Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM

577 posts, read 494,246 times

Advertisements

I think money makes even the most "upstanding" people weak at the knees at times.....

Around forty five years ago I volunteered to help my sister in laws grandmother out, with a defective light fixture located in one of her MANY apartment buildings that she owned and rented.

She was a very nice devout Christian widow woman, that made every dime of her wealth honest. She and her passed husband in their young married years, together pinched and saved and invested in properties during the Great Depression years and thereafter.

At that time I was spending a lot of time driving the toll roads, (50 cent ticket gates) so I always had quarters laying on my dash board storage bin. Sometimes my quarters would get knocked out of the bin and onto my truck's floor carpet.

On the weekends though I always cleaned up my truck and at that time, I would gather up the loose quarters from the floor carpet.

When I picked up the widow woman at her home, she got in to the front passenger side with her "tool box" in hand, which was an old tomato basket with a pair of pliers, screwdriver, crescent wrench ,electrical tape etc. in it.

Just as she sat down, she saw some of my quarters that had fallen on the floor of my truck at her feet. She bent over and picked up all five of them, and put them in her tomato basket.

Then she turned and looked at me and said, " I cannot believe how people just throw good money around nowadays, like that it grows on trees".

I just smiled at her and said, "Yes maam, I know what you mean ". And when I charged her $5.00 to fix a loose wire on the bad light fixture, she gave me four one dollar bills from her pocket and 4 of my quarters, from her tomato basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Although beside the point, do you really think someone who lost $100 won't miss it and try to retrace where they lost it?
I'll point out that often times the money is not collected by the 'rightful owner, even amounts as large as $100. I don't know if people just don't realize the money is missing until it's been so long that they've been to too many places to figure out where they dropped it, or maybe to them the amount is too small to worry about, maybe the money is the result of shady dealings (don't laugh, lots of drug activity in areas I've lived), but for whatever reason nobody really ever calls over the lost money for the most part.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Although beside the point, do you really think someone who lost $100 won't miss it and try to retrace where they lost it?
Of course they'll try to retrace where they lost it, at the very least.

That $100 bill probably wasn't on the floor very long at all! Someone had lost it within the past 5 minutes or so.

If I worked in a store, the first thing I'd do is turn it in and try to find out if it came out of someone's cash register.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My mom worked in a drugstore, and it was story policy. She turned in any loose change left around the counter area or on the floor, at the end of her shift. It's also policy for customers, too, they can't keep money they find inside the store. It's technically considered theft, because they are on store property. They are supposed to turn it in. As for, would anyone catch them? Who knows.
I as a customer once turned in a $20 bill I found in the self-checkout change dispenser. Perhaps stupid, but I felt like it wasn’t mine to keep.

OP there is no way to determine “odds†of whether they know or can find out. But your paranoia may be the thing that gets you in trouble. You did it, it’s done, lesson learned. Don’t beat yourself up, but at the same time accept there may be possible consequences. If so it’s a setback you can get another job and will do better next time. No employer especially corporate chain, is going to tell a potential employer the reason you got fired if it happens.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'll point out that often times the money is not collected by the 'rightful owner, even amounts as large as $100. I don't know if people just don't realize the money is missing until it's been so long that they've been to too many places to figure out where they dropped it, or maybe to them the amount is too small to worry about, maybe the money is the result of shady dealings (don't laugh, lots of drug activity in areas I've lived), but for whatever reason nobody really ever calls over the lost money for the most part.
I wonder how that is knowable. An early Sunday morning, I went to one store looked at some items and left.
About ten minutes later I realized I left my sun glasses in the store and went back checked the two areas in the store where I could have left them. They weren't there and the sales people said no one turned anything in. So, unless there is some sort of record, how would it be known that I left my sunglasses in the store and went back to retrieve them. I have no way of knowing if another customer or a salesperson took them but the store was empty both times.

Hypothetically, you could only know about those items that were turned in and weren't claimed but not necessarily those items that weren't turned in that the owner inquired about.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 PM

130,273 posts, read 12,099,804 times
If you loose something in a public place,there is no way to find out if an employee r a random person picked it up. OP, stop worrying about it, it is over & done. Use it is a a learning experience & decide how you would react next time.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
I wonder how that is knowable. An early Sunday morning, I went to one store looked at some items and left.
About ten minutes later I realized I left my sun glasses in the store and went back checked the two areas in the store where I could have left them. They weren't there and the sales people said no one turned anything in. So, unless there is some sort of record, how would it be known that I left my sunglasses in the store and went back to retrieve them. I have no way of knowing if another customer or a salesperson took them but the store was empty both times.

Hypothetically, you could only know about those items that were turned in and weren't claimed but not necessarily those items that weren't turned in that the owner inquired about.
Exactly. I've been in many places looking for things I've lost. But never told anyone and just assumed it was gone.

And working in retail certainly does not make someone an expert on lost items, what is done with them, or whether or not the owner comes back for them.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:52 PM

21,929 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Um, it was his money. it was his cab. Probably a tip someone forgot to give him.

If you find cash lying around on the floor of a friend's home, would you pocket that also?
No.

Someone was going to give a cab driver a $60 tip? Right. Check.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 PM

21,929 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
That doesn't mean it was right and it doesn't justify you doing the same. If someone forges a check would you forge a check just because they did?
We aren't talking about forgery.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
A long time ago I realized the bank handed me $150 too much. I never occurred to me to grab it and run. I brought the mistake to the teller's attention. She was exceedingly grateful and shocked. To me, there was no other action I could have taken.

I really don't understand all the excuses being made for theft. It's disheartening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment