Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
All they have to do is spend five seconds and look someone up online if they want to find out a person's exact age. Will they? Who knows. I'd probably just leave it on.
They don't spend any time evening doing this. They look for skills that are current. The problem I find, I work in IT, is that some people have not updated their skills in 10 years and when they don't get the job think it is their age. Even online applications many of them aren't asking the year you got a degree, so take that as an indication they don't care about that data point because it doesn't tell them anything. Many people get an MBA after work for a number of years and might be 40. So showing they finished an MBA 2 years ago doesn't make a calculation that they are in their 20s.

In 2019, putting your year of graduation on a resume just makes it look like you aren't a modern job seeker, so leave it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
They don't spend any time evening doing this. They look for skills that are current. The problem I find, I work in IT, is that some people have not updated their skills in 10 years and when they don't get the job think it is their age. Even online applications many of them aren't asking the year you got a degree, so take that as an indication they don't care about that data point because it doesn't tell them anything. Many people get an MBA after work for a number of years and might be 40. So showing they finished an MBA 2 years ago doesn't make a calculation that they are in their 20s.

In 2019, putting your year of graduation on a resume just makes it look like you aren't a modern job seeker, so leave it off.
Since when is someone who is in their 30's seeking employment face age discrimination?

Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Well....if you are claiming years of experience, certifications, advanced degrees from continuing education received during previous positions don't you think they'll count on their fingers and figure it out? You could still feel the brush of age discrimination from all those previous positions listed in your cv anyway, right?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No hard and fast rule, but a common opinion is that fresh grads should leave it on, and people with 10+ years of experience should leave it off. I don't list the dates for any of my degrees. As you said, it is not hard to figure approximate ages from a work history and, on the flip side, some people aren't graduating from college until well into adulthood. I don't mind someone knowing my age but, at this point in my career, my degrees check a box.
Exactly. I didn’t finish my undergrad until my mid-30’s and complete my MBA until after 40. On a formal job application I would list the dates for a background check but on my resume they stay off.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I would remove it.

I graduated in 2010. I had four years of similar, low paying work after college. I just ball those up into "various help desk contracts." Stuff like that can shorten an otherwise lengthy resume and obscure some things you might not want to be obvious.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I don't think I've ever had a date associated with my degrees on my resume. I'd offer it if it was asked on forms, etc.
And honestly, I've never paid attention to the dates if provided by applicants.

In essence, I don't see a need for it - period. Nothing to do with age discrimination, etc. Just not really necessary.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
I would take it off. It's not like your hiding something. You're just not including it on there. If it comes up in an interview of course let them know. But I'd leave it off.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM

606 posts, read 730,420 times
I never went to college and yet always managed to land good paying jobs in my career field.

If you think you're being age discriminated at '30 something', just wait another 20 years and you'll KNOW its happening.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softpaws View Post
Leave it on there. I'll say this gently because I'm also being discriminated against because of my age but I'm 56. Your moniker gives you away.....you're not a little boy..? Seriously? You are just hitting your prime.
Oh. haha that is an old joke me and other poster have on here.

The even funnier thing is, I'm a female

Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
What makes you think it's age discrimination?
B/c when I apply for a job that wants 10-15 years experience and some 27 year old gets it, what am I to think? Employers say they want this or that, but really they want to hire the person who will cost them the least.

@ 15 years experience, I am not going to accept the same salary a 27 year old likely would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment