U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 PM

5,040 posts, read 1,258,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
@julie73

I showed up to work last night, there was just something in the air. I called off tonight though.

My boss doesnt come back until tuesday. If Im being fired, I dont want to wait until then. If evidence is found, shouldnt the firing happen immediately?

You are going to get fired for not coming to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A long time ago I realized the bank handed me $150 too much. I never occurred to me to grab it and run. I brought the mistake to the teller's attention. She was exceedingly grateful and shocked. To me, there was no other action I could have taken.

I really don't understand all the excuses being made for theft. It's disheartening.
COMPLETELY different circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 20 days ago)

9,734 posts, read 3,705,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A long time ago I realized the bank handed me $150 too much. I never occurred to me to grab it and run. I brought the mistake to the teller's attention. She was exceedingly grateful and shocked. To me, there was no other action I could have taken.

I really don't understand all the excuses being made for theft. It's disheartening.
Same here. My mouth dropped open just reading some of these posts. The justifications and rationalizations are what is most disturbing.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:08 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 29 days ago)

10,531 posts, read 14,357,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I wonder how that is knowable. An early Sunday morning, I went to one store looked at some items and left.
About ten minutes later I realized I left my sun glasses in the store and went back checked the two areas in the store where I could have left them. They weren't there and the sales people said no one turned anything in. So, unless there is some sort of record, how would it be known that I left my sunglasses in the store and went back to retrieve them. I have no way of knowing if another customer or a salesperson took them but the store was empty both times.

Hypothetically, you could only know about those items that were turned in and weren't claimed but not necessarily those items that weren't turned in that the owner inquired about.
In the stores I've worked we usually get the contact info from the customer and post a note in the office where it stays for a week or two. We have a little box for lost and found items. Obviously if a someone picks your stuff up and walks away with it we'll never know, but sometimes we find stuff a day or two after the customer has called, although that doesn't usually happen with money. Mostly keys, ID, sunglasses, and empty wallets found in the parking lot.

If you're looking for lost items always ask to speak to a mgr. Cashiers probably aren't going to know or care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
And working in retail certainly does not make someone an expert on lost items, what is done with them, or whether or not the owner comes back for them.
As someone who deals with it as a part of my job it certainly makes me more knowledgeable about what goes on in the background than someone who heard from someone who worked in retail. I think I'm in a better position to know how often items are retrieved by the rightful owner since I'm usually the one giving the money back out of the register.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM

27 posts, read 12,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You are going to get fired for not coming to work.

COMPLETELY different circumstances.
I called off 1 day so what are you talking about?

Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 20 days ago)

9,734 posts, read 3,705,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you're looking for lost items always ask to speak to a mgr. Cashiers probably aren't going to know or care.As someone who deals with it as a part of my job it certainly makes me more knowledgeable about what goes on in the background than someone who heard from someone who worked in retail. I think I'm in a better position to know how often items are retrieved by the rightful owner since I'm usually the one giving the money back out of the register.
I'd bet most people here have worked retail at some point in the past (including myself) and most don't agree with you that it's okay to keep $100 found on the floor of the store you work in. Or that store policies typically allow for it.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,491,104 times
OP, since you are off for a few days, make time to go to the bank and withdraw a hundred dollar bill. Go in early and turn it in before your next shift. You don't need a big story or explanation. Don't talk about the video or how you were just scrounging for cash in your purse. The more you talk the worse it's going to be for you. Just turn it in with a comment that you hope the owner can be found. End of story. And if the manager pockets it, that is not on you. You need to do the right thing regardless of what someone else may do.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM

18,993 posts, read 7,380,409 times
Quote:
I'd bet most people here have worked retail at some point in the past (including myself) and most don't agree with you that it's okay to keep $100 found on the floor of the store you work in. Or that store policies typically allow for it.
Worked retail at 17. Would never think of not turning it in.

First office job btw I feared overpaid me accrued vacation last check years ago. I called them until I got clarification the calculation was correct, refusing to cash it until then. I thought it was earned straight line, and having worked 18 months there, expected 1/2 year2 vacation. It was earned in full day 1 annually, so was 100% year 2 vacation.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:40 PM

20,664 posts, read 16,694,604 times
Quote:
Right. It could also have been an employee who dropped it taking cash out of the register, in which case a co-worker would get fired. I donít work retail but have heard you can get fired if your drawers off even by a dollar.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:43 PM

847 posts, read 221,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
In the stores I've worked we usually get the contact info from the customer and post a note in the office where it stays for a week or two. We have a little box for lost and found items. Obviously if a someone picks your stuff up and walks away with it we'll never know, but sometimes we find stuff a day or two after the customer has called, although that doesn't usually happen with money. Mostly keys, ID, sunglasses, and empty wallets found in the parking lot.

If you're looking for lost items always ask to speak to a mgr. Cashiers probably aren't going to know or care.As someone who deals with it as a part of my job it certainly makes me more knowledgeable about what goes on in the background than someone who heard from someone who worked in retail. I think I'm in a better position to know how often items are retrieved by the rightful owner since I'm usually the one giving the money back out of the register.
My original point was about the $100 cash. I would suspect cash is less likely to turned in that keys, ID, etc. So, if someone lost cash and simply called the store and inquired and was told no cash was turned in, I doubt there would be a record. In fact I have never had anyone ask my name and contact number when I inquired about lost items. I believe you that you keep records but I suspect more likely than not cash is simply not turned in so there is little data on whether or not the owner called to inquirer. To your point, some may not bother thinking it's gone forever. Either way, no excuse for not turning in.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:48 PM

18,993 posts, read 7,380,409 times
This thread makes me feel terrific knowing cashier jobs will mainly be going the way of the dinosaur, with self checkouts instead.

Machines are not dishonest. I use them wherever available, and avoid stores without self checkout options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment