U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 PM

18,843 posts, read 7,328,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This is not true. I have had jobs that put me in direct contact with the 'street people'. The bulk of them do not want jobs. They are 'homeless' because they choose to be. They have no desire to accept the responsibilities of working to support themselves and maintaining a domicile, paying taxes, etc. Despite all of the assistance that is offered and available to them, they refuse to take advantage of it. Year after year they remain on the street and 'homeless', cadging meals from soup kitchens and freebies handed out by organizations such as the Pine Street Inn (Boston, MA)...which freebies they often simply discard or, worse, decorate the sidewalks, walls of buildings and interiors of bank vestibules/ATMs by throwing/smearing soup and sandwiches instead of eating them...and bumming money to buy booze and cigarettes.

They don't want to work, and they aren't going to work as long as they can keep getting what they want for free.
Sad, but correct.

I encounter beggars every day in NYC. Able bodied. And yes I never give them a penny. I am not going to assist them towards remaining as bums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 06:37 PM

8,585 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Maybe if a few of the more-juvenile posters refrained from citing scenes from Soylent Green or Fahrenheit 451, I'd take their spew a bit more seriously.
I was answering smug, willfully ignorant, classist spew.

Smirking at the difficulties of older workers getting jobs because McDs will give them part time shift work is somewhere between shockingly oblivious and pointlessly cruel.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 PM

5,676 posts, read 6,770,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The reality is McDonald's wants workers who will show up at 5:00am and they can't find enough young people who are willing to work that shift so they are hoping old people are poor enough and dumb enough to accept the job.
McD's has been courting both seniors and youngsters for at least nearly four decades that I am aware of. Thgis is nothing new. I know, because way back in 1982 both myself and my 18-year old GF worked at one...and we did the opening shift. Maybe youngsters are different now...but I doubt it. There are always those who are ambitious and will take any avenue that moves them forward, even McD's, and those who lack ambition and would rather settle for what is handed to them for minimal effort.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 391,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My son worked for Burger King from age 14 to 20. If I recall right, they were one of the only ones hiring 14 year olds.

His clothes used to stink like grease. It was so gross. No amount of washing in hot water would get the grease out. We had to throw everything out. Work boots, pants. His car seat also had to be regularly cleaned with Mr Clean to get the grease smell out. He's 34, I can still smell the grease when I read your reply!
. I worked at Arby’s years ago and it’s the same thing. As soon as I’d come home everything was tossed in the washer and shoes left on porch . I jumped in the shower. What’s funny is my shifts were usually about 3 -4 hours . Still smelled like roast beef for hours . Lol. When I left there the shoes went into the trash.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd rather see them hire more homeless people off the streets. In Las Vegas, just to work at McDonald's a homeless person must get a health card first from Clark County, to the tune of $350. And how many have served their prison sentences and won't hired as a result of it.
Is that similar to a food handler permit? Here in Texas its about $10 for such permit, and must be renewed every 2 years. I hope they don't have to renew the health card every two years

Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 PM

30,995 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd rather see them hire more homeless people off the streets. In Las Vegas, just to work at McDonald's a homeless person must get a health card first from Clark County, to the tune of $350. And how many have served their prison sentences and won't hired as a result of it.
I don't know what kind of food card costs that much but the one that people need to get a job costs $20
https://www.southernnevadahealthdist...ation-process/

Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,501,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I was answering smug, willfully ignorant, classist spew.

Smirking at the difficulties of older workers getting jobs because McDs will give them part time shift work is somewhere between shockingly oblivious and pointlessly cruel.
It isn't "cruel"; it's a recognition of what the interplay of supply, demand and the legal framework imposed by the government can sustain in this particular instance.

Any enterprise, be it corporate or a private proprietorship, can operate only if it recovers its cost and generates a return (profit) sufficient to compensate the owners -- local people like ourselves in the case of many fast food franchisees. If not, it will simply move on; no return = no jobs.

But in the mindset of people like Master Quietude, that enterprise represents nothing more than a pile of cash to be seized and "redistributed" according to his own standards; So who's the real "exploiter" here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Also add that most seniors aged 65+ have Medicare, so McDonalds wouldn't have to provide even minimal health insurance. Would be nice if they offered dental + vision though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Medicare doesn't cover doctor's bills, though, does it? So McDonalds should provide some type of health or supplemental health insurance for seniors.
if the job attracts and retains employees with sufficient ambition and discipline, they probably will, when they advance to managerial status -- just not immediately upon hiring, same as at most places.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-28-2019 at 08:22 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 07:38 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,701,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Also add that most seniors aged 65+ have Medicare, so McDonalds wouldn't have to provide even minimal health insurance. Would be nice if they offered dental + vision though.
Medicare doesn't cover doctor's bills, though, does it? So McDonalds should provide some type of health or supplemental health insurance for seniors.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,701,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr
Most homeless are nuts and/or drug addicts. I sure as heck don't want them handling food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wrong. Many of them just need a job. You would deny them one? Why? One of the problems in this country is all our contradictory messages and stigma (a big one being the one against mental illness) that prevent people from bettering themselves through their own efforts.
I think it's very safe to say that the great majority of unemployed homeless people need plenty of counseling for one issue or another before they can get back into the workforce.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 PM

8,585 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It isn't "cruel"; it's a recognition of what the interplay of supply, demand and the legal framework imposed by the government can sustain in this particular instance.
Yes, yes, Mr. Rand, drown us in your Lib'tarn drivel about the underclass.

I was specifically addressing a poster who leads the (large) pack of unbelievably smug, self-righteous types who Got Theirs and thinks anyone who Doesn't isn't worth the time to exterminate. But of course a self-labeled L has to get in a pompous screed about The Place of Private Business. So tedious.

Quote:
But in the mindset of people like Master Quietude, that enterprise represents nothing more than a pile of cash to be seized and "redistributed" according to his own standards; So who's the real "exploiter" here?
"Master." I like that. Did you think of it yourself or is it from Chapter 378 of Atlas's Fountainhead?

Other than that everyone looks like a Berkeley hippie from your stack of Rand way over there on the right cliff, you have no idea what my political stance is and, other than sweeping HS like the last, haven't even made a dent in telling me what you think it is.

The Master thinks you might be out of tricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment