Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 05:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

Everything you say can and will be used against you. Leave it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
All they have to do is spend five seconds and look someone up online if they want to find out a person's exact age. Will they? Who knows. I'd probably just leave it on.
^^^ This. In the Internet Age you can't hide your real age. If a prospective employer wants to know your age, they will easily find out.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 PM

13 posts, read 8,051 times
Leave it on there. I'll say this gently because I'm also being discriminated against because of my age but I'm 56. Your moniker gives you away.....you're not a little boy..? Seriously? You are just hitting your prime.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Serious response: Sorry to hear it. It's a PITA and a crime.

First response: Oh, you poor, poor widdle kid.

I don't think it hurts to polish a resume to reduce the time markers, but in the end, even a dumb recruiter can do simple math. And if you're really seeing age bias in your field at such a young age, it's only going to get worse - keep that in mind when seeking to change jobs in the future.

I am around double the age of most candidates in my field and I have stripped my resume to its last pasties and g-string, but only by leaving off educational dates and eliminating some early experience that would be very valuable for certain positions.

There is no good answer. But removing dates and telescoping eras a little to keep your exact age and so forth out of the spotlight is both kosher and useful. Just don't outright lie about anything. Make them dig/ask/ignore.

If the preliminary screening process is done by a bot--------

Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the preliminary screening process is done by a bot--------
Which is almost always is these days, even for fairly small companies, since it's become common to hire out those basic recruitment steps to ensure compliance with diversity regs, etc.

I have frequently applied to smaller local companies and had the submission go through ADP or one of the other digital hiring fronts. I suspect my apps get blocked at the earliest meta-screening levels.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:14 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
What makes you think it's age discrimination?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
I am in the same age category as the OP and don't plan to remove anything.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
What makes you think it's age discrimination?
That's what I wanted to know lol

Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Take it off, no need to be there if you have a solid work history.

Joe from Dayton got it right.
Big need. Most companies do not hire people with out a degree. Just put the name of the college, your degree and major, honors if any. Graduation date? Leave it off.

With employment, as others have suggested, nothing older than ten years.

Actually, I think you are at that sweet spot in terms of age. Not just out of school, and no impending health problems.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Late 30's. Starting to experience age discrimination.

Should I remove my college graduation year from my resume & let them figure it out?

I have 15 years experience … so I am not sure what difference it will make anyway. Sure they will know I am not 22 if I have been working for 15 years.

How does one handle this?
People work for 10 years and go get a college degree. Don't put the graduation year on there it is meaningless. It will only confuse people in HR who pay attention to that sort of thing and make assumptions, and we all know HR isn't that swift to begin with. So don't make it more complicated than needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment