U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 AM

30,062 posts, read 47,297,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for them.

It's nice to see corporations being proactive in helping out a segment of the population that has been treated harshly and unfairly in the work force (age discrimination, etc.).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdon...173251645.html
Part time work
No benefits
And no hope of moving up
They are taking advantage of seniors who lack enough retirement resources to provide stable income

Maybe people will be glad to get the job and benefit from the time they put in
But don’t think McDonald’s is doing this out of the good of its corporate heart

McDonald’s stores are often placed in areas where people have good income
So many teens won’t take part time work or might fail the drug test that retain/fast food places are forced to go to seniors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 07:02 AM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Most homeless are nuts and/or drug addicts. I sure as heck don't want them handling food.
Wrong. Many of them just need a job. You would deny them one? Why? One of the problems in this country is all our contradictory messages and stigma (a big one being the one against mental illness) that prevent people from bettering themselves through their own efforts.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:27 AM

963 posts, read 1,522,593 times
I worked at McDonald's in the early 1990s. Most of us were in our teens or early 20s. We had a couple of older Filipino women who would clean tables, mop the floors, and occasionally work at the fry station. Today, the McDonald's where I live is mostly staffed by people in their teens and early 20s. This location about to install ordering kiosks, so I don't see them expanding their workforce for more seniors anytime soon.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:37 AM

1,172 posts, read 463,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Most homeless are nuts and/or drug addicts. I sure as heck don't want them handling food.
I couldn't find the post of the poster that advocated McD's hiring the homeless that you're quoting. It's gone.

That will not work for the vast majority of them because they are (at least where I live) fro 2 separate studies by two independent organizations:

65% addicted to drugs
X % to alcohol
X% mentally ill

A very small % that had bad luck and fell through the cracks.

The top 3 of this list are NOT employable anywhere.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:48 AM

4,551 posts, read 6,637,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Part time work
No benefits
And no hope of moving up
They are taking advantage of seniors who lack enough retirement resources to provide stable income

Maybe people will be glad to get the job and benefit from the time they put in
But don’t think McDonald’s is doing this out of the good of its corporate heart

McDonald’s stores are often placed in areas where people have good income
So many teens won’t take part time work or might fail the drug test that retain/fast food places are forced to go to seniors
I really don't think most seniors would be looking for full time work with benefits.

I don't think seniors are worried about moving up the corporate ladder at that stage in life haha

Offering jobs is not taking advantage of anyone. lol They are not forcing seniors to take the jobs, they are offering them and saying hey we will hire you.

I think many seniors would welcome a chance to be productive and get out of the house.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 AM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I've seen several articles on this in the last day or two in publications like USA Today and Fortune.

I worked at McDonald's in high school, in the mid-'70s. What made it bearable was the social angle: being surrounded by a bunch of other teenagers, with all the drama and intrigue that entailed. Otherwise, it was a pretty miserable job, at least for me. I still have the occasional recurring nightmare that I can't find a job anywhere else and have to go back and work there.

What sticks in my memory (aside from going home smelling like french fry grease) was how tired I was at the end of a shift after being on my feet for several hours. Not sure how that's going to fly for seniors.
My son worked for Burger King from age 14 to 20. If I recall right, they were one of the only ones hiring 14 year olds.

His clothes used to stink like grease. It was so gross. No amount of washing in hot water would get the grease out. We had to throw everything out. Work boots, pants. His car seat also had to be regularly cleaned with Mr Clean to get the grease smell out. He's 34, I can still smell the grease when I read your reply!

Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'm suspecting that back then you may have had a normal 8 hour shift. Now the only ones who have that are the managers...I'm betting the shifts now are 4-6 hours (I have seen many FF places showing 30 hours tops per week)
Why would this be a surprise? When you tell employers, "As soon as an employee crosses this line, they become much more expensive to you", why would you expect anything else to happen?

Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
The kiosks are terrible and it takes longer to place an order there than it takes to actually order.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 AM

6,250 posts, read 3,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
So after older workers lose their real jobs due to age discrimination, McDonald's says they only deserve Mcjobs.

Nice.

How is this different from the status quo?
What do you expect McDonald's to do - hire engineering and nursing jobs? They provide quick service food, so those are the jobs they offer. I'm not sure where the "says they only deserve Mcjobs" comes in.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:34 AM

2,387 posts, read 683,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What do you expect McDonald's to do - hire engineering and nursing jobs? They provide quick service food, so those are the jobs they offer. I'm not sure where the "says they only deserve Mcjobs" comes in.
What is the probability that after these older workers, after working in a restaurant, that they're making nice money at Mcdonald's Corporate?

Almost nonexistent.

A former IT worker flips hamburgers for how many years before he gets a chance to work IT in Mcdonald's Corporate? Not happening.

Mcjobs are dead end jobs that pay squat. The experience they get at the restaurants is not counted by employers seeking to hire for actual non-dead-end-jobs.

Again, this is not different from what the status quo is - Older people have to take Mcjobs after being unable to secure employment due to age discrimination. All they're doing is taking advantage of a desperate demographic to staff their restaurants.

You can pat Mcdonald's on their head for bragging, but I don't see this as brag worthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment