U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 AM

1,757 posts, read 1,015,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Age discrimination in your 30's? I don't think that's the issue.
It can be an issue in some industries, however it's not illegal discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,066,958 times
I removed out-also in 30s. Now obviously if they ask, I'll give tell them truth, but otherwise I leave the date off. Whether age discrimination is happening or not happening at company "x", I'd rather not take the chance.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:26 AM

1,195 posts, read 471,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Late 30's. Starting to experience age discrimination.

Should I remove my college graduation year from my resume & let them figure it out?

I have 15 years experience so I am not sure what difference it will make anyway. Sure they will know I am not 22 if I have been working for 15 years.

How does one handle this?
Chiming in late.

Yes, remove the dates, IMO.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:35 AM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
I interviewed and was not offered the job.

Yes, I suspect being a male had something to do with it as well.

Companies are not going to hire a female of child-bearing age over a younger male or even any male for that matter. I know it happens, I don't live under a rock.

Age discrimination / sexism, IDK what it is but it's very real. I know it is not me. I have gotten to 2nd/3rd round interviews so I know co's like me what it comes down to is saving money, perhaps keeping the workforce young, OR keeping people who will not leave to go have a baby.

(Meanwhile, I am not having kids).
Curious. What salary are you seeking? What's on your resume?

For some reason, everyone thinks they are the best candidate going. That's not always true.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:16 AM

2,419 posts, read 689,094 times
Quote:
Late 30's. Starting to experience age discrimination.

Should I remove my college graduation year from my resume & let them figure it out?
Yes.

In addition, remove any experience from 10 years ago.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:14 AM

19 posts, read 3,263 times
Yes, remove it. Unless you are a new graduate, there is no need for dates of graduation/completion.

Also, I would say it is experience more than your age that can be a deterrent. Some candidates can be seen as too expensive. Why hire someone with 3 years senior management experience who will want more money than someone who is just now getting promoted into that position and will take less? But, you want to work for the company that can afford to pay the best candidates not the one that needs to scrimp.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 330 times
Honestly, I don't think it's a great idea. After all, your student life is the irreplaceable part of you. As you said, you've got 15-year work experience and the graduation year weighs less than you imagine. So it's ok to list your school's name as well as the year you graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or