't done except on a candidate already selected for hire.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:28 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,133,953 times
Quote:
Yeah b/c I can see the postings on the company website and I applied directly to the listing on the website and that is the same job the person got.

Yes it has to do with money most likely. My background is pretty solid. I'm not the BEST person out there but when a much younger gets the job, you have to suspect it's due to age (aka money).
Cost discrimination is not the same as age discrimination. If the market bid is lower than your ask is, then you're the one who is out of touch with the market. Therefore, lower your ask, and magically "age discrimination" will disappear.

Last edited by tolovefromANFIELD; 04-25-2019 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Ask vs. bid

Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM

1,838 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
yes they had their college grad date as well when they started their first job .. you can kind of guess.

Maybe he was 28. Maybe 26. maybe 29. ROUGHLY in his mid-late 20's. It's not hard to figure out how old someone is by their resume/profile.

Also, good-looking and a male. That never hurts either.
He and your a she, I would lean more to sexism then ageism given you are only in your late 30's and the job was looking for someone with at least 10 years experience. Is this a one time thing or is there a pattern? Did you interview for the job or just not get called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or