Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 12:25 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Just thinking the same thing...they may even say “thank you” or other appropriate niceties that seem to have been lost.
There's no tip-mooching at Mickey-D's (Thank God!) and if those comfortable upper-middle-class "consumers" want more needless personal attention, they can pay for it directly. The economy is already stretched to the breaking point, and the problem isn't responsible teenagers -- or responsible retirees; it's the burned-out druggies panhandling and relieving themselves in our streets. I agree that they could use a job -- with walls, bars, and guards as part of the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
I wouldn't mind if it involved me adding up numbers in a back room alone. Other than that I would not be interested at all.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
There's no tip-mooching at Mickey-D's (Thank God!) and if those comfortable upper-middle-class "consumers" want more needless personal attention, they can pay for it directly. The economy is already stretched to the breaking point, and the problem isn't responsible teenagers -- or responsible retirees; it's the burned-out druggies panhandling and relieving themselves in our streets. I agree that they could use a job -- with walls, bars, and guards as part of the deal.
I wasn’t suggesting more personal attention at McDonald’s?! Ha. Do “Comfortable Upper Middle Class” go there for personal attention? I’m talking about saying thank you to someone one who is a customer while you are employed in a position to take their money. “Excuse me?” “Thanks” “you’re welcome” “sorry these other creeps are acting like you’re bothering them when all you want to do is pay and get the hell out of here or they wouldn’t have a job”.

The kind of logic that comes with being old, I guess...

Old 04-27-2019, 01:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
it's the burned-out druggies panhandling and relieving themselves in our streets.
They aren't applying for any job.

However, the percentage of applicants that can't pass a drug test is astounding.
Just another reason to actively pursue seniors.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:16 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I wasn’t suggesting more personal attention at McDonald’s?! Ha. Do “Comfortable Upper Middle Class” go there for personal attention? I’m talking about saying thank you to someone one who is a customer while you are employed in a position to take their money. “Excuse me?” “Thanks” “you’re welcome” “sorry these other creeps are acting like you’re bothering them when all you want to do is pay and get the hell out of here or they wouldn’t have a job”.

The kind of logic that comes with being old, I guess...
Take a closer look at Post #22 (not one of mine, BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I wouldn't mind if it involved me adding up numbers in a back room alone. Other than that I would not be interested at all.
Not all of us are geared to constant interaction with a sometimes-demanding and/or-irrational public and societal trends over the last few decades have made it harder for the introverted to find "good" jobs -- many of us, if displaced, wind up starting over at the bottom of the retail or "customer service" pyramid.

In my own case, I got lucky, wound up dispatching emergency road service at the central office of a large auto club; worked an overnight shift, often in communication with people in other parts of the country who felt the same way -- and knew what they were there to do; sustained by the same values and esprit de corps, we worked well and got along just fine. But jobs like that are getting increasingly hard to find.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-27-2019 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: up

Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Take a closer look at Post #22 (not one of mine, BTW)

Not all of us are geared to constant interaction with a sometimes-demanding and/or-irrational public and societal trends over the last few decades have made it harder for the introverted too find "good" jobs -- many of us, if displaced, wind up starting over at the bottom of the retail or "customer service" pyramid.
True but I prefer to be behind the scene not on the front line

Old 04-27-2019, 01:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Our McD's has a really high number of seniors working there. A few teens, but not many. My teenaged son (responsible, shows up, polite, etc.) couldn't get a job there. He went in to introduce himself to the manager to follow up on his application and .... crickets.

I like the people working at our McD's for the most part-- and I agree about the social niceties- I get a lot more of that from most of the seniors working the register than the younger set.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:39 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd rather see them hire more homeless people off the streets. In Las Vegas, just to work at McDonald's a homeless person must get a health card first from Clark County, to the tune of $350. And how many have served their prison sentences and won't hired as a result of it.
Depending upon whom owns the franchise, hiring would vary.

However, I'm aware that a number of them do in fact hire ex-cons.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:43 PM

21,929 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
??

Old 04-27-2019, 05:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I've seen several articles on this in the last day or two in publications like USA Today and Fortune.

I worked at McDonald's in high school, in the mid-'70s. What made it bearable was the social angle: being surrounded by a bunch of other teenagers, with all the drama and intrigue that entailed. Otherwise, it was a pretty miserable job, at least for me. I still have the occasional recurring nightmare that I can't find a job anywhere else and have to go back and work there.

What sticks in my memory (aside from going home smelling like french fry grease) was how tired I was at the end of a shift after being on my feet for several hours. Not sure how that's going to fly for seniors.
I'm suspecting that back then you may have had a normal 8 hour shift. Now the only ones who have that are the managers...I'm betting the shifts now are 4-6 hours (I have seen many FF places showing 30 hours tops per week) and there's many older female workers who actually would look forward to dealing with the younger crowd...As for the older males...I don't think so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment