U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:15 PM

1,404 posts, read 595,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do you have any idea how much it costs a 60 year old to buy health insurance? If we changed things to allow a buy in to Medicare early or had otherwise tenable insurance options that idea would be great, but you can’t take away employer sponsored insurance without a replacement option people can afford. It would take probably 2 full 40 hour weeks at $12 an hour to pay for a 60 year old to pay an insurance monthly premium on the open market.
I hear you. So it's silly to complain about a regulation-induced environment for older workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 06:53 PM

20,623 posts, read 16,666,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I hear you. So it's silly to complain about a regulation-induced environment for older workers.
It’s not all regulation either. Part of it is simply preferring younger people. If a 28 year old guy who is manager of a McDonalds has a choice of a pretty 23 year old girl or me, a 57 year old woman, he’s likely to choose her simply for aesthetics. It’s not like the job requires all that much skill or experience. He will probably barely remember me after the interview.

It’s also false beliefs about older people held by younger people like the poster a couple pages ago who believed older people would be less patient with customers. Many managers may also think they’ll be too slow, and they will be slower than a younger person. They may think they’ll be slower to catch onto and use new technology, which is increasing in workplaces.

That’s a valid point too. As a therapist I work in some buildings that require we do documentation on iPads while we are with the patient. The kids run rings around me in this area, it takes me forever to type in an iPad. I bought a Bluetooth keyboard helped greatly, but again the youngsters type a mile a minute cause they grew up doing it.

So no, I do not think deregulating corporate America and taking away benefits is going to result in a spate of older workers being hired. I don’t think leaving older people without health insurance is the answer to anything.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-29-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 PM

6,982 posts, read 3,879,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd rather see them hire more homeless people off the streets. In Las Vegas, just to work at McDonald's a homeless person must get a health card first from Clark County, to the tune of $350. And how many have served their prison sentences and won't hired as a result of it.
Not even close.

This from the Southern Nevada Health District website:
"The total cost of a Food Handler Safety Training card is $20. An additional $15 is charged to renew an expired card. The card is valid for three years."

Old 04-30-2019, 05:34 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Not even close.

This from the Southern Nevada Health District website:
"The total cost of a Food Handler Safety Training card is $20. An additional $15 is charged to renew an expired card. The card is valid for three years."
really? don't you have to take an exam to get the card? Here in philly, yes the card is cheap ONCE you passed the exam which I believe has a 59 buck application and throw in another maybe 80 bucks for the study material or you can sign up for a class.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The reality is McDonald's wants workers who will show up at 5:00am and they can't find enough young people who are willing to work that shift so they are hoping old people are poor enough and dumb enough to accept the job.
actually they don't have to be poor or dumb. My brother is a retired franchise owner (had two) and he regularly employed seniors. basically he was able to offer them a very good prescription drug plan. He loved them, first they were mannerly, hard working individuals. He did not have to worry about them not showing up on a Friday or Saturday night. He did not have to worry about them showing up looking like pigs because they did not bother to clean their uniform or better yet, would show up for work without the entire uniform.

why would you automatically assume they were "poor". My dad retired very wealthy (NYC police penison and a military pension plus a huge payout from my mothers death) and worked at home depot. he loved it. he fancied himself an handy man, enjoyed talking with the contractors and was knowledgeable and great customer service.

Heck when he passed home depot sent a huge floral arrangement and thanks.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,769,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is not true on the slightest. Older people are respectful on the job and came up at s time when customer service was five star. They would likely be more patient and deferential to customers.
Huh! Speak for yourself.

There is no patient and no deferential when it comes to customers screaming at you, demanding you do something that you can't do, or wanting something you have no way to give them or demanding you change a policy you didn't set up and have no way to alter. Then there are the customers who trash the store, throw their garbage on the floor, lie or anything else it takes to get a free meal, accuse the cashier of stealing their money, and of course, the plain old crazies you have to order out of the restaurant.

Being patient and deferential with these people is simply not possible.

I get my b***hiness from working at 7-11.

A customer wants to break a $100 bill at 7am.
"Does it say bank on our store?"
"No."
"Good, then we agree on something!"

"Lady, do you know who I am?"
"Do you know who I am?"
"No."
"Then how are we supposed to know each other?" or the even better
"Attention, shoppers, will someone please claim the gentleman at my counter? We have a customer who doesn't know who he is!"

Asked politely
"Sir, would you mind throwing your trash in the garbage?"
"That's YOUR job!"
So when he came to pay, I walked away and threw his trash away. Came back and said, "Sorry for the wait. I was doing my job."

Yeah, somehow I don't think McDonald's would like me too much.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:29 PM

20,623 posts, read 16,666,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Huh! Speak for yourself.

There is no patient and no deferential when it comes to customers screaming at you, demanding you do something that you can't do, or wanting something you have no way to give them or demanding you change a policy you didn't set up and have no way to alter. Then there are the customers who trash the store, throw their garbage on the floor, lie or anything else it takes to get a free meal, accuse the cashier of stealing their money, and of course, the plain old crazies you have to order out of the restaurant.

Being patient and deferential with these people is simply not possible.

I get my b***hiness from working at 7-11.

A customer wants to break a $100 bill at 7am.
"Does it say bank on our store?"
"No."
"Good, then we agree on something!"

"Lady, do you know who I am?"
"Do you know who I am?"
"No."
"Then how are we supposed to know each other?" or the even better
"Attention, shoppers, will someone please claim the gentleman at my counter? We have a customer who doesn't know who he is!"

Asked politely
"Sir, would you mind throwing your trash in the garbage?"
"That's YOUR job!"
So when he came to pay, I walked away and threw his trash away. Came back and said, "Sorry for the wait. I was doing my job."

Yeah, somehow I don't think McDonald's would like me too much.

I'm guessing this was your personality always, not just now. I am really good at customer service and very patient, not likely to change (I'm 57 now). I would never be snotty to a customer. My brother on the other hand is exactly like you. However he was the same at 20, sarcastic and impatient. He did fine as an autom mechanic behind the scenes, but he could never have moved up to management, he'd have gotten fired the first day! It isn't about age.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)

9,621 posts, read 3,682,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The vast number of employees end up not qualifying for health insurance - usually through insufficient hours scheduled or insufficient tenure, both of which a warm-body shift-driven company like McD's can play like a violin..
Right. It's easy to convert almost every worker into "part time" to ensure they don't qualify for health insurance or other benefits. Businesses shouldn't complain that they are "forced" to provide health insurance for workers when many of them don't and can easily get around it.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:31 PM

6,982 posts, read 3,879,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
really? don't you have to take an exam to get the card? Here in philly, yes the card is cheap ONCE you passed the exam which I believe has a 59 buck application and throw in another maybe 80 bucks for the study material or you can sign up for a class.
No charge for the test, study material online for free. Philly does not set the benchmark for the rest of the world.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 AM

5,639 posts, read 5,932,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd rather see them hire more homeless people off the streets. In Las Vegas, just to work at McDonald's a homeless person must get a health card first from Clark County, to the tune of $350. And how many have served their prison sentences and won't hired as a result of it.
Vegas doesn’t want or need homeless people, they get bus tickets straight to SF of the moderate temperature West Coast city of their choice (like my hometown of Portland or even my best friends city of Eugene). Lots of great homes for them with tons of handouts in those cities! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment