U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2019, 11:07 AM
 
20,521 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Reputation: 38524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Vegas doesn’t want or need homeless people, they get bus tickets straight to SF of the moderate temperature West Coast city of their choice (like my hometown of Portland or even my best friends city of Eugene). Lots of great homes for them with tons of handouts in those cities! Lol
Southern Nevada is actually the smallest of all the metro areas that are in the top ten regarding number of homeless, and it leads the nation in homeless youth. You make it sound like people come there to be homeless, most already lived there. Per statistics, 86% of low income residents in Vegas pay over 50% of their income in rent, a sure recipe for homelessness.


Jun 15, 2018 (3BL Media via COMTEX) -- SOURCE:Las Vegas Sands
"On any given night, nearly 6,500 people are homeless in Southern Nevada, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Nevada ranks eighth in the nation for the rate of homeless persons - the smallest region among the metropolitan areas ranking in the top 10 for homelessness."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 PM
 
Location: USA
6,223 posts, read 5,353,584 times
Reputation: 10636
Jobs that don't pay living wages of course are going to have massive turnover and staffing issues. Pay properly and the workers will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM
 
2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Reputation: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I hear you. So it's silly to complain about a regulation-induced environment for older workers.
So you're saying people should not complain that they can't find jobs due to the fact they're older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 PM
 
2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Reputation: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Why is a 60yo employee any more expensive - in any regulated/legislated sense - than a 25yo?
Premiums for health insurance easily run 10K-20K a year for them. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) the "Cadillac tax" hits at 40% of premiums on top of that.

So employers are told by the ACA that they should not hire older workers because they'll be punished by higher taxes.

ACA = legalized age discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 AM
 
20,521 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Reputation: 38524
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Premiums for health insurance easily run 10K-20K a year for them. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) the "Cadillac tax" hits at 40% of premiums on top of that.

So employers are told by the ACA that they should not hire older workers because they'll be punished by higher taxes.

ACA = legalized age discrimination.
It has nothing to do with the ACA. Employers don’t want to pay for older people’s health insurance because the insurance companies charge more for older people. They charge more for older people before the ACA too. The ACA is actually the only chance many older people have to get insurance. My brother had to stop working at 62, he has three more years for Medicare. If it was not for the ACA he would not have insurance right now.

If the health care plan the White House wanted to pass two years ago went through, it would have it been even worse. That bill allowed insurers to charge even more to older people, instead of three times more it raised the threshold to five times more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Washington state
5,431 posts, read 2,756,099 times
Reputation: 16320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm guessing this was your personality always, not just now. I am really good at customer service and very patient, not likely to change (I'm 57 now). I would never be snotty to a customer. My brother on the other hand is exactly like you. However he was the same at 20, sarcastic and impatient. He did fine as an autom mechanic behind the scenes, but he could never have moved up to management, he'd have gotten fired the first day! It isn't about age.
Not really. I worked in two banks for a total of 16+ years and I never had a problem with how I addressed the customers. But I defy you to work at a minimum wage job and not start feeling like most customers are a PITA.

See, most people (including a lot on this forum) think minimum wage jobs are easy and the workers are trained monkeys, so the workers get treated like that. It's part of how America thinks people are defined by their jobs. I was called a b***h at least once per shift and usually oftener just for doing my job. Wait on those kinds of customers for a couple weeks. Then I guarantee you'll run out of f**ks to give and start being as smart mouth and snotty as anyone else who has to work with the public.

The only difference is, I didn't have to be nice to the customers once they started to swear and be aggressive. I could kick their butts out of the store and no one cared if they ever came back again. Unfortunately, most of them did, although they were a bit more civilized if we let them back in.

Don't get me wrong. We had tons of wonderful customers too. One of them gave me a Christmas card with a $100 bill in it. That was almost 30 years ago and I still have that card. I take it out every Christmas and set it up and hope that customer is doing well over the holidays.

The reason I'm saying it's related to age is because older people know they don't have to put up with the nonsense and idiocy that customers bring in the door anymore. If a customer is standing there and swearing at you for not doing something you aren't allowed to do and your manager won't step up and toss his butt out, and you don't need the job, then you're going to tell that customer off (and probably the manager too) and find another job. Older people know life's too short to put up with that crap.

Besides, holding it all in will just give you ulcers and who needs to start an ulcer at the age of 60 or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 AM
 
20,521 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Reputation: 38524
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Not really. I worked in two banks for a total of 16+ years and I never had a problem with how I addressed the customers. But I defy you to work at a minimum wage job and not start feeling like most customers are a PITA.

See, most people (including a lot on this forum) think minimum wage jobs are easy and the workers are trained monkeys, so the workers get treated like that. It's part of how America thinks people are defined by their jobs. I was called a b***h at least once per shift and usually oftener just for doing my job. Wait on those kinds of customers for a couple weeks. Then I guarantee you'll run out of f**ks to give and start being as smart mouth and snotty as anyone else who has to work with the public.

The only difference is, I didn't have to be nice to the customers once they started to swear and be aggressive. I could kick their butts out of the store and no one cared if they ever came back again. Unfortunately, most of them did, although they were a bit more civilized if we let them back in.

Don't get me wrong. We had tons of wonderful customers too. One of them gave me a Christmas card with a $100 bill in it. That was almost 30 years ago and I still have that card. I take it out every Christmas and set it up and hope that customer is doing well over the holidays.

The reason I'm saying it's related to age is because older people know they don't have to put up with the nonsense and idiocy that customers bring in the door anymore. If a customer is standing there and swearing at you for not doing something you aren't allowed to do and your manager won't step up and toss his butt out, and you don't need the job, then you're going to tell that customer off (and probably the manager too) and find another job. Older people know life's too short to put up with that crap.

Besides, holding it all in will just give you ulcers and who needs to start an ulcer at the age of 60 or so?
I think the opposite is true. That older worker who needs a job is going to be a much better worker, because it harder to get a job when you’re older. On the other hand a 17-year-old kid quit easily with no consequences because he most likely still lives at home with mom. I also don’t think that older people lose all the social training and manners they were brought up with just because they’re in the workforce and they’re older. I’ve worked plenty of customer service jobs, I know how people are treated. However I have my own standards that don’t depend on how other people treat me. I would not be disrespectful to a customer now and I will not when I’m 70.

What you’re talking about is someone who is working for fun who does not need a salary. That more often applies to kids then older Americans. Most older Americans that you see working are working because they need to. I want to we’re doing it because they simply enjoy it, are not going to take a job they don’t enjoy.

Anyone who doesn’t really need the money is not going to be that good of a worker. That is why when people win the lottery and say they’re going to continue at work, they are really not because their employer may not want them anymore. If you want to say people who don’t really need the salary are less patient with customers I might agree with you. But to say that older people are less patient with customers I disagree with completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,431 posts, read 2,756,099 times
Reputation: 16320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think the opposite is true. That older worker who needs a job is going to be a much better worker, because it harder to get a job when you’re older. On the other hand a 17-year-old kid quit easily with no consequences because he most likely still lives at home with mom. I also don’t think that older people lose all the social training and manners they were brought up with just because they’re in the workforce and they’re older. I’ve worked plenty of customer service jobs, I know how people are treated. However I have my own standards that don’t depend on how other people treat me. I would not be disrespectful to a customer now and I will not when I’m 70.

What you’re talking about is someone who is working for fun who does not need a salary. That more often applies to kids then older Americans. Most older Americans that you see working are working because they need to. I want to we’re doing it because they simply enjoy it, are not going to take a job they don’t enjoy.

Anyone who doesn’t really need the money is not going to be that good of a worker. That is why when people win the lottery and say they’re going to continue at work, they are really not because their employer may not want them anymore. If you want to say people who don’t really need the salary are less patient with customers I might agree with you. But to say that older people are less patient with customers I disagree with completely.
OK, I agree with most of that. But try reading notalwaysright.com and see how respectful you'd stay in some of those situations.

I'm off to get breakfast now, so have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Various
1,090 posts, read 388,072 times
Reputation: 942
I recently spent 1 month driving around the Mid West. I must admit that I stopped into a McDonalds on the Interstates more than a couple of times. My observation is that McDonalds are already employing an enormous number of older staff. In Australia its almost exclusively 14-19 year olds, but in any of the stores I dropped into, the vast majority were over 50's. In one store somewhere between Des Moines and Minneapolis, I could not see a single employee that looked below 50, in fact most looked well into their 60's.

Their service and friendliness was far better than I was used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,989 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Reputation: 22078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
A 60 year old has more medical needs and we have silly laws that require employers to provide health insurance to employees. Even worse, in most states, employers can't attach risk to the premiums or control who they provide health insurance to. Regulation throws actuarial science out the window.
Actuarial science? Geezus...if an employer sees fit to hire someone they should not be able to choose to not provide insurance to that person because of a pre-existing condition or some risk to the insurer. If they don't want to pay for their insurance then they can hire someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top