Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times

Advertisements

There was a job I had not that long ago, I always volunteered to work the holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I would say it was so other people with families could have that day off. Also, If someone didn't show up to cover their shift, I would sometimes stay so that the other person already working didn't have to. Same reason, more convenient for me, I had no one to answer to. I sometimes used "I have to work" as an excuse to get out of family functions that involved hours of travel. Whether I had to work, or if I just then volunteered to work because now I have no plans.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the extra income, holidays were triple pay in government, and in corporate I had a leader who waived $50 bills around asking who was "going into OT tonight?" I also didn't really want to have a life! I didn't know how, and I didn't have the positive rewards pictured that went along with not having to work all of the time. I had been gratefully out of a long relationship, and my daughter was away living in a dorm. It's so much easier to complain about having to work all.of.the.time. than it is to meet people, find out what one is really interested in, and start all over!

I now don't work every waking moment, I only do a few hours of OT for the money, not 20 or 30. This is how I realized that I "always had so much work", and lived to work, is when the offers came up and I had other things I wanted to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
I think it's a 20-something thing - first real job, unbelievable money pouring it, all still new, can still go party at ten o'clock, etc.

Then you grow up and find out it's really not all that much fun, and that there are better ways to expend your lifeforce.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
At some point, you get this Stockholm syndrome thing going on, where everyone is kind of commiserating and trying to one-up each other on the horrible life scale.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I think it's a 20-something thing - first real job, unbelievable money pouring it, all still new, can still go party at ten o'clock, etc.

Then you grow up and find out it's really not all that much fun, and that there are better ways to expend your lifeforce.
Sometimes it's not even unbelievable money when you take into account COL and student loans.

But I will say that some of those companies may stand out on a resume down the road when you eventually get burnt out and quit 2-3 years down the road. It's almost just about saying you had the experience of working at XYZ Corp, and other hiring managers will be impressed by that.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Have you ever worked for or observed an organization where management and the staff seem to boast about how overwhelmed they are? They joke about how little time off they take, or how many hours they put in, or even poke at how stressed they are while seeming happy about it. It's like, "Haha, our work lives are stressful and overwhelming and we embrace this as opposed to doing anything to help fix it!".

It's almost like these people get off on how overworked they are. What are your thoughts about groups like this?

Is it sadistic? A sense of pride that certain personality types get? Is it a camaraderie thing, as in uniting over this common bond?
Being stressed is actually better than being bored to tears. Boredom is really depressing. Comfort is boring. That's how I feel at work sometimes. The days when I'm stressed out are far better than the days when I have nothing to do and am bored to tears.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:09 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I guess it can show dedication but to have employees that are burnt out isn't good.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 PM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Being stressed is actually better than being bored to tears. Boredom is really depressing. Comfort is boring. That's how I feel at work sometimes. The days when I'm stressed out are far better than the days when I have nothing to do and am bored to tears.
A little bit of stress here and there is fine. I'm mostly referring to the "We live to work here, and we'll expect that you'll work around the clock for us. We'll even throw in some cool perks that will make it seem like a good deal for you". The ones who joke about how little time they take off, or brag about not remembering the last time they ate lunch. That sort of thing.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:31 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
I worked from 84-95 at an insurance company that was in turmoil. Overwork and stress were the daily norm for most people there. Parent company and higher management kept us in crisis the entire time I was there. Many old timers said it had been a good place to work before the mergers and reorganizations began. In 11 years there, I had scarcely a month altogether when I could spend a day doing productive work instead of crisis control. Times we worked Saturdays were relatively good too, not having to take phone calls.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I used to work at one of those places with a punishing workload. People took pride in being the best (debatable), working harder than the competition (nope, I knew people at the competition) and giving their all for the company (never did understand that).

I worked there for a few years and got out. Never drank the koolaid. Not worth it.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Have you ever worked for or observed an organization where management and the staff seem to boast about how overwhelmed they are? They joke about how little time off they take, or how many hours they put in, or even poke at how stressed they are while seeming happy about it. It's like, "Haha, our work lives are stressful and overwhelming and we embrace this as opposed to doing anything to help fix it!".

It's almost like these people get off on how overworked they are. What are your thoughts about groups like this?

Is it sadistic? A sense of pride that certain personality types get? Is it a camaraderie thing, as in uniting over this common bond?
Previous company I worked for boasted about it being part of their culture, and were totally proud of it. It's not cool wondering what became of certain employees and finding out they died inside of some hotel room months ago. We were nothing but indentured servants to the higher-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment