U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 07:59 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,918,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If they’re targeting over 65s, how many would be willing to relocate to corporate?

I do agree it’s not brag worthy, but you make it seem like McDonald’s owes the population something. They don’t. Their restaurant jobs are unskilled or minimally-skilled and will pay that way. Unless of course they can’t continue to fill them at which time the pay will go up. I’m already seeing over $10 an hour advertised.

Pay goes up. Hours go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 PM

18,857 posts, read 7,328,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Pay goes up. Hours go down.
Bingo. Corps do their best to avoid cost increases. I work in NYC, and low wage jobs have skeleton staffs far more now, $15mw, than they did 2 years ago, $11mw.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:21 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,501,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, yes, Mr. Rand, drown us in your Lib'tarn drivel about the underclass.

I was specifically addressing a poster who leads the (large) pack of unbelievably smug, self-righteous types who Got Theirs and thinks anyone who Doesn't isn't worth the time to exterminate. But of course a self-labeled L has to get in a pompous screed about The Place of Private Business. So tedious.

"Master." I like that. Did you think of it yourself or is it from Chapter 378 of Atlas's Fountainhead?

Other than that everyone looks like a Berkeley hippie from your stack of Rand way over there on the right cliff, you have no idea what my political stance is and, other than sweeping HS like the last, haven't even made a dent in telling me what you think it is.

The Master thinks you might be out of tricks.

I haven't read anything by Rand since the Eighties; unlike on your side of the fence, the lessons sink in quickly.

But Eric Hoffer is more my kind of philosopher these days -- and he had a lot to say about blind followers.

The term "Master" is a reference to your immaturity, BTW.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM

2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And I can say from experience that a degree in logistics doesn't get you far at Amazon, once you're well into middle age.

It's called real life; the same rules apply everywhere, and no politician can change them.

Get used to it!!!
The same rules don't apply everywhere. Older workers are subject to one set of rules, younger workers subject to another set of rules.

Double standard = corruption.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I think it simply disputes that older people cannot get jobs...
Older people have always been able to get Mcjobs.

Age discrimination means that those are the only jobs one can get after a certain age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If they’re targeting over 65s, how many would be willing to relocate to corporate?
Probably none, since Mickey D's won't pay relocation costs.

Quote:
I do agree it’s not brag worthy, but you make it seem like McDonald’s owes the population something.
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said nor implied that.

What I'm saying is that we don't owe Mcdonalds's a pat on the back for doing what other Mcjob creating companies do with older worker.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:50 PM

1,099 posts, read 571,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yeah, there's always openings over at the Soylent factory. Anyone know why?
It's not rocket science.... It's because Soylent is gaining marketshare at incredible rates:

https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Ar...e-with-Walmart

Old 04-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Will we find out the hard way that Soylent Green is people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAFA-hamZ0

Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 AM

1,163 posts, read 530,604 times
I’m guessing this is only temporary until they can further increase automation.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 AM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's not rocket science.... It's because Soylent is gaining marketshare at incredible rates.
*whoosh*

Done here.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:04 PM

20,534 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for them.

It's nice to see corporations being proactive in helping out a segment of the population that has been treated harshly and unfairly in the work force (age discrimination, etc.).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdon...173251645.html
That’s awesome, said as someone who will probably need to work till I die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment