U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I worked in a tech company like this during the dot-com bubble. Free snacks and lunches, flexible hours, relaxed dress code, but you'd better not leave the office at 5:00 even if your work was done. And yes, almost everyone who worked there was 30 or under. I was in my late 30s and felt like a fossil. Company didn't survive once the bubble burst.
Engineering company in a college town; half the staff still lived in their grad apartment, wore the U sweatshirt, had a 3-minute commute by bicycle and hardly ever seemed to leave since nothing cool was happening until around 9 pm anyway.

It was no place for a family man who lived 45 minutes away, as we both eventually found out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 04:42 PM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Have you ever worked for or observed an organization where management and the staff seem to boast about how overwhelmed they are? They joke about how little time off they take, or how many hours they put in, or even poke at how stressed they are while seeming happy about it. It's like, "Haha, our work lives are stressful and overwhelming and we embrace this as opposed to doing anything to help fix it!".

It's almost like these people get off on how overworked they are. What are your thoughts about groups like this?

Is it sadistic? A sense of pride that certain personality types get? Is it a camaraderie thing, as in uniting over this common bond?
Many know exactly what's going on and many more have no idea how their chances at promotion beyond the ranks working all these hours get exponentially slimmer with each step up.

Some people in certain industries have a camaraderie bond - telephone company, linemen, junior finance analysts, resident medical doctors. I honesty believe that's what keeps them going.

But if you work for a small firm with a vague mission and no real clear purpose apparent to the lowest of ranks, turnover will wash away any bond from "shared suffering" that may otherwise develop.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:29 AM

2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
Those companies are run by Sociopaths.

Read about the "Gervais Principle"

https://www.ribbonfarm.com/the-gervais-principle/

Unpaid overtime = corporate welfare.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:55 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,253,994 times
My company's corporate location has this mentality and it's strange to watch since they don't actually do any manufacturing, R&D, or anything particularly time-sensitive there. They do a lot of 'busy-work' type of activities rather than focusing on what matters. They will sit there and brag about working 75 or 80 hours a week. It is not company wide since none of the other locations have this mentality; not sure if it is just where corporate is located (NYC area) or just the group of people at corporate.

My location (near Erie, not in Erie) does manufacturing, R&D, product development and logistics. There are sometimes long days but it is not common and it is seen as strange if someone spends a lot of time (over 50 hours a week) at work on a regular basis. It is nearly unheard of to work holidays and employees will work overtime all week to meet orders so they can have holidays off. Corporate is always surprised when they visit to find out that we don't work much over 45-50 hours a week but we don't do a lot of 'busy work' and generally just focus on what needs to be done. In a factory environment it is faster paced in all departments and there isn't time for the extra work so you can appear to be busy all of the time

The other manufacturing locations (mostly in the Midwest) are about the same and also like to get the work done and leave. There are a couple out West and they are even more focused on getting done and getting out; I would say that the Arizona and Colorado locations are the two most interested in having a good work-life balance. Corporate complains all of the time about the 'lazy' Arizona and Colorado plants--and even the 'lazy' Erie plant but all the work gets done so no need to stay there 12 hours.

I think that companies which encourage or expect employees to be overwhelmed or spend 10+ hour shifts at work have a dysfunctional culture and do not value their employees. It is disrespectful to expect employees to spend almost all of their lives at work. People who find themselves at these types of companies should run away...

Old 04-27-2019, 04:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 2,120,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My company's corporate location has this mentality and it's strange to watch since they don't actually do any manufacturing, R&D, or anything particularly time-sensitive there. They do a lot of 'busy-work' type of activities rather than focusing on what matters. They will sit there and brag about working 75 or 80 hours a week. It is not company wide since none of the other locations have this mentality; not sure if it is just where corporate is located (NYC area) or just the group of people at corporate.

My location (near Erie, not in Erie) does manufacturing, R&D, product development and logistics. There are sometimes long days but it is not common and it is seen as strange if someone spends a lot of time (over 50 hours a week) at work on a regular basis. It is nearly unheard of to work holidays and employees will work overtime all week to meet orders so they can have holidays off. Corporate is always surprised when they visit to find out that we don't work much over 45-50 hours a week but we don't do a lot of 'busy work' and generally just focus on what needs to be done. In a factory environment it is faster paced in all departments and there isn't time for the extra work so you can appear to be busy all of the time

The other manufacturing locations (mostly in the Midwest) are about the same and also like to get the work done and leave. There are a couple out West and they are even more focused on getting done and getting out; I would say that the Arizona and Colorado locations are the two most interested in having a good work-life balance. Corporate complains all of the time about the 'lazy' Arizona and Colorado plants--and even the 'lazy' Erie plant but all the work gets done so no need to stay there 12 hours.

I think that companies which encourage or expect employees to be overwhelmed or spend 10+ hour shifts at work have a dysfunctional culture and do not value their employees. It is disrespectful to expect employees to spend almost all of their lives at work. People who find themselves at these types of companies should run away...

Very true. Sad thing is, most companies operate like this now. They are filled with mis-management and inefficiencies. Most places have a revolving door of employees or employees looking to leave with extremely low morale. Horrible management that doesn't get replaced until they have no choice but to get rid of them. And generally the new ones they bring in aren't much better. Employers are all about doing the most with least and short-sighted short term game with focus only on the current quarter. No one looks years ahead now. Or building up a workforce. Just "How is the stock doing/quartely earnings doing this quarter".

I would say in the 10 plus years Ive been working, 85 percent of that time has been filled with horrible mismanagement and Severe understaffing. Theres never enough people to keep an efficient operation going.

Sadly, I don't ever see it changing in my lifetime unfortunately. We are a divided country and will gladly look the other way forever while politicians/corporate leaders run everything into the DIRT

Old 04-29-2019, 07:40 PM

13,928 posts, read 19,142,988 times
I work for a company like this. The end result is that people stop caring and the business as a whole suffers.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 AM

1,893 posts, read 801,717 times
Its when peoples job is their identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or