U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 AM

5,666 posts, read 5,954,001 times

Advertisements

Nope, still pursuing the Hollywood path. I took a detour briefly focusing mainly on my company (corporate video work) and I stepped aside last year from the day to day tasks and now focus most of my time on screenwriting. I donít want a ďwork / life balanceĒ as my life and dreams are film, so whatever it takes as far as Iím concerned. Itís not work if you love it. That aside, I screw around a lot when Iím writing because itís the only way to get anything done ironically. I never come up with new ideas when Iím trying to do that, only when Iím wasting my time on Wikipedia, news articles, surfing the net, etc. Whatever else I do as a hobby makes its way into film in some way so there really isnít any ďnon-workĒ in that sense as itís a line thatís hard to determine. If I was always writing, Iíd have nothing to write about. If I was never writing, Iíd never have any finished work. But Iím not bothered to say my career is the laser focus of my life. The rest is the trappings of life, nice things I enjoy and my awesome supporting fiancť, but we both want career success and no price is too high to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM

11,189 posts, read 8,579,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I did years ago. The Business Administration degree is a joke. I wanted to move to Atlanta or DC back in the early '90's and get a high profile job. Was willing to work my way up the ladder, but most companies wanted to put me in the mail room, or even in their receiving departments. Got so upset. I knew I didn't need a degree to work in the mail room or a shipping/receiving department. I stopped reaching for the stars, and decided to reach for the paycheck.
I have a Business Administration degree. I'm doing okay.

Mail room? Receiving? Did you know that there is a career path in Supply Chain that pays well? So, those jobs could have been your foot in the door had you had some vision.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:52 PM

664 posts, read 585,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I have a Business Administration degree. I'm doing okay.

Mail room? Receiving? Did you know that there is a career path in Supply Chain that pays well? So, those jobs could have been your foot in the door had you had some vision.
Interesting that you said that. Supply Chain management is the field I'm in today. Didn't start off well for me, but it got better with time!

Old Today, 02:35 PM

47 posts, read 37,575 times
Quote:
I did years ago. The Business Administration degree is a joke. I wanted to move to Atlanta or DC back in the early '90's and get a high profile job. Was willing to work my way up the ladder, but most companies wanted to put me in the mail room, or even in their receiving departments. Got so upset. I knew I didn't need a degree to work in the mail room or a shipping/receiving department. I stopped reaching for the stars, and decided to reach for the paycheck.
I knew a guy who worked in the mail room at AOL in the early 90s, even though he was an expert in computers and IT. He cashed out his $3 million worth of stock in the late 90s and drove his brand new Porsche cross country from DC to a brand new life in CA.

Old Today, 06:47 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,503,181 times
Quote:
most companies wanted to put me in the mail room, or even in their receiving departments. Got so upset.
Do you know why?
Do they have any rationale for this behavior, or is it just that they want to humiliate all new guys?
Is it an East Coast thing, or a large corporation thing?

Old Today, 06:53 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,136,940 times
Most ' high flying careers" are obtained solely via connections. More precisely high level connections. If you aren't connected, its still difficult to obtain one. Even if you have the qualifications. At least in the corporate world..

And generally connections are more based on LUCK than anything else. Right place right time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or